Can't believe it

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wweir

Well,

I called Dr?s office today and I now have a date (I finally got brave and tired of my wife's persistence; she means well and reminds me a lot of Evelyn - ?a very good woman and wonderful person I might add").

I will get my Aortic Valve replaced on 15 Aug with a St Jude Mechanical. I report to the hospital, Bryan LGH in Lincoln, Nebraska at 5:15 am and surgery begins at 7:30, assuming he has no emergencies.

My surgeon, from the Nebraska Heart Institute, www.nebraskaheart.com is a Dr. J. Kent Jex and he has done, according to his office, over 40 valve aortic valve operations so far this year and he apparently averages 30 some heart operations, of all kinds, per month.

People tell me that he is the best. I sure hope so.

My birthday is the 12 of Aug so this will be a very interesting week for me. I told my daughters that I am going to cover myself with post-it notes on my body saying:

? My name is Walter
? Aortic valve replacement only
? Restart heart before closing chest
? Allergic to pain
? Clots not allowed

So now the wait. I read this web site everyday and can tell you it is reassuring to know of all the successes.

Will keep you posted as we move along.

Walter

www.nebraskaheart.com

Can't believe it

Hey Walter...

We'll be with you all the way....and know one thing for sure,
it sure is an interesting ride.
Best of Luck

jackc ( Welland )

Walter I'll pave the way for you on July 22nd.
Do you feel sort of numb? I know I did and still do. The uncertainty is the hard part. I'd have to change one line on your post it notes: I'm allergic to Doctors and Pain!

Congratulations on the date, now hang on for the countdown ride. Sometimes I think it's more adrenalin filled then the blast off (Surgery Day). :)

Ross,

Thank you for the words of support. By the way Ross, you are my real life hero. Your words of encouragement and understanding of all that ?the collective we? are going through, is quite reassuring to someone like me. I like a lot of your friends on this site are all really pulling for you - 110% of the way.

My sixth sense tells me that you will be fine. I of course am somewhat selfish in that regard as I really need you to be in my corner on the 15th of Aug.

You know Ross I am reaching the point, like I am sure you experienced at some point, where I just want this whole blasted thing to be behind me. The anticipation of it all and the unknown issues associated with this whole thing are just mind blowing, to say the least.

I guess all we can do is hope that our surgeons are top notch, are having a good day and do a good job when we are on the table. I figure if there are 440 of us pulling for each other, it cannot be that bad.

Walter

AVR - 15 Aug 2002

Hi Walter-

Congratulations on getting your date. Good health is just around the corner. The next few weeks will have some nervous moments, but there's a lot to do to get ready and the time will pass quickly. There's lots of folks here who've walked along the same path. They've made it smooth for you.

We hope to see lots of posts from you from now on. You're one of a special group.

I am in no way, a hero. I'm a BIG chicken, but I have to admit, I've been strung along since November and I know things aren't getting better, but worse. I can feel the changes, so I better face my big fear and continue on with the surgery.

I'm comfortable with my surgeon.
I had questioned the hospitals competence, but after talking to some previous patients, I cannot justify putting my wife through 130 mile round trip drives, work, take care of what seems like everything caving in here at home, etc. Aultman, where I'm having my surgery, is 12 miles from home. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have to place this in Gods Hands and leave it at that. I cannot control what happens during surgery, so I might as well stop fighting that thought.

I still think you and I need to go up and mingle around the clouds some way. ;)

Hi Walter,

Welcome. Wishing you all the best. And, as we say.... will be waiting for you at the 'top of that mountain'.

It's been close to 4 years since my MVR. Had to believe. Life just keeps getting better. Those were hard words to mention even at a year post op.

Just remember, "it will get better"

All the best

Hello Walter

Getting a surgery date is a big milestone, and now you can focus on getting ready.

I really like your sense of humor regarding the post-it notes. Your humor will be one of your best tools for getting through this smoothly! It will also help your family a lot when they see your sense of humor after surgery...it will be a sign that you are your old self again.

Keep it up, we're all pulling for you!

HI WALTER......SO GLAD YOU GOT YOUR DATE.....I KNOW IT WAS A BIG MILESTONE FOR US WHEN WE FOUND OUT ABOUT TYCE'S DATE, AND YES, IT WAS DEFINITELY SCARY, BUT THERE WAS ALSO RELIEF THAT IT WOULD BE OVER AND DONE WITH. PLEASE TELL YOUR WIFE THAT IF SHE WOULD LIKE TO CONTACT ME, I DEFINITELY WILL BE HERE.....

THERE'S NO WAY I COULD HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT THE SUPPORT OF EVERYONE ON THIS LIST, AND WHEN YOU'RE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR SURGEON AND HOSPITAL YOU JUST HAVE TO LET IT GO AND BE IN GOD'S HANDS........A DIFFICULT, DIFFICULT LESSON TO LEARN FOR ALL CONCERNED, ESPECIALLY ME.

ROSS, JOHNNY, AL, MARYBETH, NANCY AND EVERYONE ELSE ON THE LIST HAVE IMPARTED IMMEASURABLE WORDS OF WISDOM......THEY ARE TRULY SPECIAL ANGELS WHO HAVE COME INTO OUR LIVES, AND I MEAN THAT FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. GIVE YOUR WIFE AND KIDS AN EXTRA HUG, PICK YOURSELF UP AND GO DO SOMETHING NICE FOR EVERYONE.....YOU DESERVE IT.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT AS MUCH AS IT IS YOU GOING THROUGH THE SURGERY, EVERYONE WHO LOVES YOU IS, TOO, IN SOMETIMES A MUCH MORE DIFFICULT WAY.....IT'S VERY HARD TO SEE THE ONE YOU LOVE HAVE TO GO THROUGH SOMETHING SO UNCERTAIN.

BLESSINGS, MY FRIEND.....GOD IS GOOD.

EVELYN

Hi Walter:

Let me add my two cents worth of encouragement. As you scroll the list of members, and read their stories, you will see just how many folks have survived this surgery......shaken, but whole. I am confident that you too will be on that list of folks that climbed the mountain, yelled like a banshee at the top, and then started the slide down the other side to feeling better and living longer. Cuz, that, my friend, is what this is all about! Fear not, God is with you!

Best wishes, again.

Marybeth

Hi Walter, I am one of the lucky ones who didn't have to wait on a date. They found my aneurysm on a Thursday and I had my V/R surgery the following Monday...I will go tomorrow for my 3 month checkup....I am doing great..Life is back to normal...I walk 3 miles a day..I mis the pampering I got during the first 2 months..but I'm glad to be back at the routine of housework, ect...You will do just fine..We have to keep Ross busy until the 22nd..Get him home and keep you busy until your date..Both of you will do great. Bonnie

The post-it note idea struck home to my experience.
A good friend of mine was the perfusionist for my AVR. After they had closed me up, he talked the surgical nurses into using the marker they use to mark the incision point to write funny messages on my chest and toes.
My wife and kids loved it and the humor really helped them to deal with how I looked post-op in ICU with all the tubes and hoses sticking out of me.
Of course I didn't have a clue about what was going on until later that night. When the night ICU nurse came on duty she went to check my chest dressing and broke out laughing when she saw the writing on my chest. In my still groggy state I was struggling to figure out if it was good or bad if the nurse laughed at your incision!

:)

humor is important

humor is important

Good luck to you Walter!

A good sense of humor is important and helps a lot with recovery!

No meds replace the love of your family,laughter and prayer. (Okay well some meds help).

Let me say thanks all for the words of encouragement and good cheer.

Had lunch with a colleague of mine the other day. He had an AVR replacement thirty years ago in Oregon; he was 31 years old and received the Starr-Edwards valve (zero problems to date). Turns out that Starr was the surgeon on his particular operation and apparently Edwards was the engineer of the valve. He said he was on the table about four hours. What was interesting is he has ulcers and while he has had a few bouts of bleeding, he still says that coumadin is no problem and he eats and drinks (in moderation) with no problem.

My game plan at this time is to visit my daughters and their husbands in California for a few days in July and then take the week of my surgery off. My girls both want to then come here to Lincoln so they can be with their mother and me the day of the surgery, so that will be nice.

While I am in California I plan on having dinner with a fellow who had his valve done about three months ago. I will also have lunch with a heart surgeon to get his read on things and hopefully tell me what to watch out for. In addition I am going to tell them about this site. I?ll fill you all in on what I find.

I am also getting my teeth taken care of. Had a good cleaning already and need to get two cavities taken of yet. Yes - I am taking amoxicillin prior to the procedure.

I now have to get around to telling my staff and colleagues about what I am about to go through. It?s all still unreal to me.

Thanks again everyone. With you all on my side I should be OK.

Walter

AVR surgery on 15 Aug

I now have to get around to telling my staff and colleagues about what I am about to go through. It?s all still unreal to me.
I'm curious as to the reactions you'll get out of them.
Don't be surprised if they seem to treat it as just an ordinary surgery. Most people are pretty uneducated about what it's all about.

You'll have to let me know how that goes over. :)

Ross,

I am also curious about their reaction. I have over 100 folks who work for me in various capacities, so I am sure I will get a range of reactions. My direct boss(s) have been very supportive to date. I told them about the 15 Aug surgery date today and they said, ?when will you be back?" I said I should be in the hospital for about 5 days and then home for 3-4 weeks, if all goes well. They then said, ?Don?t rush it, work from home if you can?. I felt good about those kinds of comments. Heck I do get six months of sick time, so??. Anyway, don't worry I'll let you know what happens.

You know as an east coast guy, born and raised in Passaic, New Jersey, my view is that Midwesterners seem to be a lot more inquisitive than most regarding personal kinds of things. Heck maybe it?s a good thing, who knows.

While I want my colleagues and co-workers to know what is going on with me, I really don't want to get too personal about the whole thing, if you know what I mean. In fact I have been more open and honest with you and all our friends on this site, than just about anyone else except my close personal family.

In some ways I find it somehow strange that a site like this can somehow allow us to be more open, about what most would call really personal things. Yet it really seems that folks, like us, who are in this rather strange health predicament, can somehow feel comfortable expressing our fears, hopes, thoughts and concerns without feeling incredibly self conscious and reserved about the whole thing.. What a wonderful thing this site is.

Had I not found all of you, I am sure I would be a total basket case by now.

Thanks Ross to you and everyone else ? your concern and thoughts - keep us all going.

Walter

AVR 15 Aug

I can't thank Hank enough for starting this site as a place for all of us nor can I not thank Perry Anderson for doing what is possible to help Hank keep this site alive (T-Shirt Sales). I know I would be a basket case without all of you. To a couple of you, I'm still a basket case, but that's beside the point.

We are all so close because of the fears that we have and the processes that we go through. These are unique to us and what seems to be, us only and immediate family (Spouse, kids etc). I can't say how many times I've tried to talk to someone that has never had a heart problem, only to be left feeling like HELP, they don't understand or they don't share the feeling that is eating you inside. Some actually make jokes about it!

Walter I'm glad your established in your employment. That is a huge help. I know my boss went way out on a limb for me, though at the time I thought of him as a complete jerk, but I see now what it was he was doing. He knew the company was folding and took every precaution to safe guard my benefits, such as short and long term disability. Without those, we would have sunk in no time. I look at him in a whole different light now, though he is no longer my superviser, as I'm unable to work.

Please talk it out when you get the reactions. I'm continuously amazed at how people act.

Last edited:
It sounds as if you are getting everything in order Walter.

Hopefully, that will bring you peace as you await your surgery.

A few other reminders would be to check / update your will, living will, power of attorney, medical power of attorney, and beneficiaries on band and investment accounts, just to cover all the bases.

Will your wife be available around the clock for the first two weeks you are home? It might be good to have some additional help during that time, especially if she needs to work, or just get away from it all for a while and go shopping etc.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery !

'AL'

HI WALTER

IN NEW YORK IT'S 3:13 IN THE MORNING.....FOR SOME REASON I DO MY BEST WORK AT THAT TIME. IT'S ALSO THE QUIETEST TIME IN THIS HOUSE AND NOT A THING NEEDS TO BE DONE, SO I HAVE SOME TIME THAT IS FREE.

I WAS JUST READING YOUR POST REGARDING TELLING YOUR EMPLOYEES AND RETURNING TO WORK. I THINK YOU WILL FIND IT SURPRISING IN THAT MOST PEOPLE ARE GENUINELY CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR SURGERY. I KNOW WHEN I MENTIONED IT AT MY SCHOOL, EVERYONE "RALLIED AROUND ME" AND WHEN TYCE TOLD HIS PEOPLE AT WORK, THEY DID THE SAME THING. THEY'VE SINCE SENT CARDS, VISITED AT THE HOSPITAL, ETC. TYCE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE WORKAHOLIC, BUT IT'S VERY INTERESTING THAT NOW HE'S SAYING.....4-6 WEEKS, BUT MAYBE 8 AND THEN STARTING BACK PART TIME.

HE ALSO HAS THE ABILITY TO WORK FROM HOME AND THE DAY BEFORE SURGERY BROUGHT HOME LOTS OF COMPUTER DISKS, ETC.......HE HASN'T LOOKED AT ONE YET. HIS PRIORITIES, HOPEFULLY, HAVE CHANGED......I KNOW MINE HAVE!!!! I'M SURE, NOW THAT HE'S FEELING BETTER, THAT HE WILL BE IN CONTACT WITH WORK SHORTLY, BUT I HOPE IT WON'T BE WITH THE SAME INTENSITY.

AS FAR AS EVERYONE ON THIS SITE GOES, WELL, YOU'RE RIGHT, THEY ARE VERY SPECIAL. PERHAPS THE PHRASE "IN UNITY THERE IS STRENGTH" HOLDS TRUE HERE. THERE DEFINITELY IS A VERY STRONG BOND, AND AS ROSS ONCE TOLD ME, ONCE YOU'VE BEEN ADOPTED, THAT'S IT!!!! I KNOW WHEN I TOLD TYCE'S CARDIO ABOUT THIS SITE AND RECOMMENDED THAT HE TELL ALL HIS VALVERS ABOUT IT, HE LAUGHED, BUT HE DID WRITE IT DOWN AFTER I TOLD HIM HOW WONDERFUL AND SUPPORTIVE IT WAS.

KEEP THE FAITH, WALTER.---NAH, BETTER YET, PASS IT AROUND.

EVELYN

HI Walter-

Joe and I have found that there are few people who can relate to this surgery, family and friends alike. Their understanding is of regular surgeries, and I've seen their eye glaze over when I try to explain what has gone on. It's way to complicated, except for those who've lived with it.

That's what makes this site so fantastic. Everyone here understands without an enormous amount of explanation. And the questions and answers are honest and forthright, because we want to help others who have to go through the process.

Fear also comes into play when you try to talk to most people about operating on the heart.

So we're here and we're your cyber, valver "buds".

Latest posts

Back