Can you identify? Part 5

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mntbiker

Last one for this week.

This is in Georgia.

Hint: this is the second largest tree in Georgia. It is accessed via one of the more popular mountain bike trails (that is why the wife and kids have on helmets). The tree is almost 20ft around and over 100ft high. :eek:

Picture046.jpg

Based on the lack of response... Google searches are allowed.

Another hint: This is off the Bear Creek trail just outside Ellijay GA.

You are right Ann, not far from Bonnie's house, well maybe about 30 minutes or so.

mntbiker said:
Based on the lack of response... Google searches are allowed...
Well, since I'm back in the running and not disqualified this time for various offenses ;) ... And, as per my lazy search engine, Georgia actually has A LOT OF SECOND LARGEST TREES!!!

Are we talking the second largest poplar or the second largest white oak or the second largest magnolia or...

Ah-ha... "...Stop and take a picture at the Gannet Poplar, a very old and massive tree along the trail..."

maka said:
Can you make tea out of it roots?
Evidently out of the poplar root and bark... (Maka got that one I guess...)

Your search prowess is impressive :D ;) , you have found it. Since you found that link can you tell me who it was named for and why?

mntbiker said:
Your search prowess is impressive :D ;) , you have found it. Since you found that link can you tell me who it was named for and why?
Nope. I can't find it.

Frank Gannett maybe? Is there a connection to Poplar Bluff, Missouri? No?

Geebee will probably figure it all out :cool: ...

Happy picture anyway :D . It reminds me of one we took of our boys many years ago under (hmmm, was it the General Sherman?) some enormous tree in Sequoia National Park. Such fun times!

Actually, I was thinking about the Sassafra tree...it grows in parts of the South

Back