Bob Alan out of surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilman

I got word that Bob came through surgery about 3:30 today. They were not able to save his valve and he got a tissue replacement. I'll pass along more info as I get it.

Thanks so much for posting. Please extend our best wishes when you talk to him next.

Good to hear that Bob has arrived on the other side of the mountain. I gather that they were going to try to do a repair and had to do a tissue replacement instead? From my personal experience, that's not a negative at all. Best wishes to him for a smooth recovery with no major bumps in the road.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear that the valve couldn't be saved, but glad to hear that the surgery went well. Hugs. J.

Glad to hear he's made it to the other side. Sorry to hear they couldn't save the valve but the main thing is that the heart has been "fixed". Hope he continues to do well and has a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Good news!

Thoughts/prayers coming to Bob for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Enough is enough, I can't take anymore" ... Alabama ... 'Can't Keep A Good Man Down'

Bob is apparently doing very well in recovery. I got word yesterday that he was taken out of ICU a day early and has only 1 chest tube remaining. He felt good enough that he called into his work place personally to update his co-workers. Here's to his continued successful recovery!

Hi All, I Made IT!!

Hi All, I Made IT!!

Thanks Soilman for your earlier post to bring every one up to speed.
I got home from Duke Sunday, March 18 after surgery on Wednesday. Only four nights in the hospital. I am really surpirsed I do not hurt more than I do. I'm on Zydone for pain every four hours and it is handling the pain pretty well. I had a set-back yesterday when I was lightheaded and ended up at the local hospital ER for EKG and blood work that cumilated in a CAT scan finding pneumonia and fluid in my lungs. I was on an IV drip of Leviquin for 1 1/2 hrs. and sent home with a five day dose - the local ER doctor was good and called my surgeon at Duke to confer on the diagnosis.

My wife is envious of my new neckless, as it has 55 beautiful staples. They are set to come out on March 30. Doc at the local ER said it was a "beautiful job."

As many of you know, I went in to this very positve, and all and all, I did have a good grasp on what to expcet along the way...thanks to many of you and the late night oil I have burnt researching, reading and wondering and praying over all this.

I had all but finally decided on the On-X valve and actally had signed paperwork for a study at Duke; but at the last minute, after talking further with my surgeon, we decided to go with a Freestlye Aortic Root Heart Valve by Medtrontic. We decided the constraints of coumidin at this point in our lives was not what we really wanted.

I'll be back in touch when I feel better. Thanks again for all your support - it was very much appreciated.

Bob

Hey Bob, welcome home! Good to hear from you.

Glad you are doing well.

And hey, welcome to the "Medtronic Freestyle Aortic Root Heart Valve Club." :D :D :D

I am a little biased, but I think you've got a great thing going for you there.

See you around here.

Cheers,

Isn't it wonderful when a plan comes together!!! Congratulations on a good beginning to a successful and happy recovery. All good wishes for a fast recovery are being sent to you.

Blanche

Bob,

WELCOME HOME!

Thoughts/prayers for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Tell me what you see" ... Bob Carlisle ... 'Getting Stronger'

I'm glad to hear you are home and on the mend but sorry to hear about the pneumonia setback. Don't hesitate to call the doc or get checked out if you continue to have pneumonia symptoms. Did they send you home with an incentive spirometer? The valve veterans seem to love that toy!:D

Bob welcome home. As PJmomrunner stated, use the incentive spirometer. That will help you deep breath and get that stuff out of your chest. I am glad everything went smoothly for you. I hope you get over this pneumonia soon!!

Latest posts

Back