Can I Play Ice Hockey after VR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick said:
Sean,
Just wondering if you ever considered a Ross, given your age?

Rick

I have considered the ross procedure but I don't want to turn a one valve problem into a two valve problem. I'm worried about the longevity of the pulmonary homograft and the amount of scar tissue on heart and great vessels. Plus the coranary arteries have to be reimplanted with this procedure which can give you some trouble down the road. No doubt that this is an excellent alternative for young people who are still growing, it's just that I have not seen enough long term data on folks who had this procedure to be comfortable with it.

As an ice hockey player, coach and referee myself, and 4 months post mech VR, and trying to recover the lungs.......What has been the fall out, etc on coming back to the ice? i'm back to coaching, but I really, REALLY want to return to the reffing and playing in rec league as I know my IIHF days are over. Any additional info is appreciated on making the decision to come back and lace em up again or not. I'm 30 and healthy otherwise. INR is balanced around 3.2 as per the Dr.s rec, but i appreciate the input any of you have.
Thanks
JC

My son is a hockey player and coach for Yale, so of course anything with hockey gets my attention. I read a story a few weeks before my surgery of a Pro who had a valve replacement and was back to playing. I will try and find the link and send it.

xoxo
Just
KathyM

Kathy, Teppo Numminen was the player, I am friends with Craig Ludwig and some other NHL'ers and i am trying to get more info on his procedure, at this point I know it was a mitral valve repair, but that's it. more to come I hope.
JC

Latest posts

Back