Big Leak. Long Story.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeartDawg

So, three years out, I am told that I have a significant (I think the words used were "very large") paraprosthetic leak around my St. Jude's Regent valve.

Now for some quick background to lead up to my questions/concerns:

I was diagnosed in 1994 with a bicuspid aortic valve.

I had annual echocardiograms from 1994 until 2006. Because I had a number of moves during that time, I worked with a number of cardiologists, and automatically had a follow up discussion after the echo.

In the summer of 2006 (after another move) and feeling as if I was getting symptomatic, I had another echocardiogram with HOSPITAL A. However, it wasn't until three phone calls later that I finally got a return call telling me that the cardiologist wanted to see me in six months.

Because I was concerned about how this went, I did my next echo in January 2007 with another hospital ... HOSPITAL B. They were clearly shocked by what they were seeing, and were also shocked by the echo results from the previous summer ... visibly upset that HOSPITAL A had not replaced the valve back then. We underwent the valve replacement surgery three weeks later.

A couple months after surgery, I had a follow up echocardiogram with HOSPITAL B. The cardiologist called me a few days later and the first words out of his mouth were, "Are you feeling alright?" I was. He said he was very worried because he saw lots of leakage, but would get back to me.

The cardiologist called me a few days later to say that he spoke with the surgeon (a fairly highly regarded surgeon) who told him to, "Mellow out." That this valve was designed to have leakage. My recollection was that the leakage the cardiologist saw was designed into the valve to reduce clotting. The cardiologist told me that he was unaware of this and that it was the first he had heard of the valve ... which led me to lose confidence in that cardiologist.

I figured all was ok and went on my merry way. I have had regular appointments with my GP back at HOSPITAL A who told me he didn't see any reason for me to have regular (annual) echos. OK ... fine.

Now, 3.5 years later, I was experiencing some chest pain (which I still think is unrelated), that led to an echocardiogram at HOSPITAL A. The GP seemed to have changed his mind ... and said, "Well, you really should be getting annual echos anyway."

And, the results, the current cardiologist say show significant paraprosthetic leakage. A lot. Not sure what that means, but he stressed that it was a lot ... and he had reviewed thousands of echocardiograms of patients with mechanical valves. Additionally, he says he is seeing the SAME leakage that was evident in the echocardiogram seen in 2007 by HOSPITAL B, and that it is NOT supposed to be there. I relayed what I had been told in 2007, and this cardiologist scoffed.

What to do about the leak? Nothing says the current cardiologist. The options are replace the valve or leave it as is and do an echo every six months for awhile. My heart, he says, is fairly large, but no larger than it was immediately after surgery.

So, here are the questions and concerns.

Geez, at this point I don't know who to trust. Unlike others on this board, I have no expertise in my condition. I've trusted the medical experts. But, now, after these interesting turns, I'm not sure what to do.

I asked the current cardiologist if I should get another opinion. He says there is no need.

Should I get another opinion? I have an option of going to HOSPITAL M (for Mayo) and getting a good review of everything there.

Thoughts? Insights? Advise? I appreciate any input.

I'm sorry you have been getting so much confusing advice for years (and you have a large leak) I personally would have trouble believing what either hospital A or B are talking about and would go to Mayo to at least get check out and get their opinion.

Peace of mind is everything. If going to Mayo will give you that, do it. Your in charge, not the doctors. When you can't trust their advice, it's time to find someone you can trust. Good Luck, keep us posted.

I have my reasons for not trusting doctors as well. Get another opinion. Your local hospital cardiologists they are thinking mostly about your present condition and not future implications. A good hospital like Mayo have a reputation to live up to. Go there and go soon so you can get this taken care of or at least put the issue to bed. What you are experiencing is something I haven't heard of you may also want to talk to the surgeon who did this. But I'd get another opinion. You could even have your records sent to the Cleveland clinic and they'll tell you whatever you need to know even if you don't go there. I think having a TEE wouldn't hurt, when I went for my TEE at the Cleveland clinic four surgeons and two cardiologist checked it out. I think it is because a thoracic surgeon must perform a TEE.

My butt would have been to the Mayo long ago when I first received conflicting reports from those two and I'm not saying that because I went to the Mayo and had a good experience there. I would have gone anywhere else at that point and gotten another opinion because I wouldn't have trusted either of them.

I left the Mayo knowing I had been looked at more thoroughly than I had at any other place I had ever been to in my life and I grew up going to some decent heart hospitals, Vandy and Duke. But neither of them spent the time looking at every part of my heart and explaining all my options to me. It won't hurt you to know what your options are.

Kim

I'm very sorry to hear the situation in which you find yourself. I am very sure were it me, I'd be at Mass General because of where I live ..... in your case, Mayo.

Is one doctor covering for another? No one wants to admit they 'dropped the ball'? Maybe that isn't the case but I'd sure want to know.

You will not have peace of mind until you get an opinion from an unbiased, independent, highly reputed cardiologist/surgeon.
Best Wishes.

Good gawd, I hate that kind of equivocation (or evasion as the case may be) from medical professionals. I find myself currently in a bit of a dilemma as a result of conflicting opinions myself, but won't hijack your thread and go into that.)

I would round up all the reports of the echos and any other tests, including getting the echos on a disk (you are entitled to all this) and take them to Mayo for analysis, as others have suggested. Sounds like you have become something of a football being punted back and forth. It is time for that to stop and for you to get a competent diagnosis and the answers you need.

I agree with the others here. It's scary what they are tell you. Should I get another opinion? Hell Yeah!.Mayo Hospital is best known for heart surgery.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to go ahead with the Option M(ayo).

I was sort of hoping somebody could explain why noted heart surgeon and Hospital B claimed that the leakage seen in 2007 was perfectly expected! That one really troubles me!

I was sort of hoping somebody could explain why noted heart surgeon and Hospital B claimed that the leakage seen in 2007 was perfectly expected! That one really troubles me!

My very limited understanding is that mild leakage is quite common and normal. But if I understand you correctly, the surgeon and Hospital B were telling you that fairly significant leakage ("a lot") was normal -- and in fact that such leakage was "built into" the valve to reduce clotting somehow. All I can say is that I have never heard that said; I've only heard that minor/trivial leakage is to be expected. Of course, I am no medical professional.

I am glad you are planning to go to Mayo to get it all sorted out. Please keep us posted.

Did your surgeon have previous experience implanting the Regent valve ?
From what I understand the Regent's sewing cuff is supra-annular (like the On-X valve) and it requires
a slightly different sewing technique. Otherwise, trace/trivial leakage on any of the valves is not uncommon.

I would definitely get another opinion at Mayo.. and I would never go longer than a year without an echo..

Thanks, Bina

Thanks, Bina

Did your surgeon have previous experience implanting the Regent valve ?
From what I understand the Regent's sewing cuff is supra-annular (like the On-X valve) and it requires
a slightly different sewing technique. Otherwise, trace/trivial leakage on any of the valves is not uncommon.

Oh, LOTS of experience!

I believe the current cardiologist said my sort of leakage happened to about 1-1.5% of the valve recipients; which he said is likely due to a misshapen aorta.

It just remains very unclear to me why the cardiologist just after surgery initially was very concerned about the leakage and then came back and said he got the all-clear from the surgeon. In fact, he said something very much like, "The surgeon tells me that the leak is supposed to be there and that it's new to this valve ... as a possible solution to reducing the likelihood of clotting. I've just never seen it before." GEEZ! I never went back to that cardiologist, but now I wonder what the heck he was hearing from the surgeon, who ... again ... is no slouch based on what I've seen.

Anyway, yes, Mayo is going to happen. (I actually have a sibling who works there, so he's going to be talking with some of his heart buddies.)

I don't seen mention of your having had a TEE... Have you had one?

I have some leakage around mine, and have had 2 TEEs post-op, in 2007 and 2009, to get a better look at what's going on. The 2009 showed that nothing's changed from 2007. I had changed cardios in 2009, and the new one wanted to compare what was currently going on with what was recorded 2 years previously. So the new cardio got one of his colleges -- cardiologist, not a surgeon -- to do the TEE; that cardio was able to compare the new with the old and report that the valve is stable while I was still at the hospital.

BTW, if my memory serves correctly, anyone can have leakage around a valve -- tissue or mechanical. I've seen a few posts over the last 7 years from tissue valvers in the same situation.

Thanks! I've had some tea in my day, but don't recall having any TEE! I'm looking forward to seeing what the Mayo folks say. I think the information (not all my detailed charts) ... just my summary ... were walked down that way today.

Back