Breath In......MRI/contrast

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the interesting information. I'm still confused as to why they would stop my CT in mid-stream unless they saw a problem (CTs have been good enough in the past), but whatever gets them the best view of the aneurysm is fine with me and I'll stop worrying about it. : )

I have a question if you don't mind. When the nuse called yesterday to schedule the procedure, the term MRA was used rather than MRI. When I asked her about it she then said this was an MRA/MRI. Are these two basically the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

Thanks again.

Take care everyone.

Cheers,
Michelle

O.K. everyone I've been a Registered MRI Tech for over 10 years, so if you have any specific questions let me know. Technology is advancing quickly, so scans will become shorter, noise will be less, and they do have 70 cm short bore scanners now (which means more room/less of your body goes in the scanner). Some scanners provide television to watch or at least music to listen to. The technologist should always be communicating with you and provide you with a "panic button" in case you need to get hold of them. If they don't provide you a call button ask for it, every scanner has one. The contrast should not be painful. Unlike CT contrast gadolinium (MRI contrast) should not make you warm or make you feel like you have to go to the bathroom. MRI contrast is not warmed so it is room temperature, you may feel a little bit of coolness going in your arm. Most patients don't even realize we gave them the contrast even when we tell them we are injecting it. Claustrophobia is very common in MRI so never feel bad about needing something to help you relax, just ask for it from your physician before showing up for your exam. I've had MRI's myself and I don't enjoy them, but remember you are safe and always in control. Good luck! By the way sometimes physicians will change CT to MRI or vice versa because they prefer an imaging modality or they don't want to give you large quantities of contrast in CT due to kidney function. If you have had previous OHS they may not want the metal artifact that CT gives off. MRI also has problems with metal artifacts but can be the better option depending on the location they are looking.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the interesting information. I'm still confused as to why they would stop my CT in mid-stream unless they saw a problem (CTs have been good enough in the past), but whatever gets them the best view of the aneurysm is fine with me and I'll stop worrying about it. : )

I have a question if you don't mind. When the nuse called yesterday to schedule the procedure, the term MRA was used rather than MRI. When I asked her about it she then said this was an MRA/MRI. Are these two basically the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

Thanks again.

Take care everyone.

Cheers,
Michelle

Funny you asked that. Justin needs a MRI and we're in the middle of sceduallng it (more complicated than it should be, but thats ok, it is moving along) Anyway I pulled out his MRI report from 07 and noticed at the top it said MRI & MRA so I looked up to see what the differene is since he had both. Basically MRA is a MRI that is checking your Blood vessel it stands for Magnetic Resonance Angiography. So the way I understand it is all MRA are MRIs , but not all MRIs are MRAs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_angiography

Thanks for the link, Lyn. Very interesting. Just want to make sure - you're saying that they did Justin's MRI and the MRA at the same time?

Tell me about scheduling difficulties! The nurse called to say that mine has FINALLY been scheduled for later in April but I'm calling radiology myself tomorrow to try to persuade them to get me in earlier. I'm on vacation this coming week and would rather not take another day off work.

Best of luck to Justin when he goes.

Cheers,
Michelle

Thanks for the link, Lyn. Very interesting. Just want to make sure - you're saying that they did Justin's MRI and the MRA at the same time?

Tell me about scheduling difficulties! The nurse called to say that mine has FINALLY been scheduled for later in April but I'm calling radiology myself tomorrow to try to persuade them to get me in earlier. I'm on vacation this coming week and would rather not take another day off work.

Best of luck to Justin when he goes.

Cheers,
Michelle

Yes it was done all at once, I never realized he had 2 things done, until I noticed it on the report. I don't know if it takes longer than just the MRI or just the MRA since both times he had both.
The main schedual hassle is Justin has cardiologists at 2 centers, his other MRI were schedual by the doc at his hospital, but he has his appt coming up with the card at the other center and he needs a new MRI, but everyone wants it at the center he usually has it at, (same techs better machine more consistant) I was hoping the office at that center would order the test since it is just easier, instead of having an order from a doc not on staff, but.... nope

Thanks, Lyn. Only an MRI was mentioned to me so I confirmed today that I am having an MRI/MRA and the good news is that I was able to move up my appointment to this Thursday. My scheduling difficulty was due to a lack of communication between radiology and cardiology.

Again, best wishes to Justin when he goes for his tests.

Cheers,
Michelle

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I survived today's MRI/MRA. Had a washcloth over my eyes and headphones playing a local radio station. Wasn't sure I'd be able to hold my breath as long as they wanted me to a couple of times, but I made it. Yay, me! The abdominal scan wasn't too bad.

Now comes the hardest part - waiting for the results. I'll feel much better when I hear that the aneurysm hasn't changed from last year and there are no new problems.

I also treated myself to a lovely cappuccino and chocolate chip cookie afterwards. : )

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers,
Michelle

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I survived today's MRI/MRA. Had a washcloth over my eyes and headphones playing a local radio station. Wasn't sure I'd be able to hold my breath as long as they wanted me to a couple of times, but I made it. Yay, me! The abdominal scan wasn't too bad.

Now comes the hardest part - waiting for the results. I'll feel much better when I hear that the aneurysm hasn't changed from last year and there are no new problems.

I also treated myself to a lovely cappuccino and chocolate chip cookie afterwards. : )

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers,
Michelle

I'm glad it went ok. Hopefully the results are very good and you can have a sigh of relief. Most of Justin's surgeries have been on his right side, but I'm nervous about his aorta number this MRI too.
Funny across the street from CHOP/UofP where Justin has his surgeries,test most appt is a place that makes really good chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, we usually get a bag of them after Justin test too. One good thing about the hospital being in the city is there are all kinds of food carts outside from fruit stands, to Chinese or Greek and of course being philly cheese steaks. Justin plans for days what he will get after his test

Latest posts

Back