Breath In......MRI/contrast

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail in Ca

Well, I'm home from the MRI with contrast test. This is not a fun experience. Over and over, inside the little tube, one hears 'Breath in..let it out and Hold!' (up to 30 seconds at a time, repeat..repeat...Aghhhhhhh!!!) Thankfully, just when you are about to rip out the IV and get out of the tube, it's over.
This is always much longer than I remember it being. Anyway I have a tip for those who haven't had the pleasure of this MRI, don't count seconds or you will freak out. I just played the Mozart Serenade in my head over and over, different movements, while not breathing, and keeping my eyes shut as well. This really works for me.
The only good thing about this test is the location, and after it's done I get to find a French cafe, have lunch and a great pastry.

I had an MRI in 2004 (not heart related) and they let me bring a CD and gave me a headset so I could listen to it while holding still. It really helped.

I had one in 95. I still don't know how I kept from freaking out. I know I kept my eyes closed the whole time.

They had a constant breeze blowing through the MRI tube when I had it done, and somehow, that made me not mind the tube. It is tedious holding your breath for them all the time. And the contrast has an odd feeling associated with it, if I remember correctly.

Beats the heck out of a cath or a TEE any day, though, as far as I'm concerned.

Best wishes.

The last 2 cardiac MRIs that I have had were at Boston children's. What was so great was that they gave you a buzzer. When the time game for breathing holding, the patient decided when to start the breath hold and signaled the tech by pressing the buzzer. The tech then told the patient when to breath again. Having control of when to start the breath hold made all the difference in the world.

Debbie

they really need to improve the clearance between the patient and the tube walls... I just had an mri and I had a little freak out for a second when they first put me in. I squeezed the ball and I was like "ummm, not sure I'm cool with this." They talked me down a little and I did the rest of the session without incident. :D It helped to remind myself that I could see the "world" from the top of the tube, and that if I really wanted to squirm out I could.

I've had mri's before without a problem, but this particular time for whatever reason made me uneasy at first.

I had a non-cardiac related MRI several years ago. I was given earplugs to help drown out the noise and a washcloth to put over my eyes in case I accidentally peeked. It honestly wasn't too bad.

However, I'm in for another one soon. I went for a CT last week to check on my aneurysm, which has been the same (about 4.5 cm) for the past couple of years. It was the weirdest thing - they took a couple of pictures and after a bit of a delay the tech came out and said the doctor wanted to cancel the scan and schedule an MRI instead. I asked why and the tech just said they need a better picture. Of course this got me paranoid that they saw a problem. Hmmm....I hope there hasn't been a big change but we'll see.

Gail - great idea to have a post-MRI pastry. I don't have a French cafe nearby but there is a Barnes and Noble with yummy snacks from the Cheesecake Factory. Sugar high here I come!:)

Cheers,
Michelle

I have one every year (not heart related) and I hate it. I have to have mine the end of this month. I do listen to music on the headphones. Stupid tube. Good thing they have them though. Some day they will be much improved. I hope.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this particular MRI of the heart isn't pleasant! I'm thinking I wasn't given music because the tech has to talk to me every few minutes. Thankfully, I had just performed with the orchestra and so had lots of music in my head. It also became very cold even though I had a blanket over me. I didn't say anything because I kept hoping it would be over soon, and didn't want to bother them. Next time, if I'm cold, I'm going to say so!

I just had and MRI and MRA this past week. It was very long and I did almost panic at first, but began saying "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" to the beat of the noises that were coming from the machine. All went well until it came to the contrast at the end. They had told me it would burn going in, so when it DID, I didn't squeeze the ball. Next thing I knew they were pulling me out asking me if I was okay, why had I not squeezed the ball and applying pressure and heat to my arm. The contrast had gone into my arm. They had the lab come in and start the IV in my other arm and we tried again. Same thing happened! Apparently, my veins were weak for some reason? My arms are still hurting...and when they heal I get to go back and do it again. YAY~!

Yikes! Now I'm getting a bit nervous that this will be worse than my first MRI. I'm still really confused about why they stopped in the middle of my CT and decided to do an MRI. Is the detail that much better?

Cheers,
Michelle

The detail is different. To my understanding, MRIs are better at depicting soft tissue, but are not as fast as CAT, and thus the images can suffer more from the patient moving. MRIs are better for the patient inthat they don't give you any radiation. Recently, a number of CAT machines and their operators have been faulted for providing well over the dose of radiation they're supposed to give their patients. Don't know if it's a machine error, or a "tech thing," where they deliberately do it to improve the image.

I know there are a loty of X-Rays involved in valve issues and surgery, so any radiation dose I don't have to get is a plus to me.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I also read about the high doses of radiation and am glad I won't be exposed to that. I'm also glad you mentioned the need to stay still - I'll remember that.

In any case, I'm going to think positively because what's important is to get the best view of the aneurysm. Hopefully I'll get insurance approval and will schedule the test this week.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Michelle

They didn't give me a ball..she didn't even tell me when the contrast was going in, just to hold my breath as long as I could that time. But, it wasn't a bad sensation for me. I think this test is okay if you know about it ahead of time, and what to expect. I had forgotten, because I had only had 1 like it before. Oh, and I think the contrast gave me quite a headache that day. It's just a long procedure, and that table is very narrow. I don't know how some big guys fit onto it!

The detail is different. To my understanding, MRIs are better at depicting soft tissue, but are not as fast as CAT, and thus the images can suffer more from the patient moving. MRIs are better for the patient inthat they don't give you any radiation. Recently, a number of CAT machines and their operators have been faulted for providing well over the dose of radiation they're supposed to give their patients. Don't know if it's a machine error, or a "tech thing," where they deliberately do it to improve the image.

I know there are a loty of X-Rays involved in valve issues and surgery, so any radiation dose I don't have to get is a plus to me.

Best wishes,

Amen to that!! I've had two CAT Scans now to look at my aorta and now that I've read about the high doses of radiation, even when not overloaded, with these procedures, I will try to get my insurance to cover an MRI instead for future views of my thoracic region.. Not to minimize the claustrophobia some people experience, but I get more anxiety over the increased chances of getting cancer than I do from practicing holding my breath while lying down and taking it easy for 45 minutes.

Gail, what instrument do you play? I had to have music because I am totally claustophobic. Kept my eyes closed the whole time. I was given a ball like Duff Man and squeezed it as soon as they rolled me in. They had to talk me down too. The lights were out and it was dark. I told them to turn on some lights and give me some air. Mental imaging and music is the only thing that got me through 2 ours of the MRI. The music was low enough that I could hear them asking me to hold my breath and then breathe. I imagined that the breeze was coming in off the ocean and could see palm trees in my mind. Pretending to lay on a sunny beach worked. Hoping there is not a next time anytime soon.

O.K. everyone I've been a Registered MRI Tech for over 10 years, so if you have any specific questions let me know. Technology is advancing quickly, so scans will become shorter, noise will be less, and they do have 70 cm short bore scanners now (which means more room/less of your body goes in the scanner). Some scanners provide television to watch or at least music to listen to. The technologist should always be communicating with you and provide you with a "panic button" in case you need to get hold of them. If they don't provide you a call button ask for it, every scanner has one. The contrast should not be painful. Unlike CT contrast gadolinium (MRI contrast) should not make you warm or make you feel like you have to go to the bathroom. MRI contrast is not warmed so it is room temperature, you may feel a little bit of coolness going in your arm. Most patients don't even realize we gave them the contrast even when we tell them we are injecting it. Claustrophobia is very common in MRI so never feel bad about needing something to help you relax, just ask for it from your physician before showing up for your exam. I've had MRI's myself and I don't enjoy them, but remember you are safe and always in control. Good luck! By the way sometimes physicians will change CT to MRI or vice versa because they prefer an imaging modality or they don't want to give you large quantities of contrast in CT due to kidney function. If you have had previous OHS they may not want the metal artifact that CT gives off. MRI also has problems with metal artifacts but can be the better option depending on the location they are looking.

I have had a few MRIs earlier and sort fo liked them... If you get a bit detached, it is almost a bit sanctified in the experience, but I can understand your view as well.

However, I am now most likely to have another one, and with a pacemaker, I am not sure how cool I may be this time, given all the odd answers you get. But we'll see.

::g

I, too, used to enjoy the mri of the past. I would always fall asleep, of course this was of the neck, knee, not the heart. Now that the tech has to talk every few minutes, forget the sleep! And the test now is so buzzy, not just the soothing knocking of the past. And lots of loud pitches along with the buzzing. Plus, the breathing out and holding gets really old after you've done it 25 times. But, I survived and have already gotten the results online, but I can't read them! Hah! So, I will wait for my next cardio appt, and let him tell me what I need to know. I'm thankful that I play a woodwind instrument and have lots of music in my brain to bring up as needed for this particular test. Even if I had gotten music, I know I would have been straining to hear it over the noise of the MRI machine. At least it's non-invasive and less radiation. I shudder to think of all the radiation I got when I had to have repeat CT scans of my head during my brain bleed week a yr and a half ago. My poor head!

Latest posts

Back