Bump in the road

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisiejane

I wasn't feeling too well yesterday, my heart was flip flopping more than usual and the face tingling was pretty constant, as the day went on the flip flopping continued to get worse and I was feeling pretty anxious made worse by exploring the internet! By early evening my hubby felt enough was enough and took me to the A&E department, my bp was up higher than it had been since surgery, I had full bloods taken and my heart was traced for 2hours, it turns out I was experiencing Paroxysmal Atrial Fib, the consultant was not too concerned as he said that it was normal for about 30% of AVR's, he said the bottom chamber of my heart was beating as it should but the top chamber was going a little frantic but does settle back into normal rhythm, I asked if I was having TIA? But he said not, all bloods and other tests were normal, he didn't increase my bisoprolol beta blocker as I was only on the baby dose of 1.25mg and my pulse was between 68 - 70 and an increase would lower it too much, he felt the symptoms would stop on their own. This heart stuff is pretty scary at times 😕
Deb xxx

The first time for me with the A-fib, they threw me in the hospital for two days. Even though I was out of the A-Fib shortly after admission. Classic case of running up the tab on the insurance.

I started seeing an electrophysiologist and he's got me with a Rx for amiadorone, only taken if A-Fib occurs. I have had about one bout a year since (2007). None since right after OHS.

Hi big_L
It has calmed a lot this morning so I am keeping my fingers crossed, I thought they would have admitted me but thankfully I was allowed home, good to know that if it continues there is appropriate treatment.
Stay well.
Deb xx

I had two bouts of A-Fib after surgery, one resolved in the ER after they gave me something, the other resolved with an extra dose of metoprolol. FYI, there are methods that may stop it at home if it occurs again:
- Wash face with cold water and hold breath. This triggers the diving reflex which slows the heart (google it, pretty interesting).
- Cough
- Rub neck by artery
- Bear down - vasalva maneuver

I never had a chance to try them as I haven't had A-Fib again. This is all in addition to any meds which may be prescribed, as beta blockers may prevent or stop A-Fib. If none of that works they have a number of additional things they can do at the hospital.

I had two bouts of A-Fib after surgery, one resolved in the ER after they gave me something, the other resolved with an extra dose of metoprolol. FYI, there are methods that may stop it at home if it occurs again:
- Wash face with cold water and hold breath. This triggers the diving reflex which slows the heart (google it, pretty interesting).
- Cough
- Rub neck by artery
- Bear down - vasalva maneuver

I never had a chance to try them as I haven't had A-Fib again. This is all in addition to any meds which may be prescribed, as beta blockers may prevent or stop A-Fib. If none of that works they have a number of additional things they can do at the hospital.

Hi AZ Don,
I will definitely try those techniques, my heart rate doesn't increase at all, I just have irregular beats which thankfully go back into normal rhythm, but whilst it is happening it makes me feel awful.
It hasn't been too bad today it has had a couple of "flip flops" but calmed quite quickly.
Thanks for you advice.
Deb xx

When I went into A-fib the first time, I would've been placed on warfarin if I wasn't already on it.
It didn't go away after a couple of months so I got cardioverted.
Now it's back and I've done more reading about it, since the arrhythmia cardio said he was surprised that my 'run' of sinus rhythm lasted as long as it did!
So, now I'm to see him again, and weigh doing another cardioversion, or adjusting/adding drugs to possibly get it back into sinus rhythm. Ihave been in it for 12 days now.
I hope yours goes back to sinus rhythm all on it's own!

Hello!
I'm glad things are calming down for you. This stuff is very scary!! It is so normal to feel scared. And then you don't want to bother people needlessly, but those are the people who want to be bothered! They are in it with you so never hesitate to get checked out or to ask your loved ones.
I have never experienced AFib (though perhaps had some just out of surgery 8 years ago). However, I did just recently have a totally unrelated stroke! The embolism went to my eye so I'm blind in that eye, but otherwise fine. I needed surgery -- what's called an endarterectomy to clean out a >90% blocked carotid artery. I mention this only because of the 4" scar on my neck. I'm not sure if they did a complete sternotomy on you? Well, I have my AVR scar -- I had forgotten how tingly it all feels post surgery. Since the neck and sternum are in somewhat the same area, I just wanted to mention that as your nerve endings calm down and rejoin from the drama/trauma of your surgery, you are going to feel those kinds of tingly sensations.
Back to 8 years ago..... I was going along just fine and then maybe 2 months out, my heart went all crazy feeling; thumping out of my chest feelings, all flippy-floppy. I checked it out with my doctor, it was nothing. I ended up just trying to think about it as if my heart were dancing with joy to be working correctly for the very first time in my life!! Sometimes it's a mind over matter thing as we work to journey through this unknown territory.

Good luck to you!!! Write often -- this is a very caring community.

Warmly,
Marguerite
PS - now I'm 2 parts cow -- Aortic Valve (bovine tissue), and Angioplastic patch (more bovine tissue) to the right, inner carotid artery. Mooing jubilantly through life!

Latest posts

Back