Can't wait until I can start home testing!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I can't wait until I can start home testing my inr. It just irks me when I go into to get my inr checked and I don't hear anything. Went to the hospital yesterday morning at 10 in the morning and I am still waiting to hear my results. Also went so far as to call the doctors office but ofcourse had to leave a message. And still haven't heard anything after an hour. I think I am on the high side because it took awhile to stop bleeding and the cotton swab was cover when I got home. Needless to say I am being as cautious as I can not to cut myself. But jeeze it shouldn't take this long to find out inr results. Normally when I am at the hospital by 10 or 10:30 I have been called with results by 2 that day. I am just beginning. To get impatient with the hospital and doctor's office. Sorry for the rant.

You're more than 3 months out of surgery, so be sure and talk to your doctor about it first chance you get. It's not rocket science. My doctor had me lined up for self testing right after my 1 month appointment post-surgery.

Already have the prescription form mailed in so hopefully it won't be too long. Just don't like waiting for test results especially when I know it doesn't take that long to get it done.

Already have the prescription form mailed in so hopefully it won't be too long. Just don't like waiting for test results especially when I know it doesn't take that long to get it done.

I can so sympathise with you! After my op, for about the first 3 months, I went to the lab attached to my GP's practice for INR tests. I would go early in the morning, but most of the time they never called back the same day - really frustrating:mad::mad: Especially if you are wondering what dose you need to take!
The best day of my life was when my Coaguchek XS arrived, LOL:)

Jackie:

I am continually amazed at how many doctors or hospitals do NOT have POC testing -- i.e., finger-stick monitors -- so they can immediately get INR results and counsel patients on any needed dosage adjustments. Right there -- the immediate feedback and counseling is the beauty of POC testing.

Getting results the next day just doesn't cut it. (I'm sounding like Ross!!! :) )

I've been enlightened enough that if -- and only IF -- I am unable to home-test one day, I won't settle for lab tests.............

I can't wait until I can start home testing my inr.

There's another way to test? tee-hee. I had AVR September 2007, got my CoaguChek XS in January 2008, and haven't been to a lab since! Had a couple venous draws when I was going through surgery for my broken arm, but at that point, I was a captive audience, and just didn't think it was worth a fight.

Jackie:

I am continually amazed at how many doctors or hospitals do NOT have POC testing -- i.e., finger-stick monitors -- s ..

After AVR we traveled over the road for several years in a motorhome. I carried a prescription from my cardiologist to get INR run and give me the results. I had my INR run at a different city, different hospital out-patient lab every month or sooner if out of control. In all those hospitals there was only one that used a finger-stick meter. It was a small country hospital. Of course that was 18 years ago. My new cardiologist office has a meter but I don't know why, for they never use it.

Dayton:

I know I've been rather spoiled. The cardio who saw me through my surgery is in a very large practice (total of 50+ cardios including all locations, plus 7 EP cardios + 4 surgeons) and they have a Coumadin clinic with CoaguChek. When I transferred my ACT management to my own family doctor, lo and behold! he had a CoaguChek.

The only times I have had lab draws were when I had my MVR and when I had a TEE 2 years ago.

I just look forward to having my results right away and when I go to see my family in canada being able to take it with me so that I don't have to either go to a hospital there to get it tested or adjust my travel plans because I have to get it tested. And also since I work afternoon shift I won't feel obligated to get up earlier than I normally would just to have it tested as most days I don't go to sleep until around 1:30 a.m. And getting up at 8 or 8:30 the next morning I am tired all that day because I didn't get enough sleep. Looking forward to having the freedom of home testing and everything that comes with it.

Freedom .......................

Freedom .......................

That's absolutely right.
Once you home test you'll never settle for lab draws.

Latest posts

Back