Blood Thinner Meds---What's your experience with them?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopefulHeart

I will have to decide on what type of valve to replace my aortic valve. I have a Bicuspid aortic valve which is in great shape other than being bicuspid. I will need surgery very soon for an aortic aneurysm and I know they will want to just replace the valve at the same time. Since I'm 39 and in overall good health other than the heart defect, they will probably want to give me a mechanical valve. And that would require taking blood thinning meds. For anyone who also has a mechanical valve and is taking the blood thinning meds, what is it like? Is life basically the same except for having to take a pill everyday or are their side effects that are annoying? Do you have to have blood tests for the rest of your life as well?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences. I'm trying to educate myself on all this as much as I can.

Hopeful heart -

I'm 39 years old as well and have been taking warfarin every day for the last 6 years (I was 33 when I had my mechanical valve put in).

The medicine itself is really no big deal. You do have to take it every day but it soon becomes a routine akin to brushing your teeth. The medicine has no taste and no discernible side effects, though some people do tend to bruise easily.

You do need to check your INR regularly and stick to your dosage, but again checking the blood is no big deal. I mean if diabetics can check their blood several times a day, then feel lucky we only have to check once a week or so. Now I only check once a month because I eat healthily and exercise regularly.

I went for the mechanical valve because I didn't want to have to go through surgery again. Warfarin is the trade-off, but it's a choice I'm happy with. I don't let the medicine control my life. I still eat what I want, use a disposable razor, and go hiking and snowboarding regularly. Live life to the fullest, and let the doctors take care of the rest.

I was 31 when I had my mechanical valve implanted and am 77 now....and yes, I have been on warfarin(blood thinner) virtually all of my adult life. It does require routine testing, a finger stick similar to a diabetic testing, on a weekly to monthly schedule. It has had very, very little impact on my lifestyle, diet, or activity. I find it a very predictable drug, but it is a drug you cannot treat casually. Take it as prescribed and test routinely or it will "bite" you....been there done that.

I had no choice of valve type since few valves where available in 1967.....and no tissue type valves where on the market. In hindsite, that was a good thing, as I have lived my life with no additional surgeries.

Hello, HopefulHeart!

I agree with the others here that blood thinners/mechanical valve are a sound (no pun intended) investment in your future! I had my mitral valve replaced at age 55; thirteen years later, I am better than ever. Yes, you must be diligent in handling the testing and follow your doc's instructions. Self-testing at home really was a positive step--I started that about 18 months ago (Coaguchek X) and am fully satisfied with the product/process.

All the best to you on whatever path you might select. Happy holidays and way beyond!!

Thanks Tony! I read your thread and it was very informative....answered all my questions and put my mind at ease. Can't ask for any more than that. By the way, noticed you are in North Van, BC. My parents lived in West Van, BC for several years, then moved to Calgary, Alberta. They lived there for several years as well and then moved back to the US when they retired to be closer to me and my brother and sister. They loved Canada and so did we. Enjoyed shopping at Park Royal. Sometimes we'd head over to North Van and shop at Lonsdale Quay Market. Great times!

Thanks everyone for your posts. You all gave me some fantastic information. I'm not worried anymore thanks to you all. Some of you also have a great sense of humor about all this. I love it! I would be very lost without this site and all of you. :)

Glad to know that you feel more at ease about anticoagulants (blood thinners) after reading up on our posts.

I too have been on Coumadin for many years, since the age of 24 when I had both aortic and mitral valves replaced.
Yes, you do have to learn to manage it and get tested as required by your physicians but it is nothing to be feared or feel intimidated about. It is doable and it will become just another medication you have to remember to take daily.

Take care and I wish you all the best!

Anticoag meds don't bother me at all; having a Coaguchek XS home monitor makes testing a piece of cake. And my 7 day pillbox ensures that i don't forget or double up a dose.
My diet hasn't changed because I eat very sensibly as far as daily greens and veggies (LOVE them).

First off - the valve choice is YOUR decision, not the doctor. Yes, they may try to steer you one way or another. I'd suggest that you do some research and decide what you want.

I had mine done at 54 and went mechanical. The warfarin hasn't been too bad, but it has a narrow therapeutic window and must be closely monitored, as others have pointed out. There's a lot of information on this site about it. You might want to do a search.

I have had my StJude with accompanying Dacron aortic graft for 7+ years now. Warfarin is just a little pill I take each night and I get my blood tested about once a month (sometimes I forget). My inr has been stable for as long as I can remember and everything is exactly the same as it used to be pre-AVR surgery. I make no changes whatsoever, eat what I want and I am virtually vegetarian. I was 41 when I had my surgery and apart from a few initial hiccups I am perfectly fine and if I didnt tell you I had this done you would never guess.

good luck...knowledge is power :)

I agree with all the others above. For me it was just getting used to taking a pill every day. I eat & drink what ever I want and test at home once a week, in 5 minutes. I have mechanical and have a range of 2.5 to 3.5, giving me lots of room to adjust accordingly, to stay in range if needed. So for me....I've had no problems with warfarin to date. Its only been 3 three with the drug, but so far so good. I appreciate the other members on VR experience, and longevity with the drug. Good luck with your journey, you have a great resource on here, of support and info at your finger tips.

Cheers
Doug

I've been on Warfarin for four months now, and it's been a non-issue. I've cut myself several times, and I haven't noticed much difference in the clotting times. Granted, they were small cuts, but two were on my head, which tends to bleed a lot, and even those weren't a big deal. I'm part of a search & rescue team, so I do keep several clotting aids in my med kit (Would Seal powder and Curad Blood Stop gauze), just in case I get injured badly, but I don't feel like I need to keep them on me all the time.

I was 38 when I had my aortic valve replaced with the an on-x valve. So for two years I've been on blood thinner and it really is just like taking a daily vitamin. I have no side effects and I live virtually the same way I did before the operation. Every 2 months I get my INR checked (takes about .5 hour of my time) and it 's always in range and very stable.

hi

you've probably read plenty of my posts in anti-coagulation and seen my views a lot.

Before I had my homograft changed to a mechanical I didn't know anything about anticoagulants other than it was a pill to take every day and that it might lead to some issues in the long term - so pretty unclear and hazy.

As I have said many times here it has made very little difference to my life.

My most sincere recomendation is to self monitor and self dose. It will take some guidance but within a year you will become quite more expert in your body than any clinic is.

Spend time doing careful testing at first because this is a period where you will learn how to do it and gain confidence (which is really important). Depending on your personality knowing things about it all can make you feel comfortable about it all.

Warfarin is a drug that is monitored but I don't find this a burden at all.I have my INR checked every six to seven weeks so definatley a nonissue. My INR's have been pretty stable since my AVR nearly 2 years ago. Mechanical valves are sweet--unlikely that you will return to the OR for another valve replacement surgery.
Wishing you the best!

njean and dick0236 both have me beat, but I'm over 23 years now on Warfarin. Started taking it just before I turned 18. Survived being a single young adult male for several years on it (not the greatest decision making demographic). I plan on testing it for really long term effects. Another 40 plus years would be great.

There are people on the board far more active than I that do just fine with snowboarding, mountain biking, lifting, etc. I used to do quite a bit of mountain biking and took some pretty good falls as well. Coached little league and took some shots with line-drives and errant bats from the kids.

I wouldn't say it's anything to be taken lightly, there is a certain level of awareness that I think most of us live with. Can't speak for everyone here, but while I don't obsess about it, I do consider the impact of decisions. If I go heavier than usual on the greens (all you can eat salad bar!), I might have a passing thought that if my INR is under range, know to remember the "why" and inform the Clinic if necessary. Recently transfered my script to another pharmacy who used a different generic supplier. A 5mg tablet from one generic to another has an allowable margin of error. My last reading was low, and I know this is why.

Latest posts

Back