by pass incision

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckley

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I did my whole family fixed dinner and brought it to the house so my wife didn't have to do much and I could still be with family. My last surgery I didn't get a seperate cut for the lung heart by pass machine. I got one this time. My question is how long does it affect you. I have good days and bad days but I am still irritated by it. Has anyone got any words of wisdom for me. It swells and it goes down. I have feeling in my leg but some spots on my leg "feel " different than others. I'm not concerned yet just wondering if my leg is supposed to feel like this.

I wasn't too worried until this morning. The swelling is localized to my thigh but it has started to re open the incision a bit. Has anyone had any experience with this. The doctors say it could take weeks for the swelling to go down. But now that I'm bleeding I'm starting to get concerned any input would be appreciated.

Geckley,

I have some numbing and different sensations near all my incision sites as well as the surrounding area. I would be concerned about the swelling, especially if it is opening up the incision site. It sounds like it is infected. Does it feel warm to the touch? You may need some antibiotics before it gets too bad. Has the doctor seen the wound open?

Tanya

There is no oozing no spots the wound area and the leg are not hot. I just talked to the surgeons nurse practioner and she says that 1 in 3 people experience this. It's caused by severing lymphatic vessels during surgery. I will have my cardiologist look at it on monday. If it doesn't get better soon I'll send myself back to Hopkins. Thanks for the response.

Do you have a full leg incision where they took saphenous vein? Most are done endoscopically these days but some particular cases require the incision that goes the length of the leg.

I hope it is easily managed and you can get on with a great recovery.

I don't have any info other than see your Doc on Monday

like you are planning....sounds painful from your discription

and be safe with this,infections not worth the effort of putting

anything off if your not sure. Keep us posted and enjoy the

rest of your recovery time as you take things easy i hope for

you to have a boring recovery in this.

zipper2 (DEB)

I have 2 things that incapacitate me. One is having blood draws. Long story but I'm terrified of them. The other is the sight ofmy own blood. Around 7pm last night I thought the bleeding had stopped and that all was ok. I got up after watching football and noticed my pants were damp. I was wearingblack so i couldn't tell what color it was. I went in the bathroom and saw the gauze that was dry all day was soaked through and I was bleeding. We called the on call doc at Hopkins, he called the surgeon and within the hour I was on my way back to Hopkins. Long story short. I spent 4 hours in the ER had a CT scan done. Was put on no food or drink pending surgery. Docs feared a blood clot. Had a ultra sound done and the docs came to the conclusion that it was fluids blood waer etc trapped in my leg that caused my incision to open in the corner. This allowed it to drain most of the night. The docs re stitched the entire site and said that I shoud be ok. The fluid is trappped and will have to reabsorb into my body, and that it could take over a month to do. So I'm home again. On the lighter side my wife and I deciced that at 2months my son needs to think about sleeping more than 2 hours at a time. So we played with him past his usual 6pm nap and kept him up until we left for the hospital. My sister watched him an the little brat slept from 8:30 until 6:00am. We got a total of 3 hoiurs of sleep last night. THE WORLD IS A CRUEL PLACE.

Here's hoping you and your wife retired for the night with

your son's timing and your all resting seeing as their times

never adjust (hardly).Reminds me of my kids when they were young too.

Glad you went in with your leg,and they were able to look after you.

Now passing prayers for an uncomplicated quick recovery for all of you

and sorry to hear about your complication. Rest,rest all you are able.

zipper2 (DEB)

Latest posts

Back