Can't believe it

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again Walter, It's so funny when I tell people I just had open-heart surgery 3 months ago. Their reaction is..Gosh, you look so good, I cannot believe that, Boy, you sure are doing good..It.s like..we are suppose to look like "Death warmed over"...like white as a sheet,or really depressed....I've have started to find it amusing to see what they have to say..Most people are in left field when it comes to heart surgery..I tell them just enough where they don't get really confused. ha..Take care, Bonnie

The discussions about telling people you work with and even family members is very interesting to me. I found the same range of reactions from people when I had two seperate mastectomies, 9 and 10 years ago for breast cancer. You just never know what people's reactions might be. And very few have any real understanding. Hence the great importance of support groups like this.

I am a self-emplyed neuromuscular therapist so had to, at some point a few weeks ago, tell my clients (via a mailing) why I wouldn't be scheduling any more appointments for them until mid-October (I hope). It's difficult with clients because it's very important to me to maintain professional boundaries and yet many of them do really care about what's going on with me. I said in the mailing that I would not talk to them about my health while they were here for there appointments because that is not what they are paying me for. It is hard with some of them to stick to that though. I am giving any of them that want my web address so that they can follow my progress and post messages if they choose but I don't have to put energy into specifically updating them all the time. We'll see how it works. The responses have ranged from no comment whatsoever to clients who have offered to do anything and everything for me!

Hope it all goes very well for you.

JJ

Good luck boys and girls!

Good luck boys and girls!

We'll be pulling for you all on your upcoming surgeries. After that we'll be kicking your butts toward speedy recoveries and your new lives as valve replacees.

Hank was there about 5 (?) years ago, Gina was there four years ago, I was there a little over two years ago, John Cochran and Johnny Stephens were just there, and I can't even touch the rest of the list of 400 plus members who have been there and done that!

As you already know there's a ton of support here. But, please give Father Time plenty of slack. Total recovery may take a bit longer than you might expect, but the results can be fantastic!

Embrace a new lifestyle. There's an incredible trend toward healthier living today. Simple things like choosing a turkey burger vs. a big ol' cheeseburger for lunch will make you feel better or always substituting a bottle of water for a can of pop or a cup of coffee. Recognize that vitamins and supplements really do help in addition to the regular meds you will likely be taking. If you end up taking Coumadin, it really is no big deal. Getting into a long overdue exercise routine is a challenge, nevertheless it will make you feel great once you get there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that once you make the first turn, take the rest of the ride for all it's worth. My surgery experience (and this support group) changed my thinking (unfortunately, it didn't make me any smarter! ha ha!). My obsession over everything to do with my health issues over the past 18 months has passed and I really don't give it much thought anymore. I hope you guys end up feeling as good about it as I do. God bless.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Hi Walter,

Welcome aboard. You come to the right place. We are like one big family here, with the unity we all share. I wish you the best of luck. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.
Reading the post, it struck home about when you tell family and friends that you going to be having your heart valves replaced. Two of mine were replaced and one repaired on March 8th, 2001. The comment I heard most was,"Oh Yeah, so-so had Angioplasty done" Thats not so bad". I realized then, they had no idea what I was talking about. They do not realize you are going to go through OHS! Here we know and understand. Even the Significant Others who have been there right by their loved ones, understand. We are a unique group. I've mentioned this site to my cardio, also in hopes he would turn his patients on to it. Maybe I should just start talking to all the patients when I'm in the waiting room at the cardios office! :D
Please don't try to rush too soon to get back to work. Your body needs some time to heal. Your body will have just undergone a major trauma. Time is the best healer and walking,walking, walking will help get you stronger. Take care and God Bless!

Hi Walter!

I LOVED the post-it note idea! Very funny! I myself was considering using the magic marker approach. I was afraid they'd work on the wrong valve, or install the wrong valve, or forget to consider a repair, or forget which side my heart is on...!!

I didn't tell folks at work, except for about five people - my boss, a main co-worker, and some contractors that I am close to and needed to consult with to plan our projects. Coming back, four more people had found out, mostly admin types that pieced it together from my sick leave and overhearing the bosses. Otherwise, people either don't realize how long I've been gone, or they think it perfectly normal that I was out for a two-month "vacation". And that's fine with me. Before surgery, I didn't have the physical or emotional energy, or the TIME, to repeat my story to the busy-bodies around here. I had to focus all my energies on some very important decisions, know what I mean??!! And if you're not going to help cook, then get out of the kitchen! All my friends know, and you guys, so that's enough for me.

But, enough of me. Walter, I wish you all the best. You're not going through this alone! Take some time to enjoy your summer, every day is a gift.

-Jennie

HI WALTER AND FAMILY....JUST THOUGHT I'D JOT YOU A NOTE TO LET YOU KNOW WE'RE THINKING OF YOU. I KNOW YOUR SURGERY IS COMING UP AND I ALSO REMEMBER HOW WE FELT THE WEEK BEFORE TYCE HAD HIS, SO I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW YOU'RE IN OUR PRAYERS, TOO, ALONG WITH ROSS.

DON'T DOUBT FOR A SECOND THAT YOU'VE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION, AND AS LONG AS YOU'RE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR SURGEON AND HOSPITAL, YOU'VE DONE EVERYTHING YOU CAN POSSIBLY DO. IT ISN'T IN YOUR HANDS ANY LONGER, SO PLEASE ENJOY YOUR NEXT WEEK+ AND REMEMBER TO SHOW YOUR FAMILY HOW MUCH THEY MEAN TO YOU.

I AM THINKING OF YOU, MY FRIEND.

EVELYN

Evelyn,

Thank you so much for thinking about me. Yes I am in the "final" count down. The only other time I was this apprehensive was when I went to Vietnam. Good news is I made it back ? somewhat normal. So I hope the same applies here.

This week I visit the dentist for the last time on the 7th, finishing a crown, and then on the 8th I have my pre-surgery physical. On the 12th I meet with the surgeon and anesthesiologist to go over any last minute questions or issues. My daughters fly out from LA to be with my wife on the 14th and then at 5:15 on the 15th I head to the hospital. The surgery starts at 7:30 am.

So after talking to three cardiothoracic surgeons I am convinced that I need to do this even though I remain asymptomatic.

Today we are going to the lake, the heat is unreal here in Nebraska, and just try to relax. Maybe I should go water skiing ? on second thought maybe not.

I thank you again for thinking of Linda and I. We hope, as you do, that Ross makes it OK, and from what I have been hearing he is improving.

Hopefully you will hear from me around the 20th of Aug when I am back home. Say a prayer for me and think good thoughts.

Walter

Hello Walter,

I'm amazed by the amount of time you were able to get with your surgeon and intrigued by your visiting 3 different surgeons.

What information did you take to the surgeons? Were your cath / echo test results sent to each of them by your cardiologist?

Lack of communication was my primary dissatisfaction with my surgeon and in the end, that may have been partially responsible for his unilateral decision to switch valves on me resulting in a mechanical valve vs my requested Bovine Pericardial.

'AL'

HI WALTER

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE PRAYERS, THEY'LL BE A GIVEN. ONE THING MY HUSBAND JUST MENTIONED.....OUR CARDIO-THORACIC SURGEON REQUIRED A FULL MOUTH DENTAL XRAY TO MAKE SURE THERE WEREN'T ANY ABCESSES JUST PRIOR TO TYCE'S SURGERY. DON'T KNOW IF YOUR SURGEON WANTS THAT, BUT IT MIGHT BE WORTH IT TO ASK.

I'M SURE YOU WILL DO FINE, MY FRIEND. I THINK THE MOST DIFFICULT THING IS TO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL NOW AND REALIZE THAT YOU'LL FEEL TERRIBLE WHEN YOU GET OUT OF THE HOSPITAL TYCE WAS BASICALLY ASYMPTOMATIC AS WELL, BUT SAYS THAT HE FEELS HIS RECOVERY WAS MUCH EASIER DUE TO THAT VERY FACT. BETTER TO TAKE CARE OF IT NOW THAN TO LET IT GO UNTIL YOU ARE HAVING DIFFICULTIES. WE HAVE A VERY GOOD FRIEND WHO IS A PATHOLOGIST IN JERSEY AND WHO TOLD US THAT WHEN AVR'S GO BAD THEY USUALLY PROGRESS QUICKLY. SO KNOW THAT YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE MANY MIXED EMOTIONS.

KEEP IN TOUCH....WE WILL BOTH BE THINKING OF YOU.

EVELYN AND TYCE

Ross, you are so right about people not having a clue about what aortic valve replacement is. I find that the average person doesn't know a valve from an artery--they think having valves replaced & bypass surgery are one and the same!

Walter, my husband's AVR and one bypass were done Feb. 12, so 6 months is coming up soon. He's 65 years old, doing great, and so will you!

Al.

Of the three cardiothoracic surgeons who looked me over.

First was my surgeon here in Lincoln who will do the operation. We meet again on the 12th, three days before the operation.

Second was a friend of the family who is part of the Kay Medical Group and Good Samaritan Hospital in downtown LA. He spent over 2.5 hours with me at my daughter?s house in Santa Monica. He reviewed Echo, Tee and Heart Cath. He also does over 320 heart operations a year. He took me through the whole operation explaining everything, as we sipped wine and ate cheese. He explained the risks, the complications the heart lung machine and the recovery. In some ways I wish he could do it but the logistics are too much. A person he did surgery on, double by-pass for the second time (66 years old) was out shopping in LA twelve days later. He told me that he spends about a half hour with all his patients prior to surgery

Third, was a retired cardiothoracic surgeon here in Omaha Nebraska who I know from the University and is very well respected. He also reviewed all my data. His last email to me stated "You'll do well. The most important thing you can do is to believe you are going to do well--a positive attitude is everything. Good fortune awaits you."

So that is the news.

Walter

Thanks for the informative reply Walter. You were blessed to have such good contacts and the special attention. Did you take written lab reports with you? Did either of your 'second opinion' surgeons view the films of your cath? If so, how did you arrange that?

I had two brief visits with my surgeon who seemed a little impatient with having to answer my 'trivial' questions during our second meeting. Communications was obviously not his strong suit.

Sounds like you will be physically and mentally prepared for your surgery.

Best wishes on your journey,

'AL'

Al,

Thanks.

I arranged for the two surgeons outside of the to get the actual tests and not the interpretations. They were quite insistent about getting the ?raw? data.

The surgeon in LA seemed to be more concerned about the severity of the stenosis, as in his mind that was the most important aspect in deciding when to get it done.

I had the hospital make up a VHS tape of the Echo and TEE, they put them on the same tape. They also made a CD of the heart cath. Only took a day to make them up and so far no charge to do it.

Walter

Walter

Walter

Wow ..you get a choice !...over here in Britland we get no choice of surgeon ,Cardio ,GP ,hospital or even date of op ..the only choice we get is YES or NO ....(and as you know I like to make the most of this LOL) ...best of luck in your choosing ..I have every confidence in my surgeon ..he is supposed to be the best in Scotland for Congential Heart Surgery and the same with my Cardio ...my hospital is a six hour drive ...no option but to drive ..we live up in the Highlands of Scotland ..and we talked to the Surgeon for 10 minutes ..in the middle of which he left the room and took a phonecall ...here you are lucky to be treated ..I think !LOL
Take care
Scottie

Walt - I will be gone for the rest of the week and wanted to wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I will say a prayer for you on your surgery day. I also noticed that today is your birthday. Hope you have a great day.

Bill,

Thanks a lot. I posted my latest news under valve selection. go figure - pre pump head problem I quess

Thanks for thinking of me and my daughters will keep everyone posted.

I just wish Ross would give me a shout but I know he will be OK and corresponding shortly.

Thanks again Bill

Walter

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WALTER!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WALTER!!

Hello Walter

While I'm sure you've had much better birthday celebrations, this one will insure that you'll have many more to come.

I wish for you the very best surgery possible and the most rapid recovery. Your Dr. is right, not letting it go until you have symptoms, getting it taken care, of and continuing to enjoy your life. (with a brief intermission)

I never thought I'd be sitting at this computer with basically everything back to normal in our household 6 weeks post surgery. Well, almost normal, Tyce can't vacuum and I hate to do it, but this too will pass!!!!! We're going to sit and have a glass of wine while I cook dinner (and YES you can have your wine) and then relax for the evening.

You, Ross, Becky, and Alan are all in our prayers and will continue to be. I'm sure you will be fine and thank you for having Pam keep us posted.....we will be thinking of you.

Evelyn

Latest posts

Back