Brisk Walking/Mitral Regurg....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JACC Article

JACC Article

I skimmed the article and found it interesting. Maybe that explains why I can't just "fly" up big hills which I expected to do after MV repair. However, I CAN do more exercise than I could before surgery. It may only be 15% to 20% more, but it is more.

What I find strange is that they say that heart function improves significantly but not exercise capacity. Could someone please give me the exact definition of heart function? It would seem that if the heart is functioning better that one would automatically be able to do more exercise.

Adrienne said:
Could someone please give me the exact definition of heart function? It would seem that if the heart is functioning better that one would automatically be able to do more exercise.

Study was by some French guys. If YOU can't understand 'em, then I don't think any of us can.

(just kidding, Adrienne ;) )

I think this means I will remain stuck in 2nd gear for the rest of my life. But my heart is normal size, my EF is low-ish but stable, no meds, and I can go all day long (well, I HAVE to, because I'm so slow!). So I think I'll just be happy with what I have. :)

Hey Bill, I know the article was very technical, and I know the study was done in France, but the article was in English!!!:p ;) (also just kidding)

Anyhow, since I was never an athelete before, and since there is some improvement in my tolerance to exercise, I certainly am not complaining, especially at my age (62). I may not be able to run the marathon (or even a 50th of a marathon), but I feel great!:D

Thanks for the article Bill. It looks like I am going to have to be happy with what I can do today, and make sure that I get my valve fixed before it gets too bad. Good thing I am not interested in winning any races!:D

Steph

maka

thats interesting, I was told the same thing by my cardio, drink plenty, for me its to keep my BP up. I have mitral stenosis/insufficiency and bicuspid aortic valve/aortic regurg/insufficiency. this helps keep my BP up, but does nothing for the blood backing up into my lungs (could actually make it worse)

you mind telling me what your doc's explanation was for drinking more water?

thanks

Morgan

Morgan

This is a very "uneducated" explanation...but it was somthing like this. When the body gets dehydrated, the heart has to work harder....as mitral regurtation means blood flows back, the heart does not have enough "push" to send enough blood forward, therefore more blood goes back. Drinking plenty of water allows the heart to work more efficiently and "push" more blood forward.
Hope this makes sense...don't know how to explain it better
Maka

Latest posts

Back