Can anyone tell me what this means?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67walkon

On May 10, I had a CT scan at Shands to check on my aortic root and ascending aorta. The aorta is at 5 cm and I am scheduled for surgery to fix that, the root, my bicuspid valve (now at 1cm) and a maze procedure to take care of an old afib problem.

My local cardiologist finally called me about the CT report. It notes "there are multiple lymph nodes seen within the bilateral axillary mediastinal region and retroperitoneal region which are subcentimeter and more significant for their number than their size".

The surgeon at the teaching hospital at UF (Shands) didn't mention anything about this finding. The local cardiologist told me today that she wants them to biopsy some of those nodes. She didn't really say why and it was during a phone call.

To me, biopsy means looking for cancerous cells. It might actually mean something else and I will email or call the surgeon tomorrow.

Does any one know what this part of the report actually means?

Thanks, John

Al nailed that one. I'm sure you realize this, but five centimeters means it's time to move on the aorta.

As far as the rest of the report, there is really no point in speculating until a biopsy is done. For terms, axillary means armpit, bilateral means on both sides. Mediastinal indicates the large area between the lungs, including the area of the ascending aorta, the esophagus, and the windpipe. Retroperitoneal roughly includes anything that lies behind the abdominal cavity, including the area of the kidneys, the descending aorta, the bladder (yes, they consider that behind the abdominal cavity, although it's kind of beneath it), rectum, etc.

These are numerous, but quite small lymph nodes being described. There are a number of possible causations, some harmless, some not so good. You really need to get the biopsies done, so you can move on. I wish you well with it, and hope it turns out to be something transitory.

Best wishes,

I too had some "opacities" in my preadmittance CT scan and there seemed to be some real concern because some idiot scheduled a doctor's visit two or three days after my release from the CCU after AVR surgery to investigate further. I hobbled in to the ambulatory clinic only to be told that it was totally insignificant and please go home and rest. They have to include everything in the scan report without passing judgement, apparently, I don't know, but hopefully the opacities in your scan will also turn out to be insignificant.

Neither the surgeon nor my primary doc are concerned about the lymph nodes, so I guess I'm not concerned. The primary didn't understand why you would biopsy normal sized lymph nodes. The surgeon told me that if they weren't enlarged, he wouldn't be concerned. He did say he would biopsy some in the area if any of them looked suspicious.

That is a relief!

The next little step I have to deal with is a heart cath on Monday to determine if there are any blockages. They all say they would be surprised to find any blockage, but it would be stupid not to check!

Don't you love signing those consent forms that tell you about a dozen or so things that could kill you during a relatively minor procedure like a cath? The forms for OHS must be pages and pages.

Cath is a breeze

Cath is a breeze

67walkon said:
The next little step I have to deal with is a heart cath on Monday to determine if there are any blockages. They all say they would be surprised to find any blockage, but it would be stupid not to check!

Don't you love signing those consent forms that tell you about a dozen or so things that could kill you during a relatively minor procedure like a cath? The forms for OHS must be pages and pages.

Hi John

I had my cath on 4/24 and it was no big deal...except when they removed the condom catheter that was glued onto my anatomy.

I did 'throw a vagal' when they removed the line from my femoral artery. The nurse was holding pressure for 5 minutes and in the process she compressed my vagus nerve and I started to pass out while talking to the doc that did the procedure. A quick syringe of something or other fixed everything.

The BIG shock was when I saw a copy of the bill: $18,000 !!! Insurance covered all but $200. Can't WAIT to see a copy of the OHS bill.

Seems to me the consent forms for the OHS weren't much longer than for the cath.

BTW...I've started stationary cycling. Feels pretty good. Hoping to get out on the road next week and I'm still going to target my big charity ride in August

Keep us posted

Fast Eddie

Hi John, Sounds good but what a shame you had to worry about it for several days! So is your heart surgery back on? Best wishes, Barbara

Thanks, all. The OHS was never off. It is set for July 6. The cath thing is just a bump in the road.

Eddie, the bills for this stuff are incredible. I had no idea a cath would run that much. The good news is that my out of pocket annual max will be eaten up pretty soon, and the rest is free to me.

I'm still riding, albeit it slower and shorter, but still getting in some good rides.

Good luck on the bike, Eddie.

Eddie, this is probably one of the stupid questions. I can figure out what a condom catheter is--I didn't realize they used any sort of urine catheter for a heart cath. Is that usual, or were you just unlucky? Personally, I don't much look forward to that little thing.

67walkon said:
Eddie, this is probably one of the stupid questions. I can figure out what a condom catheter is--I didn't realize they used any sort of urine catheter for a heart cath. Is that usual, or were you just unlucky? Personally, I don't much look forward to that little thing.
They don't! A heart cath is very long and in a sheath. The condom cath is pretty much what it sounds like. Seems like a much more humane way for a males penis. Nonetheless, even the old rubber cath or Foley isn't a big deal. You'll be out when they put it in and it's usually not a bother taking it out except that you feel like you have to pee all the time for a while after.

Texas, the lone star state or is it long horn?

Texas, the lone star state or is it long horn?

Ross said:
They don't! A heart cath is very long and in a sheath. The condom cath is pretty much what it sounds like. Seems like a much more humane way for a males penis. Nonetheless, even the old rubber cath or Foley isn't a big deal. You'll be out when they put it in and it's usually not a bother taking it out except that you feel like you have to pee all the time for a while after.

A texas cath. goes on easy and comes off easy, is much safer and allows males to void laying down without moving their legs- just what you need after you have had a heart cath. through the groin.

In my case it was lone star....

In my case it was lone star....

RCB said:
A texas cath. goes on easy and comes off easy, is much safer and allows males to void laying down without moving their legs- just what you need after you have had a heart cath. through the groin.

RCB:
Is this 'texas catheter' common terminology? I never heard of that, but then again I had never heard of a condom catheter either. Or ever had to USE a catheter. Is a texas cath different than a condom cath? Like maybe NO GLUE???

John:
Yeah, the other posters explained better than I did. The condom catheter is just an alternative to a Foley. I guess it's SUPPOSED to be less hassle than a Foley. Except that we ended up having to do a little trimming to untangle things that had gotten glued down. Seeing a nurse approaching a sensitive area with a pair of scissors is sort of scary!

But really, getting out of the condom cath. was not a big ordeal. And it's REAL convenient to just let it all go.

Latest posts

Back