Bleeding question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, it depends on the kind of bleeding. If you sometimes get bleeding ulcers, that would be very bad if you're taking Coumadin. On the other hand, shaving cuts, menstrual bleeding or hemorrhoids are not a problem.

If you have any bleeding even though it is infrequent, is it still okay to go with a mechancial?

If you have a specific condition that causes occasional bleeding, I would ask my cardio. Warfarin only delays clotting by a few seconds and has never caused me any problems, even after cuts that required "stitches", dental extractions, etc.

Hi

to the BreakingWave (the OP) I agree with what Dick has written
If you have a specific condition that causes occasional bleeding, I would ask my cardio. Warfarin only delays clotting by a few seconds and has never caused me any problems, even after cuts that required "stitches", dental extractions, etc.

further I came across this recently:

This is data from death certificates listing this as the cause of death. There were an estimated 30,600,000 prescriptions filled for warfarin in 2004. This is an estimated increase of 45% from 1998. So for every 10 million prescriptions filled for warfarin, approximately 1 person died with the primary cause of death being anticoagulation.
Reference: Wysowski DK et al. Bleeding Complications with Warfarin Use. Arch Intern Med. 2007;167:1414-9

having spent a lifetime dreading being on warfarin (I was diagnosed at about 5YO and had my first OHS at 10, more surgery was always on the cards) I have found that there seems little real basis for the 'fear' that seems to have occured.

I don't know if that fear was promulgated by the medical profession or something I picked up 'on the ground' ... either way it seems to be (to quote Dickens) "greatly exaggerated"

I'm no warfarin with a mechanical now. Assuming that my last surgery didn't occur and that I'd had a mechanical on the surgery before that right now I'd be perfectly healthy (as I was before this 2011 surgery). As it it I am now recovering from post surgical complications and life is quite annoying for me atm.

Most definately - discuss this with your surgeon. We in the main here only have our personal experiences and some anecdotes. :)
hope that helps

I have chronic hemrhoids due to years ago colon problems. This was my big fear with warfarin. My cardio/surgeon knew little to nothing, so I went to my proctologist/colorectal surgeon. He wanted to do a colonoscopy to make sure there was nothing new, but he said "don't worry", there are lots of people with rhoids on warfarin. He was right, I've been on warfarin for a year with about 4 bleeding instances, all of which healed in about the same amount of time with the same medication.

Latest posts

Back