Can Surgeons without experience install the On-X valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdryer

Hi Kids

The extreme Jock is back looking for advice from his beloved support group.

I like others here have been doing my research after being diagnosed with a failing Aorta valve. I go to sleep with my ipad studying this site looking for clues. From what I have found, being in the mid 50's is the worst group to be in for valve selection. Yup I'm 55 coming on 18. Father God, why can I still cruise thru the tri sports with an AV that only opens .6 of a cm. Settle down Al Capshaw, we have chatted and I am cruising!

I WANT AN On-X FOR CHRISTMAS! Way up here in my Canadian city [we have been the second coldest place on earth recently] no surgeon installs the On-X brand. Does any one know if this is an inhibiting factor for a surgeon? IE does a surgeon need training to install a valve type/brand that he is not familiar with?

Young Alex, if you are reading this, end your pity party now! The technology is progressing exponentially. In the near future, surgeons will install a stint and replace the leaflets by Cath. Unfortunately we the older gen, have to settle for current technology. Dude, vent you woes on research! You are of university caliber and as such research is now your game. Get on it and feel good!

Dreaming of an On-X Christmas

I think they have reps that come out to help the surgeon with the first few implants. As far as the difference between the on-x and another valve for implantation, it's really the sizing and the handling that are different. The most important caveat they have is to NOT oversize the valve. The sizers are different, and the holder I think is different. The sewing process looked the same to me when I watched a youtube video of an implantation.

Here's the video specifically for the on-x implant technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6xS3sYSAl8

Pass the popcorn,great flick!

Pass the popcorn,great flick!

Hey Duff man

Great movie. Yea I can see that a tech rep would be of benefit when a surgeon is fitting/installing a different brand Av valve.

I will contact the Canada tech rep tomorrow, oops it's your Thanks giving, hence on Friday to see what the protocol is!

Thanks again

bdryer,

The day before my AVR surgery 4 months ago I met with my surgeons assistant to answer any questions I had prior to surgery. I was at Mayo Clinic and my surgeon was the head of heart surgery for Mayo. I wanted an On-x but I had been unable to learn from my cardio what types they use there. The surgeons assistant claimed to not know and also said I was the first patient in his experience to ask that question, so I asked to see my surgeon. 3 months earlier when I met with my surgeon I asked him what type of mech valve he would use and he answered "the cheapest one because they are all the same"

Over the next several months I quickly became familiar with valve types and histories and soon decided I wanted the On-x. So now the day before my surgery the Doc comes in to speak with me and tells me he plans to use the St Jude Masters valve because that was the hospitals policy. He had never used an On-x. I was SO disappointed I almost cancelled my surgery right there and then. I told him I was determined to get that valve and I had tried twice to get this info so it was the clinics fault I was here a day before surgery ready to cancel. We had a few awkward and even heated few minutes before his demeanor changed and he asked me to wait while he made a call.

20 minutes later he entered the room all smiles and said he had arranged for an On-x valve to be there by morning and he would be glad to use it. He also said On-x would send a rep to assist (before or during?) the surgery.

Now I was a little uneasy being his first On-x surgery, but with a few prayers and a couple glasses of wine that eve I felt much better. I figured he was at home studying the On-x procedure and has placed thousands of valves anyway so why worry?

Now I'm the proud owner of an On-x aortic valve and feeling strong and well. I trust he did the job well.

The day after surgery when I met with him and his team he made a telling comment to my wife that I didn't hear. He said with a sheepish grin the On-x is a very nice valve.

I figure I might as well relate my experience while we are at it here. Take from it what you will. I am an active, fit AVR patient who had surgery at Sunnybrook in Toronto. The fellow who cut me won awards while a resident at the Cleveland Clinic. I too got interested in the On-x valve and in one of my pre-surgery visits I asked him about it. He said that it might be a very good valve but that he generally uses Carbomedics valves because at this point they have the best track record out there, (As near as I can tell the differences are marginal) and because they have been around long enough that we know they are very durable. When I thought about it I couldn't really think of a good response to that other than "OK". Two weeks later I was wearing a shiny new Carbomedics 29mm and 17 months after that I have no regrets. My echocardiograms show excellent haemodynamics and my hands and feet don't get numb as easily any more. It is also very quiet. I can hear it in a quiet room, or with a stethoscope but not otherwise anymore.
All the best. I hope that you find what you want, or that it finds you.

Hi Bruce,

I recently had an On-X replace my older St Judes at the Cleeland Clinic, in OH.

Prior to this I did talk with a real nice representative from On-X. Gret information. In fact, they even have all the stats on which doctors intall them, and how many surgeries each has done.

I would suggest that you go to their site and contact them. On their web page is a link to "Contact Us". try it.

Their site link is: http://www.onxlti.com/onxlti-hvp-onx-valve.html

Wishing you a very Merry On-X Christmas.
Rob

Bruce, I was in a similar situation and contacted On-X. They coordinated with the surgeon and had an On-X rep that was there during the surgery in the operating room. The surgeon that did my operation had never done an On-X before. He wanted to use St. Jude, which I guess had a contract with the hospital. But its your choice and you have the right to specify what you want. The surgeon commented afterward that the surgery went "perfect". It must have because I'm still here to talk about it, and my workouts in the gym and on the bike trail are testimony to the great efficiency of the valve. Your contact at On-x to answer your questions is Catheran Burnett, 888-339-8000 x265 (work) or 512-413-9469 (cell), [email protected]

Good luck!

Thx for the On-X info

Thx for the On-X info

Hey Gang

Thx for the contact info. Al Capshaw got me set up a while back.

Your experience has given me terrific guidance and comfort. That being, a tech rep is in the OR giving direction for Surgeons who are first time On-X AV installers.

Smelling the carbon and hearing the clicking

We have had a few members who persuaded their Surgeons to use an On-X valve for the first time with good results. I've forgotten some of their names, but one was at Cleveland Clinic, another in Colorado, and Dan Tread from MD who wrote above.

Ask your surgeon if he would be willing to discuss implanting an On-X valve with one of their representatives. Note that Catheran Burnett was a Cardiothoracic Surgical Nurse at Baylor in Texas before going into the 'Valve Business' (at Carbomedics, then St. Jude, then On-X).

'AL C'

Bruce, I was in a similar situation and contacted On-X. They coordinated with the surgeon and had an On-X rep that was there during the surgery in the operating room. The surgeon that did my operation had never done an On-X before. He wanted to use St. Jude, which I guess had a contract with the hospital. But its your choice and you have the right to specify what you want. The surgeon commented afterward that the surgery went "perfect". It must have because I'm still here to talk about it, and my workouts in the gym and on the bike trail are testimony to the great efficiency of the valve. Your contact at On-x to answer your questions is Catheran Burnett, 888-339-8000 x265 (work) or 512-413-9469 (cell), [email protected]

Good luck!

Off topic but I googled this phone # and was directed right back here for this Texas number I may suggest you look up and contact one of the Canadian Heart Institutes in Vancouver, Ottawa or Montreal

Off topic but I googled this phone # and was directed right back here for this Texas number I may suggest you look up and contact one of the Canadian Heart Institutes in Vancouver, Ottawa or Montreal

Not sure why you would Google the number instead of just picking up the phone and dialing. I double checked the On-X website and the (888) 339-8000 is listed as a valid toll free number for On-X for the U.S. and Canada. If you want to pay the toll charges you can call (512) 339-8000.

The On-X website lists these numbers at: http://www.onxlti.com/onxlti-reqinfo.php

Here is an excerpt from the above On-X web page:

Contact and Information Request

phone: (888) 339-8000 extension 261 toll free US and Canada
phone: (512) 339-8000 extension 261
fax: (888) 339-3636 toll free US and Canada
fax: (512) 339-3636

Latest posts

Back