Bleeding from chest tube

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pem

After showering today and cleaning the incision areas, one of my chest tube holes began to weep fluid with a fairly reddish color. The weeping seemed light until I leaned forward and the gauze was instantly saturated. My INR this morning was 3.8 so I was told to take no coumadin tonight. The doc on call said that the weeping chest tube hole was common. What I've noticed over time, though, after filling 20 large gauze pads, is that the flow rate is slowing down, but what is coming out is redder and darker, though still fairly thin but less runny. Does anyone have experiences that suggest what would be "normal" and safe for this kind if thing?

Thanks,
Sleepless in Seattle

Mine was one large drain tube hole and it had a stitch or two holding it closed for the 2 weeks that i was in hospital.
Since you are only 1 week post op, a call to your surgeon's assistant may be in order. Otherwise, as long as it is
bleeding I would lie down, KEEP the gauze pads on to allow clotting, because removing them allows the flow to
continue.
Also, I don't know why you have been told to hold your dose of Coumadin tonight, a half dose might have been
reasonable....but I am not your doctor.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. It is still weepy today but less so, and less bloody. I think I was told to hold a dose because it had jumped up so fast. Today my INR was 3.3 so I guess whatever the ratonale was made sense(?)

Thanks again
Pem

I wonder why they didn't suture or butterfly my chest tube hole.

I didn't have that either. I'm pretty sure both of my holes closed up on their own within a day after they removed the dressing, basically my first day home.

Neither of these things probably had any influence, but I should mention I was never on any coumadin and didn't do a real shower until a week and a half after surgery (pacemaker incision restriction).

By the way, while mine may have been quick to close, they are still easily seen 10 months later.

I had three drainage tubes my first OHS and four the second time.
None of the weeped or leaked.
I was on a short course of coumadin second surgery and that didn't seem to make a difference.
Both surgeries, I showered a few days post op while in the hospital and every day thereafter when I came home.
If this continues, I would definitely contact me surgeon.
Best wishes.

Thanks. The home nurse today saw what was going on and seemed perfectly comfortable with it (though it was less red this morning). Anyway, it seems to have resolved at least for the time being. I now I scrub more gently in the shower :)

Best
Pem

Latest posts

Back