Can I drive 4 weeks post-op??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drive

drive

Well, I decided to take just a short drive (2 miles) down to the store and to get a movie today. I wanted to see how I would do, and it was easer than I thought. I think I can drive fine but I am worried about the air bags. The last couple of weeks I've been driven around by my 16yr.old :eek: :eek: , figured I'd be more safe driving myself :p :p Debbie Thanks for all your input everyone

Al Capshaw really cut to the chase most directly. The key is to have a release from your doctor, or your insurance may not cover you, and you could be held liable in any lawsuits from a fender bender or other incident, as you were driving while physically impaired. It's hard to tell a jury that you didn't know you had open heart surgery...

Also, as far as sheer practicality, you can't really just go by the time span people are saying in their posts, because it makes a big difference whether they had the more usual full sternotomy or if they had minimally invasive surgery. If that important bit of information isn't in the post, you can't judge what their answer really means in terms of your own surgery.

Best wishes,

Debbie,

I was released to drive at 4 weeks, I did have a full sternotomy and have been off pain meds since like day 4. I've been lucky with very little pain from the incision... almost feels too good as I can forget that I have to take it easy.

It was only a couple of weeks ago so I really remember how anxious I was to get out on my own and driving. So wait for you doctors ok then enjoy yourself but be careful.

Nick

mother driving me around

mother driving me around

DEbbie,
On a lighter note, I can understand why we want to drive. My dear sweet mother took me to the clinic for my blood work. I was a nervous wreck, my heart rate went sky high!!! Of course my only other option is my 19 year old daughter. My suggestion is to close your eyes, sit in the back seat and pray!!

When I was in the Navy, I would go several months at time without driving due to being on deployments. I quickly got the hang of it again after my return. Driving after was OHS was much different.

My surgeon also said I could drive after 4 weeks. However, after 4 weeks, my wife asked me if I wanted to drive. I declined because felt like my head was still in a fog from all of the meds. Five weeks later I scared myself because I almost caused an accident. Depsite my being very careful, I still almost put myself and another driver in a dangerous situation. My reaction time was still off. It was a few days later before I attempted to drive again. In addition, I found I could not turn my head very easily to look over my left shoulder. Even then it was at least two to three months before I felt my reaction time was where it was before surgery.

The bottom line is that even though you may be told you can drive after a period of time, if you are uncomfortable with it, then don't do it. It is not worth the risk.

Karl

Latest posts

Back