Beta-Blockers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been weaning myself down from 50mg of Toprol to 12.5mg in hopes to go off it. I've been doing the 12.5 for about 3 weeks with my resting heart rate in the 80's (good for me since post surgery it was around 112). I only let it go 1 day and my HR shot up to 102 and I felt like crap. So, I guess I'll stick with my little dose for now and try another time :rolleyes:

tprice54 said:
Please note that you really have to cut back slowly on Toprol. I have been on it twice, and both times I took weeks cutting back. Per my cardio's instruction. Toprol should not be stopped cold turkey.....

This is helpful. My primary care doc did try the cold turkey thing. Now, we've cut back to half the doseage with no obvious changes.

Right there with you Lynn....

Right there with you Lynn....

OK, spoke too soon I suppose.

Been off the beta blocker for 3 weeks and my resting heartrate rarely drops below 100 now and I fill exhausted all the time. I have a call into the cardio, my bet is I need a low dose of the stuff.

Anybody here know what a decent post-surgery resting heart rate is? To me the 80's feel decent, the 90's not so good and the 100's, well, those just exhaust me by the end of the day.

All my best,
Ruth

Ruth....I would say those numbers work for me! Rarely did I get in the 70's even when I was on 25 or 50 mg! I only got real dizzy with those doses. So, I'm starting back on the 12.5 and yesterday I was mostly in the high 80's. If it goes any higher I may bump up to 25mg for a bit then drop back down. I just don't want to mess with the dosage too much!

I guess I just have to give in and tell myself that I need to be on the Toprol for a long while.....grrrrrr! :eek:

Is there even any real need to rush ourselves off this stuff? Leaving the hospital after surgery, I was just completely unclear as to how long I should be on the drug as I didn't recall getting any information about that. I think my PC doc mistook my questions about Toprol for a yearning to be off it.

I too, really disliked the 100s.

I, for one, love being in the low 60s. I can even tell the difference when I am in the 80s. (And, being I can hear every one of those clicks, 60 seems to be a nice comfortable pace!)

Also, I am assuming that Toprol influences both the heart rate AND the blood pressure? Correct? Is it just me, or do I click louder when off the stuff? Ha!

For now, 12.5 seems to keep me where I want to be.

It does affect the blood pressure, just now I took mine and it was 98/58 with a HR of 95....I hate that! I shouldn't have tried to go off it (12.5) because I was like 102/65 and running in the 80's, which for me was better than the 90's! Hopefully I can straighten back out.:(

Heart Rate

Heart Rate

Yes, Toporl is very much is a "governor" for the heart. No matter how hard I try, I cannot get my heart rate over 130's when I'm on it.

Hi. Good thread. I have just weaned myself VERY slowly off ToprolXL and am not too happy with the results. Resting heartrate in the 80's....used to be high 60's. Now I can feel it and it's annoying.

My cardio had me on Atenolol the year before surgery to control my PVC's which were very uncomfortable for me. We switched to ToprolXL because I felt that my side effects from Atenolol might be avoidable. Eventually, the Toprol bothered me much the same way.....tight throat, amazing dreams, new hayfever sensitivities. My cardio said that the only thing the BB was controlling were my benign PVC's, so if I wanted to live without the meds it was fine. We had upped the Toprol from the minimum dose to 50mg after a deep tissue massage (not advisable!!) sent my PVC's into a whole new world of discomfort. She told me I could just stop the drug since I was on "such a low dose". I believed her and did. Also NOT advisable!! Several times I was struck by an electrical shock like feeling to the heart....as if someone were squeezing it hard and suddenly. I went right home and took my TOprol again and the sensation did not return. I then weaned myself very slowly by cutting dose in half one day, then same then half and staggering the cutting down so that after a month it was 1/4 of the pill every other day and then nothing.

I am also on Diovan for BP and since it had been creeping up, we upped the dosage of Diovan to 160mg and dropped the beta blocker. My BP is now pretty good in the 120/75 range with HR about 75-85.

I will say, though, that my HR jumps up and goes abit bonkers if I eat chocolate, drink caffeinated beverages, or use hot sauce. So for now, for me, I'm avoiding all the "triggers" and trying to see if my heart will find a new pace. I'm losing weight (slow but sure) and hoping that will help also.

Certainly, if the meds did not come with unpleasant side effects, I would stay on them. I just feel more like myself without them so that is how I'm currently choosing to manage them. I may get real sick of this pounding heart and try something else. My cardio says there are dozens of meds to try, so we'll see.

Marguerite

This finally led me to take a look at possible side effects ... and, it turns out, that I am pretty sure I don't have any of those. Sounds like Marguerite got 'em all!

I also realized that I mistakenly (above) reported being at 12.5. I am at 25 ... half of a 50 mg extended release tablet.

This all really underscores how my general practicioner botched it when he tried to cut me off cold turkey. I like him. Think he's great. But, geez, you'd think he would know better than that!

Since I had been put on Metoprolol (50 mg twice a day) when I first got A-Fib in August 2005, and the side effects were terrible (fatigue and my legs felt like they had lead in them when I tried to walk) I was very adverse to taking them after my surgery when I first saw my cardio (my heart rate was high and I know he wanted to put me on them). However, when I saw him again last September, I said I would be willing to try a beta blocker if he took the lowest dose possible and then cut that in half, and if I could get right off them if I had bad side effects. He said O.K. and prescribed Metoprolol again, but this time one quarter of what I had taken before, i.e. 12.5 mg. twice a day. I have no side effects (other than rather vivid dreams), feel great, and my heart rate is generally in the 70's, sometimes in the 80's when it is wearing off. So, I am very happy with that and don't mind taking them.

Tom, my cardio told me to stop *cold turkey* too! But, after listening to my oh, so wise friend Marguerite, I cut my 25 into 12.5. I certainly haven't had any of the side effects she has had!!! Mine is more the low bp that bothers me, I just can't seem to find a middle ground!

But, I see the cardio on Tuesday, after I ream him a new one maybe he'll find me something else!:eek:

Middle ground

Middle ground

To all: If you don't already have a pill chopper, go to the local drug store and buy one. They are a cheap little plastic contraption that holds a razor blade at the right angle so that when you close the box it chops a pill in half.

When the Dr.'s say to stop something I usually chop the pills in half for awhile then 1/4'th for awhile. It helps me wean off. I used my chopper for pain meds post surgery and it was great for that.

Lynn, I'm with you on the pursuit of a middle ground, somewhere between a racing heartrate and a too-low bloodpressure, uggg.

Marguarite, I'm with you on the trigger avoidance, for me a trip to Starbucks has gotten to be a problem. I used to be a coffee-a-holic but I've cut back to none again, I think it sets my heart racing more than it ever did pre-surgery. I wish it didn't, I still like the taste of real (not decaf) coffee. Is there such a thing as a 'good' decaf?

I guess the bottom line is that sometimes these drugs are for the best. I wish I didn't need 'em.

Take care all,
Ruth

Ruth, I'm using Maxwell House Lite coffee, it's half the caffeine :) But, my coffee consists of mostly cream anyway! :D I have about 2 cups in the a.m. then stay away from all other caffeine the rest of the day. Maybe, and that's a big MAYBE I'll drop those 2 cups (which really are 1 cup because it's Lite ;) ) and see if that helps at all!

Toprol

Toprol

I was on Toprol XL 97 mg daily for most of the 12 months post surgery to slow my heart rate to assist heart remodelling. I felt tired much of the time and I also battled weight gain, this was a price I was willing to have post surgery! One year post surgery my heart had remodelled and the cardio allowed me to titrate off Beta Blockers. I never had a heart rate problem before surgery, without Beta Blockers 1+ year post surgery, when I check by BP my heart rate is usually in the high 50's to low 60's. :)

I guess everyone's experiences are different and there are different schools of thought among medical professionals....
I was on Sotalol for several years prior to my surgery, so that my heart rate would stay in the 60's, and to try and maintain sinus rhythm (which it mostly did). But post surgery, my surgeon and cardiologist did not want me to go back on it - let the heart rate slow down on its own which it will do eventually, they said. And you know what - they were right. It has taken 7 months, but now my heart rate is starting to drop down to the low 80's which is pretty comfortable for me. For a long time it would be in the high 90's, even up to 110 at times. But I still felt ok with that - staying in SR is the main thing - I don't mind a fast resting heart rate TOO MUCH, as long as I don't go into A-Fib.
Any way I am only on Warfarin now, as far as I am concerned the less drugs I have to take the better!
Bridgette

I took Toprol XL for several months for high BP. Really didn't like the stuff.
Doc took me off slow. Stopping was no big deal, just do it gradual.

The real key, as you pointed out somwhere earlier, is that everyone is different. Very different. At least chemically. You may or may not be able to go off your beta blocker succesfully, but there is at least a concensus that "once you're on, you can never go off" is merely a handy fable for the cardiologist.

My wife developed drug-induced psoriasis from a mere 25mg daily dose of Atenolol. I didn't seem to have much affect at 25mg, but when the cardiologist moved me to fifty milligrams, I became tired and lethargic, and put on weight. When I finished off my wife's pills (different generic atenolol from a different drug store), I developed really unhappy sexual side effects, and started getting welts that looked like the beginning of my wife's psoriasis. I dropped back to 25mg, and stuck to my own drugstore's generic.

However, I do get a tight throat (which used to be my angina warning), and now have what my doctor desribed as "the angriest sinuses I have ever seen," neither of which I had in the past. Until you mentioned it, Marguerite, I thought I was projecting them as side effects. I guess not.

Why do I say a "mere dose" of 25mg? Because I know on this board there is at least one person who is taking 400mg of Atenolol a day (and several at 350mg/day), with no apparent ill effects at all. Again, we're all very different, chemically. Take anyone else's good or bad reviews of the more common blood pressure drugs with a grain of salt, for their results very well may not reflect yours. (Except for Amiodorone, a wonder drug which should only be used for emergency or severe cases, but which is being handed out liberally as a cure-all for arrhythmias, without apparent regard for its other effects.)

My HB usually reads in the high fifties to the high sixties. However, I have an "aggressive" (cardio's term) heartbeat, so that low a rate may not be as comfortable for others. Because of that, my aortic pressure gradient is also about triple what it should be. The valve, however, is functioning perfectly so far. I suspect this wrinkle will cut into its lifespan, and is probably associated with the accelerated calcification of my natural valve.

Best wishes,

Post Surgery Resting Pulse Rate

Post Surgery Resting Pulse Rate

I am one month post-surgery (MVR). I took a little (12.5mg) HCTZ and an aspirin prior to surgery. I am now on lisinopril and very low dose (12.5mg) Metroporol plus a baby aspirin once a day.

My resting pulse rate (sit quietly for 4 minutes before taking it) is in the 70's or low 80's. Prior to surgery it was 95.

I am really concerned about being on Metoprolol, because I would like to get back to triathlons (half and full ironmans) and concerned that it is going to affect my HR.

I am one month (to the day) after my surgery and my RHR is around 67 (it was 90 pre surgery, and 55 about a two month prior to surgery [before my aortic valve gave way]). I currently take 25mg 2x a day.

I am glad to hear that many people have weaned off their beta blockers. While I don't mind taking them as part of the recovery, I do have issue with being on them for a long time (I'm 31 and would like to control my HR and BP with exercise and diet first; if that fails, then we can discuss beta blockers).

UPDATE: Just got a call from the doctor and they are reducing me to 25mg a day! WOOHOO!!!! Makes me happy! :) It will be interesting to see the affect on my HR (yes, I am a total geek and monitor my HR for every walk and record my Max HR, Avg HR, and RHR for each walk; makes it nice to see the progress). Now I will denote the drug reduction and we will see what happens.........

I'm taking metoprolol.......I've made several dosage adjustments because of my sensitivity, and maybe fussiness...:)

9:00 am 25 mg
2:00 pm 12.5 mg
8:00 pm 12.5 mg
10:00 pm 6 mg

I know it should be 2 times daily, but that just does not work for me at all!

Latest posts

Back