Can I Play Ice Hockey after VR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rn_cvicu

Hi all,

I'm in the waiting room for VR and I want to know if it may be possible to continue to play ice hockey in my men's league after VR.

I think I will choose a mech valve when the time comes and I know I will have to be on coumadin. I don't think I want to subject myself to more OHS with tissue valve.

I'm not a goalie and I always wear a helmet with full face mask and full pads when playing. There is no checking in this league. I never suffered any severe injury while playing hockey. I love the sport and would like to continue to play.

Hockey

Hockey

Why not? If you're doing the hockey thing with full protective gear and you want to do it, I doubt there'll be any major issues that will stop you from pursuing the activities you want to do.

-Philip

Im a Goalie

Im a Goalie

Hey another hockey player AWSOME!

My name is Joey from Canada 31yr olds just had Valve replacement on April 04/08, a mech valve. I've played hockey all my life (goalie). I'm going to return playing hockey just not right now, maybe in a year from now. The thought of just giving up the sport isn't posssible.
But there might me some concerns first that i have to think about.
The Dr. explained if have approx 20 pounds of pressure to ur chest the mech valve will break ??
The bruising when ur on blood thinners?? So i have to do some more research.. if u find any new info write back

joey

Oppppss sorry about that 20 pounds thing. I meant if you fell 20ft and fell directly on ur back ur mech valve would shatter, thats how my Dr. explained it to me..

Joey

Sorry Canucks about the "ice" hockey thing. No offense. We here in the warm states have the option of ice or roller. Getting hit with a puck is a little more devastating than getting hit with the ball in roller hockey. We usually are not that "chippy" but you know how it gets when you play certain teams. I never knew of anyone suffering head injury in our league so I hope my doc will let me play.

And yes it is pretty nice to go from the beach to the ice in about a half hour.:)

Not to rain on your parade, but I would not choose a mechanical valve if I were in your shoes.

Oh, wait: I am in your shoes. I play sports that can involved falling and getting knocked over, too.

It's internal bleeding that's so dangerous for people on coumadin who can get knocked around. And maybe a no-checking league with lots of padding would protect you. I know that one reason I'm having a non-mechanical valve is inline speed skating. Slamming down on the rink would be dangerous on coumadin. The other sport is jumping horses -- the dangers of THAT on coumadin are obvious. In fact, any part of horse training is dangerous because horses are unpredictable.

No, I don't want to repeat my surgery in ten years, but at least I will have a quality ten years.

ponygirlmom said:
Not to rain on your parade, but I would not choose a mechanical valve if I were in your shoes.

Oh, wait: I am in your shoes. I play sports that can involved falling and getting knocked over, too.

It's internal bleeding that's so dangerous for people on coumadin who can get knocked around. And maybe a no-checking league with lots of padding would protect you. I know that one reason I'm having a non-mechanical valve is inline speed skating. Slamming down on the rink would be dangerous on coumadin. The other sport is jumping horses -- the dangers of THAT on coumadin are obvious. In fact, any part of horse training is dangerous because horses are unpredictable.

No, I don't want to repeat my surgery in ten years, but at least I will have a quality ten years.
Lets put it in proper prospective here. If your INR is in range, your stable and test sufficiently, you are not going to burst into a massive ball of hemoglobin. The risks of bleeding comes from P poor INR management, noncompliance on the part of the patient, infrequent testing or no testing. Those of you following the guidelines to a T aren't going to have problems. Many of us have done more insane things and still do. A person can limit themselves however strictly they wish, but for the hell I went through, this valve is not stopping me from doing as I please nor living my life and neither is Coumadin.

I'm not buying into the valve breaking if it falls 20ft. Someone gonna have to demonstrate that one for me to believe it. Think about it. Your found lying on the ground, CPR is intiated. Don't you think those chest compressions are more then 20 lbs of force? People would be in real trouble if this is the case.

Good Years?????

Good Years?????

Give me a break...opting for a tissue valve instead of a mechanical because one wants to have a few "good years" left before getting it replaced with a mechanical...sorry...I don't buy the bruising issues mentioned in some of these posts either.

Yes, perspectives regarding activities after AVR surgery, what activities one should engage in following AVR surgery, and percautions to take while on coumadin will vary from individual to individual. Life is all about the choices we make.

Before and immediately after my AVR surgery, I was very concerned about what kinds of limitations on my activities would be necessary due to my mechanical valve, dacron aorta, and coumadin use. I genuinely appreciated my surgeon and cardiologist's perspective on these concerns. In conversations with both, they told me AVR surgery is about getting on with life and living that life as normally as possible. Both asked me if I wore protective equipment when pursuing the activities I enjoyed. When I gave them an affirmative answer both asked me why I would think I couldn't continue those activities. Essentially, both told me to engage I whatever activities I wanted to engage in.

Yes indeed, I've had some mishaps and accidents which have left me bruised, somewhat broken, and battered since my AVR surgery in March 2007. Guess what, I had mishaps and accidents which left me bruised, somewhat broken, and battered before my AVR surgery in March 2007. Broken bones and bruises heal regardless of whether or not you're on coumadin.

I quit training horses about twenty-two years ago, but if I was still into it now, I wouldn't let my mechanical valve or the fact that I'm on coumadin stop me from doing it. Would a tumble from a horse or getting bounced off the boards in a hockey rink possibly result in an injury? Yes, but injuries under these circmustances are possible whether the individual is taking coumadin or not on any medications at all. I never have been a hockey player, but I got bounced quite often when I was doing the horse thing.

Again, perspectives will undoubtedly vary and I'll apologize to those who disagree or are offended by mine, but I firmly believe having an artificial aortic valve and being on coumadin doesn't make us fragile. Manage your coumadin properly, wear appropriate safety equipment, pursue the activities you enjoy, and enjoy your life. Exercising common sense doesn't mean you have to totally abandon the things you love.

-Philip

I haven't changed my activities at all since my surgery 10 years ago, except to exercise more. I don't play any kind of organized sport, but I've ridden roller coasters, water slides, tubed the Guadalupe, roller bladed, jogged, wrestled with my kids, driven too fast, shaved with a non-electric razor, jumped rope (former 1st grade teacher), etc. I've been cut, bruised, and bandaged, although none of the cuts were terrible. The worst I've had was when I slammed the back of my SUV on my head and after about 5 hours of oozing blood, I went to the ER and paid dearly for some super glue.

If you are wearing protective gear and get your INR monitored regularly, there is no reason to stop.

OK reading this thread with interest.
I was told to avaid any sport wit the risk of concussion.
I play in the SCA (Society for Creatiove Anachronism / Medieval fun) where we wear full armour and belt each other with sticks, sorry swords :D
Its full contact and people have been concussed, though I never have. and broken bones, though I never have, on the rare occasion.
I was told by the surgeon I would never be able to do it again.
Should I be asking about the risks with a stable INR? I was told I will be getting a home testing unit.

I would love to continue fighting heavy (in full armour) if possible.
I will still continue Rapier combat as its not full contact just get bruising.
I still continue to compete eve now in teh lead up to my surgery.
A risk/benifit thing. I find it no more strenuous than a brick walk, my HR doesnt increase as far as a good walk nore does my BP increase to that rate. so I think its great excercise.

Ill be interested in your decision and how it goes.

Im uncertain to the answer. I havent had any lifestyle changes with exception of playing organized hockey which had dropped off anyway before surgery.

Doing lots of skating and now with summer, will start rollerblading. a little uncertain due to yahoo's on the ice, not so much due to coumadin but rather get nervous of big contact with a piece of carbon in my chest. it may be an irrational concern. my surgeon origianlly said do everything but no contact sprots, the alst time i saw him and I asked about restrictions, he just said go and live life.

the roughest sport since surgery has been flag football, no problems whatsover.

Mike

You asked why

You asked why

Here's an answer...

It's not a simple thread when folks assume that a mechanical valve an coumadin have a negative affect on quality of life. Obviously, opinions will vary and perspectives will differ regarding this topic. As noted in previous posts, life is about the choices one makes.

Speaking from my very own personal and probably biased perspective, when I read a post touting someone's perceptions of how an artificial valve and coumadin will negatively affect one's quality of life, you can count on me to express my opinion and share my life experience as it develops. I simply don't buy the concept that an artificial valve and coumadin makes us fragile.

The folks out there who are struggling with valve choices for various reasons need to hear different perspectives. Yes, valve choice is personal.Those who are considering an artificial valve, but fear that they will no longer be able to continue their active lifestyles or engage in the activities they love need to know that a great number of coumadin users haven't endured any negative impacts on their lives.

In previous posts, I've related the story of my grandfather who had to take coumadin on a daily basis to prevent blood clots in his legs. Due to misconceptions about the drug, he was convinced that he would bleed to death if he cut himself shaving. Could he have bled out if he had slipped with his razor? I guess if fate had played out that way it would have been possible, but I'm sure folks would agree that the chances of that happening would have been very unlikely. When he passed away he was in his nineties and a slip with his razor didn't get him. Neither did the horses or cows he worked with up until a couple of months before his death

...a simple thread...no it's not a simple issue...but then, this my simple opinion.

-Phillip

bicuspidboy said:
Different perspectives - that's why there's chocolate & vanilla.
Yeap.

I don't see it as a tissue vs mechanical thread. Here's that chocolate and vanilla deal. I see it as once again, Coumadin is being made out to be a monster that would hinder someones choices. I know there are plenty of people that don't mind going through more surgeries, but I can't stress enough that this is one surgery that should only be done one time if it can at all be helped. Now take that for what it's worth. People who have not had surgery have no idea what they're bargaining for. They can listen to us tell them about experiences, but I assure you, if everyone had the experiences I did, reops wouldn't be discussed. I know for fact I will not make it through a third surgery, so my choice was easy.

None the less, we can argue this scenario until the cows come home. So long as a person is understanding of what they're in for, they can make the choice.

Agreed. This once was a death sentence to all. I think that as the medical profession slowly pulls it's head out of it's butt and begins to try to understand Coumadin, things will swing around and you won't hear the stories that you hear now. To this day it amazes me at how far in the stone age our Doctors are on anticoagulation compared to some European countries. Heck even the highest regarded anticoagulation physician isn't heard by lots of his colleges. We have a long way to go there.

Yes ideed, the word fragile was not used by those who've posted comments about valves falling apart if some one takes a twenty foot fall and lands on his/her back, or mentions concerns about excessive bruising, or talks about negative life quality issues related to coumadin, but the inference is there.

I'll happily continue to encourage people to pursue the activities they enjoy and live normal lives whether they opt for valve replacements which require coumadin use or not. I'll stand by my original reply to the original post on this thread. If I were a hockey player and wanted to continue playing after AVR surgery, I'd probably be putting on my protective equipment, exercising some common sense about how I play, and I'd be playing.

Unfortunately, there is not consistency within the medical community regarding coumadim. As is often noted here this inconsistency often extends to the treatment of heart valve problems. Consider the recent discusion involving a member whose doctor didn't see a problem with waiting until June to fix a 5.8 cm aortic aneurysm. Many of us who have been down that same path were amazed that the "fix it immediately" alarm wasn't sounding in that doctor's head. My surgeon and cardiologist wanted my 5.8 cm aortic aneurysm fixed as soon as they could get me on the schedule.

Perhaps I'm fortunate because my surgeon and cardiologist view AVR surgery as a means giving people a new lease on life, and do not view coumadin as a drug that places restrictions on the activities people want to pursue. Their perspective fits my way of thinking about life after AVR surgery quite well.

If other people want to view mechanical valves and coumadin as restrictive and limiting, they are certainly entitled to their opinions and responsible for their decisions. Just don't expect me to join that particular group of people anytime soon or sit silently by while they express their opinions.

Somehow, I'm under the impression that expressing opinions, questioning, offering advice based upon experiences, and sharing experiences comprises at least part of the support system upon which this forum is based.

-Philip

Ross procedure

Ross procedure

Sean,
Just wondering if you ever considered a Ross, given your age?

Rick

My son is a hockey player and coach for Yale, so of course anything with hockey gets my attention. I read a story a few weeks before my surgery of a Pro who had a valve replacement and was back to playing. I will try and find the link and send it.

xoxo
Just
KathyM

Here's my 2 cents..............

Take what information you can gather. The risks are pretty well known. The rewards and your passions are very personal and impossible for us to help you with, except for sharing our own stories and passions. Weigh them and somewhere in the balance you will find an answer that you can live with ....... and enjoy!

I figure that my AVR surgery has given me a second chance to live life to the fullest. Les Barrett said it something like this ... "I'd rather wear out than rust out." Les was the first AVR to run a marathon. I followed his lead and later switched to triathloning. When I'm not training for something, life just doesn't seem as rich.

Hi RN , have you ever been on coumadin?, If not you should do a kinda field test.I know Im Very abnormal , but coumadin and I dont get along.If it
wasnt for that I would have taken a mechanical valve.
Im not sure how dangerous hockey would be, but if you do begin to
hemorrhage, you will know what signs to watch for...fast thready pulse,SOB,
etc,etc:p
Just Kiddin, Your comrade at arms,

Latest posts

Back