Burning sensation in chest

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorimacm

Hi All!

I haven't been online much since going back to work full time - life is pretty hectic.

I am now 4 months out and most things are going well I think with a few minor problems I wanted to ask you all to see if anyone has experienced. One thing that just started to happen is when I exercise, during my cool down my heart rate jumps up about 30 beats higher. My doc said I am going into irregular rhythm so he is doing a stress test next week.

The other thing that is bothering me is chest pain. It's kinda of weird to describe but here goes. It feels as if I have a bad burn when I touch my skin - like a stingy feeling, but my skin appears normal - no redness or irritation. Almost as though it is just under my skin. The area is to the left of my sternum along side my incision at about breast level. I do get a mild pain from time to time in that area.

I was sick with a cold a few weeks ago and still feel alittle achy around my shoulders and back. I was just at the doc and he didn't seem too concerned and lungs sounded fine.

Thanks for your input!!

Lori

Exercise induced arrhythmias are not uncommon.

The usual culprets are Premature Atrial Contractions (PAC), Premature Ventricualar Contractions (PVC), and Atrial Fibrilation.

PAC's and PVC's (you need an EKG to distinguish which) often produce a "regularly irregular" heartbeat. You can hear this with an inexpensive stethoscope. There are several Beta Blockers that are effective in controlling these types of arrhythmias.

Atrial Fibrilation can result in an elevated HR, often with a very irregular (I call it "whacko") HeartBeat. Several of our members have found SOTALOL (generic form of BetaPace) effective in controlling this arrhythmia.

Many Doctors like to prescribe the Sledge Hammer of antiarrhythmics, Amiodarone, because it is quick and effective. The Down Side of Amiodarone is a Laundry List of Nasty Side Effects if taken for Too Long or in Too High a Dose. (do a Search for Amiodarone on VR.com or Google for MUCH information on this drug or ask your Pharmacist).

My recommendation about the burning sensation in your chest is to call one or more of your Doctors (Surgeon, Cardio, PCP, in that order).

'AL Capshaw'

Lori, I get the burning also in a couple of locations. the two that bug me are, one just to the left top side high of the zipper scar the other is right over my knee cap above where they harvested a vein. I described them to several Docs and Nurses and the consensus was some nerve damage from liquid swelling. Which to me makes sense. That's what it feels like to me is nerve damage. We get all that saline and other stuff pumped in that swells us up and it stretches the skin as we shrink down the skin starts to retract back to size but the nerves that were stretched wind up touching and being touched under the skin causing the burning. Check with your docs to feel better about it. I'm an expect on having pain, not what causes them. but I hope this helped a little Rick

Lori, I get the burning also in a couple of locations. the two that bug me are, one just to the left top side high of the zipper scar the other is right over my knee cap above where they harvested a vein. I described them to several Docs and Nurses and the consensus was some nerve damage from liquid swelling. Which to me makes sense. That's what it feels like to me is nerve damage. We get all that saline and other stuff pumped in that swells us up and it stretches the skin as we shrink down the skin starts to retract back to size but the nerves that were stretched wind up touching and being touched under the skin causing the burning. Check with your docs to feel better about it. I'm an expect on having pain, not what causes them. but I hope this helped a little Rick

I was thinking the burning sounded like nerve pain from being cut and healing too. Hopefully it will get better as you heal more

Thanks so much. I wondered about nerve pain and it sounds like that is what it could very well be. I still had some numbness in my chest up til a few weeks again and maybe I can feel more now. I see the doc tomorrow for my stress test so I will talk to him again about and make him give me some sort of answer.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back