Blood clotting agent

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtkayak

I was talking with a friend of mine who is a GBI agent here in Georgia. The topic of bleeding to death came up, not exactly a desirable topic but...She said that the military had created and uses a powder that clots blood quickly in an emergency situation when somebody is bleeding profusely, probably by a gun shot wound. In a situation where somebody may bleed to death, they apply this powder and it's clots the blood rather fast. Some State and Local authorities and Paramedic units are/may start using this powder as well. She didn't exactly have the details but said she would reseach it. I was wondering if anybody had heard of this or know's what it is. It would be great if it were available to the public and would be a great addition to a first aid kit in case of an emergency.

Mike:
I saw Blood Clotter Spray in several catalogs I borrowed from a friend who is a safety director for a company in Houston.

Here's a link to the spray in one of the catalogs:

http://www.northernsafety.com/cart/cart.cfm?PROD_NUM=250-3460&Action=01

(I've ordered several 100-count boxes of bandages, several boxes of 2X2 pads & 2 boxes of individual packets of triple antibiotic ointment. Passed on the Blood Clotter Spray)

Great! Thanks Ross and Marsha. I think it would be great to have for outdoor or wilderness activities.

catwoman said:
Mike:
Prescription is needed for TraumaDex. QuikClot does not appear to need one.
The Baltimore Sun's website has a comparison between that product & Hemcon.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/na...120,1,5153440.graphic?coll=bal-home-headlines

Thanks Marsha. Hmm, looks like I might go with QuikClot. Hemcon uses shrimp shells and it's expensive. I'm allergic to shrimp. I wonder if you can have an allergic reaction to shrimp shells. If I'm bleeding to death, I doubt I would care about having an allergic reaction to shrimp :) Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud.

I have asked dozens or trauma surgeons, ER nurses, flight paramedics etc if they have ever seen a person who bled to death from a cut to their arm or leg. The answer is always,"No."

There are many reliable records from around 1800, when blood letting was a popular medical procedure, of people having a gallon of blood drained out intentionally. Many said that they felt weak but they were able to walk home.

allodwick said:
I have asked dozens or trauma surgeons, ER nurses, flight paramedics etc if they have ever seen a person who bled to death from a cut to their arm or leg. The answer is always,"No."

There are many reliable records from around 1800, when blood letting was a popular medical procedure, of people having a gallon of blood drained out intentionally. Many said that they felt weak but they were able to walk home.
Al what do you think? Should I get a pack to drink the next time I have a GI Bleed? :eek: :D

allodwick said:

What if you are suffer a laseration on the leg out in the Wilderness and you are hours away from a hospital? Unless Search and Rescue calls to have you air lifted out you could stand to lose a lot of blood, don't you think?

Our helicopter can bring in people from 150 miles away so it covers a lot of mountain and wilderness terrain - even car accidents that can take up to half an hour to get a first responder on the scene. It could happen but none of them have ever had even one case.

I am not exaggerating. Colorado east of Interstate 25 is approximately the size of the entire state of Illinois and some nights there is one highway patrol officer on duty.

I think I know what you are referring to...

I think I know what you are referring to...

The thing they used in WW2 was silver nitrate. It's a powder that can be sprinkled on blood or a wound. It pretty much instantly cauterizes a wound. The hospital used it on me a while back when I had a big nose bleed. They have little q-tip kinda things that have it on. It stinks bad and hurts like nothing I've ever experienced (just like fire) but if I were bleeding to death I think I'd be willing to do most anything.

~
David

allodwick said:
Our helicopter can bring in people from 150 miles away so it covers a lot of mountain and wilderness terrain - even car accidents that can take up to half an hour to get a first responder on the scene. It could happen but none of them have ever had even one case.

I am not exaggerating. Colorado east of Interstate 25 is approximately the size of the entire state of Illinois and some nights there is one highway patrol officer on duty.

Yeah, those guys are pretty amazing! Last year in West Virginia, I was paddling the Gauley River and a girl was paddling through a rapid and flipped. She ended up cracking her C4 vertebrae after hitting her head on a rock, she suffered some numbness in her arms and legs. Anyhow, they air lfited her out of the gorge and to the hospital within an hour. She eventually recovered with no permanent damage. It was amazing to see that helicopter land in the middle of the river on a flat rock that was barely bigger than the helicopter itself. It was an amazing thing to watch! Those guys are highly skilled in rescue situations.

Thr trouble with silver nitrate is that it leaves a semi-permanent tattoo (might last 20 years or so). Not of much concern inside your nose, but very noticible if you put it on a cut on your face.

Latest posts

Back