Can I get some advice?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynnconnolly

Hi all, at present, my latest echo shows that I have mildly leaky tricuspid, mild to moderate mitral leak and moderate to severe aortic leak... however, I want to start doing physical exercise again, but I don't know what I can or can't do.

I've asked my doctor and he was totally evasive and wouldn't give me an answer. My local gym won't give me access to a trainer because they're worried I'm going to die on them ;)

So... any advice on what form, type and/or length or exercising I can do? My doc did say no weights and no isometric exercise - whatever that is - but can I run? Can I use a skipping rope? Can I do aerobics?

Any advice gratefully received!

Lynn

Well, I guess it depends upon how you feel. I exercised right up to the day before I was hospitalized upon diagnosis for mitral valve prolapse/tia/class IV heart failure. I ran dog agility and walked. Not that it was easy, I was obviously ill, though undiagnosed/misdiagnosed, and NOT that I was under the care of a cardiologist until the day before!

Presently, I have moderate to severe aortic insufficiency, and my pulmonary valve has a mild leak, too. I exercise daily: walk, lift light weights, run dog agility, dog obedience, and use the elliptical machine (if I MUST). My cardiologist encourages me to exercise.

Maybe you should try to pin your doctor down more on the exercise: what do you want to do, how much, how often. Come up with a game plan and discuss it, even if you have to get an appointment just to do so.

Lifting heavy weights is probably out, but 5 lbs or less does a lot of arm and back toning, elliptical or treadmill, swimming, etc. may be/should be fine, if you don't have breathing problems, get dizzy, etc.

I would tell your doctor "Unless you give me guidelines on what I can and can't do - I'm going to assume that means you believe anything is okay." And see how quickly he comes up with guidelines for you.

A lot of us have been in your shoes. When my AVS was upgraded to moderate last year, I was having a bunch of symptoms. My Cardio suggested a monitored exercise program to help me learn what I could do in a safe setting. I started in January and by February many of the anomalous symptoms began to disappear. I had been too careful. Now I walk and do some strengthening exercise and in the process I've lost about 30 lbs. The monitored program ended in late April but I now have a good idea of what my limits are. From all I've read here in the Heart Valve Forum and elsewhere, it is best to go into surgery as healthy as possible so you get through the surgery and recovery more easily. Ask your Doctor about what programs are available.

Karlynn has the right idea. Assume you can do anything and force him/her to then set a limit.

My valve defect was known and monitored beginning at age 10. Yet I ran many thousands of miles and scores of road races up to age 42. It got gradually worse and finally reached the dangerous stage after 32 years of regular heavy exercise. I was told to stop running after I had a rough time in a 15Km race but I continued to walk vigorously that year up until the OHS. (I even race walked a couple 5Ks.) I did cheat and run one mile the day before my surgery though, but don't tell on me, OK?

All good suggestions...put your doctor on the spot...and do try and keep in shape, it can make a big difference down the road.

Exercise

Exercise

My bad aortic valve was diagnosed when I was in the seventh grade. It never prevented me from pursuing the activities I wanted to pursue. Granted, I was pretty irresponsible because I skipped having the condition of the valve and defective tissue issues in my aorta monitored for the twenty-seven years prior to my AVR and aortic graft surgery in 2007. I would never recommend that anyone ignore their situation like I did mine.

There's some logic in assuming that if your doctor has not defined any restrictions on your activities, he might be unconcerned about your pursuit of activities you enjoy. This said, there's something to be said for erroring on the side of caution. You really don't want to engage in levels of activities that could present too much risk.

How well do like your doctor? If he won't discuss your desire to continue exercising and give you some reasonable guidelines, you may want to look for a new doctor who will work with you. You really need a doctor who will take a proactive approach. If your present doctor can't do this, find a doctor who will.

-Philip

Hi all, thanks so much for your replies, it really helps to hear your opinions and experiences. The problem with my doctor is that he says I should be asymptomatic - and therefore won't entertain the fact that I'm not - so any discussion about how it's changed my life or impacts on my life is null and void with him.

That said, my GP takes me more seriously but he says he doesn't have enough understanding of what I should or should not be doing to come up with an informed decision.

I think I'll probably just start small and slow to build myself back up to pre-illness strength and stamina and see how I go from there. It's frustrating though because I'd like to just launch back in to running and tennis for example, but on the other hand, I don't want to drop dead :)

Thanks again everyone!
Lynn

Hey Lynn,

As Karlynn mentioned, probe your cardio into giving you some guidelines where exercise is concerned.

I know that walking will never hurt you but I do know that weight lifting, vigerous aerobics, rope jumping, tennis, may be strongly discouraged. :eek:

In my case, the only form of exercise I am permitted by my cardio is walking although sometimes, I think I could do a lot more but I don't dare!

Take care & best of luck to you......& you're beautiful just as you are BTW! :)

Symptoms?

Symptoms?

I didn't manifest any symptoms associated with my bad aortic valve or the 5.8 cm aneurysm I had right up to the day they rolled me into surgery. I still think you need to find a new cardiologist who is willing to work with you.

-Philip

Are there any Cardiac Rehabilitation Programs available in the UK?

See if you can get your Cardio (or Primare Care Physician) to give you a prescription for Cardiac Rehab where they have you exercise on treadmills, bicycles, 'arm cycles', elliptical machines, etc while you wear a heart monitor and a Nurse watches for irregular or overly rapid heartbeats.

They will start you out slowly and increase your exercise level while keeping you 'within limits'.

Lynn, I agree with what Al says - see if you can get into cardiac rehab. They will help you get started and monitor you while you're exercising to make sure you don't overdo it.

If you're going to exercise on your own, it would be advisable to have someone with you to either work out with or just in case you need assistance.

I've said this before but I think it stands repeating. Get yourself a heart rate monitor and wear it while exercising. You can monitor your own heart rate. Compare your typical resting heart rate to your heart rate when exercising. Do research and find out what the recommended range is for you for your heart rate while exercising.

Walking is great. Weight machines help tone and strengthen. Cardio machines such as ellipticals, treadmills, rowers, bikes, etc are great for toning the heart, lungs, and circulatory system. But if you haven't been exercising for a while you need to start out SLOWLY. You cannot whip yourself into shape in a week or two. It takes months.

Nutrition is very important.

Be careful.

Thank you all so much for your advice and Norma, thank you for your lovely words too :)

I haven't asked if there's anything like cardio rehab, but, given the state of the NHS, I'd be inclined to bet it's only for inpatients and/or people who've had heart attacks, but I'll certainly ask.

It's been a great help to get so many opinions, thanks so much again.

Lynn

Latest posts

Back