Breathing issues

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmonteag

I'm 2 1/2 months post-op and have developed this weird breathing issue. Im taking Coreg CR and Lisinipril for BP. Every once in awhile I just have to take a huge deep breath. I dont get winded or short of breath. I do my cardio just fine. Doctors says its not a side effect of the meds and that since my heart is still healing that the deep breath issue will go away on its own. I had a enlarged heart prior to my AVR and Im guessing with the heart muscle reshaping itself my body is getting use to a smaller heart pumping blood. Anyway, Im curious if anyone have some similar happen to them.

Are you able to take in a full breath when you get that urge to take one?

I actually have this problem (havent had surgery). I have an uncomfortable feeling in my chest/throat area 24/7 and an urge to yawn and take deep breaths which ease the feeling in my chest, but only for seconds. Its gotten a lot worse in the last 2 or 3 months and is driving me crazy lately. Did you have your problem before surgery ?

I actually have this problem (havent had surgery). I have an uncomfortable feeling in my chest/throat area 24/7 and an urge to yawn and take deep breaths which ease the feeling in my chest, but only for seconds. Its gotten a lot worse in the last 2 or 3 months and is driving me crazy lately. Did you have your problem before surgery ?

I didnt have this problem before the surgery.

I am now 7 weeks post op and have these sharp breaths too. About once an hour. Thought I was alone. Nice to know it is fairly common. Thanks for raising it. Also good to know it eventually goes away. Will mention it to my cardio at next echo session on 4 Sept and watch his face. I have slowly come to realise that cardios and surgeons have come across all these things we as patients experience, just do not want to own up, cause they do not know how to treat it, no ready pill! Johan

Jacqui 8-, I had similar symptoms before my surgery especially the tight strange feeling at the back of my throat. At the time I did not want to recognise it as stenosed AV related, as I kept on telling myself that I was symptom free and thus not ready for the operation. That went on for nearly 5 years and I only went for the surgery when my cardiologist and surgeon sat me down and extracted an agreement from me (on the pain of death within 5 years) to have the operation done. Even then I managed to postpone for all of 5 months, so much so that the surgeon's secretary expressed her mocking surprise to find me in hospital when I arrived for the pre-screening the day before the surgery. Now 7 weeks later, I feel so much better and all those short of breath and other symptoms are gone. So all you prevaricating presurgery people please go for it when the dr's feel it is time. Johan

I was once an hour on the sharp breath at 2 weeks post op, but now at 4 weeks post-op they have dropped off a bunch, or maybe I don't notice them. I think it's about 6 times a day now, but they don't bother me any. Maybe even helps if it forces you to take a deep breath?

I had before surgery and after for a while. I think it is just an exaggerated natural sigh. Before surgery I know my Oxygen levels were on the low side and these sighs would sometimes wake me up at night. Afterward, I know I wasn't breathing real deep with my average breaths and I think these deep breaths were more than likely still a way of making sure I had the O2 I required.

Years ago, when I was still in nursing, our ventilators had sighs programmed right in them. I think we just might now be as aware of them being there when all is well.

My breathing issue has gone away or no longer noticeable. My doc told me not to worry about and was so happy to run into me at the gym the other day. Had just completed 50 minutes on the elliptical machine.

I too had sharp breaths for about 3 weeks post-op. They simply stopped one day, and the only time I come close is when I yawn - it tends to be a bit "jerky" during the yawn, but I think it might be related to a bit of residual pain. At any rate, they did disappear.

I have had this quite a lot and especially after my last and much smaller surgery. There are many theories, like stress (incl. post-traumatic) or lack of proper ventilation of the smaller alveolars after the OHS.

I have stolen my daughters asthma medicine (Bricanyl) sometimes, and it makes it better.

::g

Latest posts

Back