bookjp's surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best wishes to him. I hope that isn't a problem, but did they try lasix yet> This could be no problem at all. You can't drink before surgery, and for a few hours you get very little therafter. Maybe he was just dehydrated, and needed the water. Please keep us posted.

Jim's still in ICU

Jim's still in ICU

His kidneys are working a little better (took him for x-rays of the kidneys this am). I think he is off the IV morphine because his wife said the pain pills are making him nauseated. He hasn't really eaten anything yet (Mr. finicky!!!) He went for a pretty long walk around the ICU and got short of breath and his oxygen level dropped. The nurse asked him if he was a smoker and said that his lungs aren't as strong because of it. I hope this puts fear into him and makes him stop the smoking!!! Otherwise, things are ok. (by the way, I am his sister)

His kidneys are working a little better (took him for x-rays of the kidneys this am). I think he is off the IV morphine because his wife said the pain pills are making him nauseated. He hasn't really eaten anything yet (Mr. finicky!!!) He went for a pretty long walk around the ICU and got short of breath and his oxygen level dropped. The nurse asked him if he was a smoker and said that his lungs aren't as strong because of it. I hope this puts fear into him and makes him stop the smoking!!! Otherwise, things are ok. (by the way, I am his sister)

I'm glad to hear things are moving in the right direction, BTW did you see the picture link you asked about the other day?

photo link

photo link

Yes, we saw the photos. Actually his daughter and I looked at them while Jim was in surgery. They were pretty amazing.

Yes, we saw the photos. Actually his daughter and I looked at them while Jim was in surgery. They were pretty amazing.

I thought Jim was in surgery during the time you posted that's why I was wonderring if you had got a chance to go back and find it. How is the family holding up?

Food tastes terrible for a few weeks after surgery. Everything tastes like metal for most people. Don't nag him about eating. He'll find something that tastes good, probably not something he would normally eat, but it will be good right now.

Saw the surgeon today.....

Saw the surgeon today.....

Just talked to Jim's wife. The surgeon came in to the ICU and asked him if he was ready for some cigarettes. Jim told him that he doesn't think he'll ever want one again after this. The surgeon told him it was the "ugliest" aortic valve that he had ever seen. He continually stresses how horrible the smoking is for your heart and valves. Jim stood at the sink and did hair teeth and shaved after his walk....so that soiunds pretty good. I think they would probably be moving him into the "step-down" unit, but they don't have any beds available there, so they're keeping him in ICU. Thanks for all of the good thoughts....

Thanks for the update. I know his fears with that vent. That's my biggest fear as well. Hang in there.

Day 4 for Jim

Day 4 for Jim

All is going pretty well. He is still in ICU because of a bed shortage in the next unit. He is walking well, catheter is out and that is going ok. The only problem right at the moment seems to be how nauseated he is....he hasn't eaten anything. Is that pretty normal?

All is going pretty well. He is still in ICU because of a bed shortage in the next unit. He is walking well, catheter is out and that is going ok. The only problem right at the moment seems to be how nauseated he is....he hasn't eaten anything. Is that pretty normal?

Yes it is. Like I said, food tastes terrible and being nauseated is probable playing a mental game on him too. Who wants to eat and throw up when their sternum is sawed in two? Look into what pain meds he's being given. Something is causing the nausea. Might ask the Doctor about Phenergan Suppositories or something that will knock out the nausea so he can at least start on some liquids and light foods.

Has he not eaten anything? or just not eating much? How many days post op is he now, 3? I agree with Ross about the pain meds probably causing the nausea

He's been off the vent since the first night right? That seems like a long time before eating to me, but everyone is different.

no food!

no food!

Surgery was Wed. off the vent that night and no food .....just drinks and he is more nauseated each hour....(how bad is it to get sick after the surgery....it seems that he would feel much better if he did)

A Fib

A Fib

Jim's daughter just heard from her mom and said that they got him up to walk again and he went into A Fib?? He started to pull all the tubes out of himself and Jody told the nurse that was totally not like him to do that.....He is now asleep ... (still in ICU due to lack of beds in step-down unit)... they probably gave him something. Is that normal after this surgery?? Has anyone else had this happen and what exactly is it? Thanks for any comments.

He's either still drugged or he's growing very frustrated. I'm betting they've drugged him because he's still nauseous. I started yanking tubes out too. Not fun. They put me out and tied me up!

Pulling at tubes.....

Pulling at tubes.....

No Ross, I think when he was up and went into A Fib is when he started pulling the tubes. I don't know if the racing heartbeat scared him or what???? I just read on another website about these surgeries... that going into A Fib is common after these surgeries. That when they are working on the valve replacement that the fibers that carry the electrical currents in your heart can be damaged (moved?). They will either repair themselves, or they may have to put some kind of (pacemaker) wires accross the top of the heart. It said that is usually successful, but if it isn't, a pacemaker would have to be put in. I sure hope that doesn't happen to him again.

My son was sick for a few days, they told us that he had to eat, we managed to make him eat a packet of skips and all he wanted was ice cream. Hope hes feeling better soon.

The anti-inflamitory pills really nausiated me, especially the Napercin (sp). They switched from oral to suppository for a couple of days and it really seemed to help.

No Ross, I think when he was up and went into A Fib is when he started pulling the tubes. I don't know if the racing heartbeat scared him or what???? I just read on another website about these surgeries... that going into A Fib is common after these surgeries. That when they are working on the valve replacement that the fibers that carry the electrical currents in your heart can be damaged (moved?). They will either repair themselves, or they may have to put some kind of (pacemaker) wires accross the top of the heart. It said that is usually successful, but if it isn't, a pacemaker would have to be put in. I sure hope that doesn't happen to him again.

It is common after surgery for the afib to start. More so with Mitral Valves then Aortic, but both arenas have seen it. Myself included. Usually it corrects itself in time. Sometimes not, but very few people require pacemakers. If it doesn't correct on it's own, they'll try medication and if that doesn't work, cardioversion and if that doesn't work, then last resort is the pacemaker. A lot of time will pass before they reach this conclusion.

Latest posts

Back