Better than I could have ever imagined

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DSOB

So, 11 weeks post valve replacement I reffed my first high school soccer game tonight. With varsity and junior varsity, that is 140 minutes of jogging and wind sprints. 86 degrees and 80% humidity. A sweating paradise.

While I had been walking and jogging about 4 miles a day, with 20 or so 50 yard windsprints during one of the miles, I wasn't sure I would really be able to do this. I was a little winded after the daily wind sprints, so I wondered what would happen in game situations where you have to try to keep up with high school athletes.

So I started the game after about 10 minutes of stretching wondering what I might have gotten myself into. Within ten minutes i felt a tweak in my right calf. So I adjusted my running style for a while and it went away.

After 20 minutes I realized I was good and sweaty, having really been running hard and pretty much keeping up with where I needed to be. It felt good. I realized I was enjoying myself. And it kept feeling better and I was running faster as the games progressed. And I think I was running as well as I did for the last several years. (Remember, my valve went fast, I was asymptomatic up to the date of my surgery, except for blood pressure increases in the 3 weeks pre-surgery, so my running hadn't been affected by the screwed up leaflet.)

I made sure I stayed hydrated, and after the second game I was sweaty and happy. My last worry really is gone. Life is sweet.:D

dennis

dennis

Hey Dennis, this is great news! I know you have had this as a goal for the past 2 months and I'm so glad to see you were able to accomplish it! I had a goal right after surgery to do a 5k by my 3rd month and I did it also at 11 weeks. I walked it, did'nt run but that was fine with me because I'm a ACH patient and have never been able to run my whole life. Goals are very good to have, what is your next goal?? My current goal is to ride my bike everyother day as far as I can go without wearing myself out too much. I'm up to 6-8 miles at a time and have about 150 miles logged on my bike counter from the last 2 months. Keep up the good work and keep track of your exercise for Tom's mileage throwdown on Friday's.
Take care Debbie :)
P.S. We have the same valve :)

Latest posts

Back