Bloodless Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vprnet

I'm being told that a bloodless approach is going to be used for my surgery that involves removing a pint of 2 prior to surgery and then returning it afterwards.

I read one or two posts where this was mentioned.

Has anyone any experience with this procedure that they can share, pre-op questions to ask, etc.?

I really appreciate this wonderful forum and everyone who has given their experiences to it. Have a Happy Thanksgiving
PHP:
BAV diagnosed 1993
ON-X scheduled Dec 10

I had a former neighbour give me some info on this (which I can't find after 2 interstate moves - sorry).. for religious reasons they were unable to accept "foreign" blood. I'm sure if you contact your surgical team in advance they will be able to arrange it for you; it's probably not something you want to leave to the last minute though, as your body will need sufficient time to rebuild it's reserves prior to the surgery.

I had considered it myself, but because I've got really low BP and HR, getting blood out is a nightmare and I really don't cope with it very well. I'm happy to let my BF give me some of his since we're the same type (I've got his credit card... so his life's blood seems the next logical step - mwahahahaha!!! :D ).

A : )

Most everyones surgeries in the U.S. are done this way. I've had it done twice now and you really don't notice anything. Now some people still lose a lot and may require a transfusion, but that is not the norm.

I've had several major surgeries throughout my life. (I think after my latest rt knee surgery and Ross's oral one we're about as close to tied as we can get) I have never required a blood tranfusion.

I couldn't collect my own, even though I inquired about it, as the local hospital had no way to store it and it wasn't very economical to transport it the 3 hours to Edmonton, either. I could have made my own way to the surgical hospital 3 times within the course of a month and there wouldn't have been enough recovery time after the draws nor time to provide an adequate supply before my scheduled theatre visit anyway.

The odds are in favour of not needing blood transfusions and if you request it, in writing. A honourable team will make every effort to avoid giving you blood or blood products. In this day and age, the thought of an unknown person's blood cells possibly infecting me with a frightening disease is my major drive against receiving the gift, regardless of the safe guards in place. I had a cousin die from a Hep. C infected blood transfusion given in the early 80's, he had major skeletal surgery during the period contested in the tainted blood scandal inquiry and litigation and that's where that comes from.

Take Heart, store your blood and perhaps someone you trust will be able to share theirs if needed,
Pamela.

Latest posts

Back