Bridging, Surgery, and recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristyW

This has been a trying and difficult 10 days. Last Wednesday, November 28, I had a total abdominal hysterectomy for a large fibroid tumor. The surgery went well although it was difficult, and all was going as expected. I was released on Sunday November 1st, one day late due to oozing issues. Sunday night and Monday were completely uneventful. I was instructed to continue with my warfarin and augment it with Lovenox shots twice a day.

Early Tuesday morning, November 3, I started experiencing pretty severe abdominal pain. It came and went, so I delayed going to the hospital. About 9:00am I couldn't stand it anymore. I called my Dr again (left a message earlier), and he said, "Come right in." my husband took me to the Dr. about 9:45am. The Dr. examined me and said that he was direct admitting me to the surgical floor for observation. All was going ok. I was still experiencing pain, but there was no obvious reason for it. They conducted an ultrasound and found that I had fluid collecting in the bottom of the pelvic cavity. We were on the wait and see plan. There really was nothing they could do, but wait for whatever this was to show itself.

My mom stayed with me until 7 and my husband stayed until about 8. About 9:30 I started bleeding and things got interesting. The Drs. and nurses were trying everything they knew to stop the bleeding without going back in. By 5am, we knew there was no choice. I was headed back to surgery 8 days after the first one. The surgery lasted about 1 hour. The Drs. found a large hematoma (blood clot) between the skin and muscle. That was what was causing all the pain, but not life threatening. They didn't find any other reason for me to be in the condition I was in, other than I was oozing blood & not clotting like they would like.

Back in the recovery room the bleeding still wouldn't stop. The tests came back that my INR was 1.6. They had packed and repacked the vagina to try and stop the bleeding, and they gave me many blood products prior, during and after surgery ( 4 units fresh frozen plasma, 4 units of Cryoprecipitate, 2 units of platelets 4 units of packed red blood cells). Finally, the bleeding stopped. I think were were on the verge of going back to surgery for the 3rd time. I was very, very scared that I was not going to make it out of this alive.

Finally, I was able to go back to the surgical floor to the care of the wonderful nurses and nursing assistants. I can't say enough about all of these fine people. They are the heart and soul of hospitals.

The Drs. and I have all learned something from this. Many would blame the warfarin for what happened to me, but that was not the call at all. The heparin was the culprit. We have together discussed that in the future maybe someone in my position should start back up with the coumadin and skip the heparin shots. I tried to get my Drs to not give me the lovenox, but you know how it goes..

I am thankful that I'm here with my children and my husband.

Kristy

I am so sorry to hear you had to go thru all of this. and glad things look so much better now. This reminds me of what Ross often says about Lovenox

I would agree Cris, but try convincing the Doctors. Fortunately, I know of an entire OB/GYN practice and my own PCPs office have now thought differently about it.

Sorry to read this Kristy,yup i know what you mean
when the docs dont listen,and so inexperienced,been there
done this in other surgerys also...Its so scarey,it really is
Makes heart surgery a breeze for sure.
Thanks for the update cus i had you on my mind reading your posts
to your surgery date and this was the part i worried bout for you the
surely knowing what they are doing with heperin,coumadi,lovenox
seems its the same all over the world and worse with surgeries that
arenot simular to heart surgeries.I know i had a cyst removed @ was
on heperin at that time too:eek:in 92 now they think theres more
i have an ultrasound tues im not going,cus i dont wanna know and after
92 ive had enough then yet since 17 years and not any better with their
knowledge

Sorry to hear you've been through this Kristy. Hope you start to feel better soon.
Take care.

The Drs. and I have all learned something from this. Many would blame the warfarin for what happened to me, but that was not the call at all. The heparin was the culprit. We have together discussed that in the future maybe someone in my position should start back up with the coumadin and skip the heparin shots. I tried to get my Drs to not give me the lovenox, but you know how it goes..

I am thankful that I'm here with my children and my husband.

Kristy

Precisely. What upsets me is, none of them listen to a darn thing we tell them and use us as guinea pigs to further their own educations. I refuse to be a guinea pig for anyone anymore.

Sorry that you too, had go through an ordeal that should never have happened to begin with. Why oh why do they not understand that Heparin/Lovenox causes far more bleeding then Coumadin could ever hope too?

Thanks for the support friends. I could have been more adamant about the lovenox, or just refused, but in the hospital, you really don't have that opportunity.

For now, my INR is crawling up. I had 2 Vitamin K shots...so who knows. I'll probably start the Lovenox shots back up on Monday or Tuesday, depending on how slow this is going.

Any surgery on an anticoagulated patient is a delicate balancing act. We are all afraid of stroking out, the Drs. are afraid of bleeding, and there's no real right answer.

Thanks for the support friends. I could have been more adamant about the lovenox, or just refused, but in the hospital, you really don't have that opportunity.

For now, my INR is crawling up. I had 2 Vitamin K shots...so who knows. I'll probably start the Lovenox shots back up on Monday or Tuesday, depending on how slow this is going.

Any surgery on an anticoagulated patient is a delicate balancing act. We are all afraid of stroking out, the Drs. are afraid of bleeding, and there's no real right answer.

I'm not sure BUT it might take a while to get your INR stable since you had to get vit K shots

How are you feeling? I imagine pretty wiped out.

I am pretty wiped out Lynn. However, I feel much better being at home. My daughter has been here with me...waiting on my hand and foot.

I tell you what...I almost had a fit when they gave me those Vit K shots. But, when you're in danger of bleeding to death, you take what they give you. As soon as I know that starting the lovenox won't put me at risk, I'm there!

I was able to sleep last night. I took pain meds at 9:30pm, got up to go the bathroom at midnight and 4:30, but no meds until 8:30 this morning...that's progress!!

I am pretty wiped out Lynn. However, I feel much better being at home. My daughter has been here with me...waiting on my hand and foot.

I tell you what...I almost had a fit when they gave me those Vit K shots. But, when you're in danger of bleeding to death, you take what they give you. As soon as I know that starting the lovenox won't put me at risk, I'm there!

I was able to sleep last night. I took pain meds at 9:30pm, got up to go the bathroom at midnight and 4:30, but no meds until 8:30 this morning...that's progress!!

Home and sleep and especially kids are some of the best things to make you feel better.

I agree you have to do whatever you need to to save your life and stop the bleeding and worry about dealing with sorting things out and getting back to normal later (I used to work in Blood Bank at acouple trauma centers and know how scarey it is for all involved with massive bleeds)
How did the test results come out from the origonal surgery? was that good?

Just make darn sure the bleeding has stopped before starting Lovenox or you'll be doing this all over again. ;)

Just make darn sure the bleeding has stopped before starting Lovenox or you'll be doing this all over again. ;)

That's the plan Ross. I still have a drain, so I can see what the bleeding is like.

Lynn>> I don't know the pathology results of the fibroid yet. Hopefully, I'll find that out tomorrow.

That's the plan Ross. I still have a drain, so I can see what the bleeding is like.

Lynn>> I don't know the pathology results of the fibroid yet. Hopefully, I'll find that out tomorrow.

Well then I will just add THAT to all my specific prayers for you, along with stop bleeding, INR to be in range and stable soon, and most importantly no more trips to the ER.

Joe had a similar situation after gall bladder surgery. And it was partially due to Lovenox and Heparin, but also the surgeon nicked his liver. He had a total bleedout and almost lost his life. The blood bank ran out out of all blood products that were a match for him.

It took him months and months to recover from that incident. He had a drain bag for quite a while afterwards.

Very scary. Glad you are on the mend.

Joe had a similar situation after gall bladder surgery. And it was partially due to Lovenox and Heparin, but also the surgeon nicked his liver. He had a total bleedout and almost lost his life. The blood bank ran out out of all blood products that were a match for him.

It took him months and months to recover from that incident. He had a drain bag for quite a while afterwards.

Very scary. Glad you are on the mend.

I think remember that Nancy. All of us here were praying for Joe and you during that difficult time. Wasn't that about 6 years ago?

Thank you Nancy for staying with us here on VR.com. Your wisdom is invaluable.

I am so sorry for your pain and concern

I am so sorry for your pain and concern

Kristy:
It is so very hard to know what is right when you have concerns like you have been having. I am so very, very sorry that you have had to go through such concerns. I am so sorry that you have had to endure such problems.

Please know that I am sending you all my best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

Blanche

Kristy:
It is so very hard to know what is right when you have concerns like you have been having. I am so very, very sorry that you have had to go through such concerns. I am so sorry that you have had to endure such problems.

Please know that I am sending you all my best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

Blanche

Thank you Blanche,

This sight is a god-send. I had my AVR 8 years ago. I've stayed around to help others especially with the anti-coag issues. I'm so glad that it was here this time to help me.

God Bless

Latest posts

Back