Bowel Movements at Home: When to get concerned?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

I had numerous (water) bowel movements at the hospital. I think 6-7 in those last two days. I returned home on Wednesday afternoon and it is now Friday morning and I have yet to have a bowel movement. When should I get concerned? I am not yet partly because they have me on stool softener, but I worry about straining myself.

Thanks!

I wouldn't be concerned at this point, it's not even been 2 days. Your food intake has probably also decreased significantly, so you just may not have much in there after Wed.'s to go. Also, all the drugs you've had can make your whole system sluggish. Just keep taking your stool softner and you should be fine.

Kim

I would say go ahead and check with your medical team just because the weekend is coming up and it may be harder to get an answer later. But my uninformed opinion is that it's not a problem unless you've been uncomfortable for more than a day.

Call your doctor. They don't want you to be straining for a bowel movement. They always gave Joe advice to take stool softeners, etc. But you should call the doc. Don't want to get impacted in that area. Not a fun thing.

Should have added, make sure you are getting enough fluids. The softeners work much better when there is fluid available for them. Helps to keep things lubricated.

Been there, done that and waited to long - 4 days

Give the doc a call and see what he says. But I wouldn't wait no longer than 2 days without a movement.

In the mean time, drink your fluids.

The stool softeners really help. Just drink plenty of fluids and everything will work out. Don't worry to much about it stress does'nt help either. You probally will only have to take the stool softeners for a few weeks till you get regular again, your body has been through alot.
Take Care.

The narcotic pain killers (percocet, vicodin), and iron supplements will all make you constipated, so you should certainly be taking a stool softener (available over the counter if it wasn't prescribed) and drinking plenty of water. In the hospital they also gave me a Dulcolax suppository (which is available over the counter) to get me started, and I had to use this once at home as well. Walking will also fight constipation, so do as much as you can (which I suspect you probably are).

You will likely be taking iron supplements for a month or so after the surgery. During that time, you may continue to need stool softeners.

8 days

8 days

it took me eight days after surgery, no medication or straining required. i had the impression this was normal on account of all the drugs administered during the operation. after the eighth day i was back to normal.

the only thing that seemed to concerned the nurses was that i could urinate normally

I had numerous (water) bowel movements at the hospital. I think 6-7 in those last two days. I returned home on Wednesday afternoon and it is now Friday morning and I have yet to have a bowel movement. When should I get concerned? I am not yet partly because they have me on stool softener, but I worry about straining myself.

Thanks!

pain meds will cause constipation. drink lots of water, eat some fiber cereal or take two stool softeners or a laxative and that will set you right again. don't let it go on long.

Being constipated is very uncomfortable, we all have had this and as Ann said, pain meds can really put a “stop” to things ... Eats lots of fiber and try 2 cups of prune juice heated in the microwave, drink it down and get ready for action....

This was a major problem for me after surgery. Stick with the stool softeners, plenty of fluid & fiber. My surgeon's PA highly recommended oatmeal for when you're constipated and oatmeal for when it's loose. He called it the perfect food:) It worked wonders with me.

"try 2 cups of prune juice heated in the microwave, drink it down and get ready for action.... " from Cooker.

Several people have mentioned drinking plenty of water, but no one has mentioned fluid restrictions. If the doctors are still restricting your fluids, constipation is one reason they should reconsider.

I don't think anyone has mentioned moving around, especially walking and standing up/sitting down frequently. Your doctor may have recommended walking a certain distance or amount of time each day. Spacing that out over the course of a day can help your bowels to get moving again.

My dad suffered from this for several days after he came home from his OHS in May. He has been regular as clockwork for his 87 years (according to him) and this really threw him for a loop. Anyway, the nurse who came in everyday to check on him told him to keep taking his stool softeners, drink plenty of fluids and keep up with his walking. Thankfully, things did start to work. Oh, we also added some prunes to his diet.

Hey, dude! I am following your threads.

I had horrible constipation after OHS and I was not on pain killers once I got home (Yep, I am OLD). I still take precautions (eating a food substance that gives me "regularity" but seems to have no effect on anyone else--Carageenan). I had a very scary thing in week one because my blood thinners made my hemhoroids bleed a lot! Yow! Pain and blood--my two least favorite things!

Anyway, I still eat my Carageenan, but not a lot, and it keeps me regular. (If I miss it a day, however, I really have trouble.)

I always thought that the blood thinners caused constipation. But, given what others have written here, maybe it is the Metropolol. Does Cameron have you on Metroplol? Do they have you on Cozaar? What are you meds now?:confused:

Be hesitant about taking unprescribed laxatives, too. The stress these drugs can place on your bowels is huge. Don't forget, you were given many drugs that allowed your surgeons to cool your system as you went through the surgery and with that kind of trauma, your endocrine and digestive systems are working over-time to return to your previous functioning.

You can purchase psyllium capsules or powder to add to your diet. All things in moderation and you'll be regular soon enough.

Latest posts

Back