Can't sleep...feeling kind of depressed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayne,
Sorry to hear your bad news. I have worked for a large telecom for 16 years and reorganizing & downsizing has become the norm over the last few years. We are constanting wondering if our number has come up. The company gives employees 30 days to find a new job internally or otherwise, then they are off the payroll. The severance pay can be up to 1 year's pay, depending on how long you have been with the company.

I often find myself thinking of the scene from 'About Schmidt' with Jack Nicholson where, after he retired after many years, he came by his former office one day. He offered his help to his replacement, who didn't want to give him the time of day. As he is leaving and walking by a garage storage area he spots the boxes with his name on them that contained all of these manuals and analysis he had done to help his replacement after he left. The boxes are just piled in a corner like junk. It reminds me how expendable I am with the company and it helps me keep my priorities straight - and value my time with my family. I can't get that time back!

Good luck in your search for a new job. Hopefully, you will find there was a reason this happened and land a job you love.

Wayne,

Very sorry for what you are experiencing with your job.

I wasn't in the "service length" category that you are, but after my 2003 surgery, I found my job had drastically changed as well. I'm still convinced (rightly or wrongly) that it was a way to "get rid of me" ... which they did with the "restructuring related layoffs" of April 2005.

Thoughs/prayers coming your way....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"You better not try to stand in my way" ... J Paycheck ... 'Take This Job & Shove It'

knightfan2691 said:
".... but after my 2003 surgery, I found my job had drastically changed as well. I'm still convinced (rightly or wrongly) that it was a way to "get rid of me" ... which they did with the "restructuring related layoffs" of April 2005.
Don't you just love those terms: job restructuring, job re-org......nice things to do when someone is off on sick leave.
The long time employees at bigger companies are most vulnerable these days; those big fat pension plans are very costly to keep up.

MaryC said:
I often find myself thinking of the scene from 'About Schmidt' with Jack Nicholson where, after he retired after many years, he came by his former office one day. He offered his help to his replacement, who didn't want to give him the time of day. As he is leaving and walking by a garage storage area he spots the boxes with his name on them that contained all of these manuals and analysis he had done to help his replacement after he left. The boxes are just piled in a corner like junk. It reminds me how expendable I am with the company and it helps me keep my priorities straight - and value my time with my family. I can't get that time back!

I didn't see the movie, but this is so true.

Wayne,

Good luck on your second career. Like your wife, I've always had the "what will be, will be" outlook on life. It doesn't mean I accept it gratiously at times, but I do know deep down in my refurbished heart that I will get thru it in time. As others have said, those doors will open when things are right.

Prayers and good thoughts are coming your way for the light at the end of the tunnel to be the EXIT SIGN GLOW and not the train. :eek: :D ;) :p

Get on that bike and ride your troubles away.

May God Bless,

Danny :)

Feeling more optimistic today

Feeling more optimistic today

The Retention Consultant did not contact me until late this afternoon and we set up a meeting for tomorrow, so I am still not clear on the process or what my income protection will be.

However, I got on the phone/e-mail and contacted a couple of Executives I've worked with in the past who know my work. I was a little intimidated to contact them, as I'm really an introvert, although at work I have to try hard to be an extrovert. I'm glad I did. One is now a VP in another division and she immediately put me in touch with two of her colleagues in areas that are growing. I've got meetings with both of them later this week. It's a completely different business line from where I am now, but in our discussion she said the skills I have could be applied in their business. Another one, who is a Senior VP in one of our sales regions, said to use her name as a reference and she even offered to personally call the hiring manager of any job I'm really interested in. Do you think that's a good idea? I don't want the hiring manager to think I'm too pushy. I was thinking it might be better to just to give her name as a reference and let the Hiring Manager call. What's the proper job hunting protocol? :confused:

Anyway, I am feeling better knowing there are some senior people who value me as an employee and are willing to lend a hand in my job search. I've already got two meetings, although that doesn't necessarily mean there's any specific job opportunity available.

Thanks again for your encouragement, and for lending an ear. I think I'll sleep better tonight. :)

WayneGM said:
Another one, who is a Senior VP in one of our sales regions, said to use her name as a reference and she even offered to personally call the hiring manager of any job I'm really interested in. Do you think that's a good idea?

ABSOFREEKIN'LUTELY!

Any help you can get ... especially if a former manager offers to call on your behalf ... speaks VOLUMES to the Hiring Manager....

And, sounds like you are well on the way ... GOOD LUCK!!!!!

And, Tom ... what cars do you sell?

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"My feet still twitchin' to the music in my head" ... Mark Chestnut ... 'It Sure Is Monday'

Wayne (((hugs)))

Wayne (((hugs)))

I amso sorry that you are having to go through this, but I truly think that when one door closes, another one opens. As the last year has not been a good fit, maybe this will allow you to find a job that is a good fit. I think many people stay in jobs that they are unhappy with because they are scared of gambling ( I mean let's face it, stability is comfortable, if not very exciting). This is forcing you to take that risk and gamble. I just know that it will pay off in the long run for you. Many hugs. J.

Wayne. Hope you are sleeping soundly!!

Sounds like you woke up from your initial daze (my husband went through something like this and believe me....I understand what you mean about being in a daze!) and discovered that you have options and support all around you.

I suspect that you will flow in and out of promising news and flat news until you land yourself in a good spot. Perhaps it will be something like recovery from your OHS. Some days are great and others, not so great. But in the end....it will all work out just fine; maybe be even better for you!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Things are looking up!

Things are looking up!

Just thought I'd update on how the two meetings I had went....they went great!!! :D In both cases, they have an opening I would be qualified for.

One is essentially the same job as I was doing, except in a different division. They are starting a new department, similar to the one I am in, and he wants somebody who can hit the ground running. He's already "asked around" about me and heard good things so he says he knows I can do the job. He's not even going to post the job as he doubts he would get more candidates who would be better qualified, so apparently it will be between me and one other person who can also hit the ground running. Our face to face meeting got cancelled at the last minute but we connected by phone. We've set up a follow-up meeting.

The second one is a completely different job, in the same division as the one above, but I've actually collaborated on several projects with the manager who is hiring so she knows my work. Although the job isn't the same, it is familiar enough that I can see how my skills can be transferred into this role. This one will have more competition for the job but based on our discussion I think I will at least make the short list.

Both jobs are attractive to me so I'd be happy with either, even if I wasn't being forced into job hunting. Both are the same as my current job level so no reduction in pay. As more good news, this division is located closer to where I live. I wouldn't be able to take the train any more, and will have to drive all the way, but it will probably cut my commute time in half (currently an hour and a half each way, combination car & train). And it's in a complex with free parking! So my commuting cost will probably be cheaper, too :D (maybe not if gas keeps rising as it is :mad: ). I'd just have to deal with the odd Canadian snowstorm as part of the route I'd be taking would be backroads through the country.

You, and my wife, were probably right...this seems to be working out for the better. I don't want to jinx it, though, as I don't have either job yet.

I can relax a bit now....I am actually on vacation the next two weeks. I would have postponed under the circumstances except my Mom and my Aunt are coming for a visit. They live in Calgary. I'll still be staying in touch with Retention Services though as I'll still be searching for other opportunities.

Thanks again for the encouragement! :)

That's really good news, Wayne. Enjoy the vacation and best wishes for success with either opportunity!

*Hi Wayne, I was so happy to turn on the computer today and read this great news. Its fantastic. All will be well, Im sure. Enjoy your holiday. Best Wishes.

have you thought about....

have you thought about....

talking to a lawyer? IT seems like the company may be laying you off right when you're due to collect pension, and that may not be legal, especially if you have health issues. I would contact an advocacy group and see if you can get some support that way. you've put in many years with the company, it's not wrong of you to fight for your "equity" in the company.

good luck!

I hope you relax and enjoy your vacation, Wayne!

These things often do take an unimagined turn for the better!

I'm coming into this thread late, Wayne but I wanted to add my words of encouragement and support.

Good karma comes to good people like you, I'm predicting this will be a change for the better. :cool:

Wishing you all the best,
Ruth

job searching

job searching

Hi Wayne,

I am sorry to hear that you may be laid off. I have been laid off/discharged before from a job so I know the feeling. Its a feeling of uncertainty of what the future will hold. Its hard I know, not to know what will happen next. I think as people with heart conditions, it impacts us a little more than most people because of our necessity for health insurance that we can only get through employment. One thing I know there is no guarantee in job stability. Companies operate on the bottom line...money and leave no room for empathy for people like us. It really does suck the way the world works...every man for himself.

But do remember that even though this door may be closing...new doors will open...you are older and probably have a lot of work experience and so that is something that will help you in finding a new job. In my own job hunting I have leaned that it is important to be persisitent and have patience with the job search. Not every interview you have will result in a job offer. This is hard thing to do, but you must go through a lot of rejection from companies before you come across a comany that will want to hire you. Don't let rejection get to you...keep on going and continue to interview. It doesn't mean you are a bad person or not good enough....in my own job search, despite the rejection I have experienced, I continued to be proactive in my job search...knowing that eventually something will come.

I hope that this helps and I wish you the best of luck in your job search.

Danielle

Latest posts

Back