Best way to purchase INRatio2 on my own dime?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaconne

Hi all. I'm planning to have AVR surgery this November and I'm going mechanical. My Insurance (Kaiser Permanente Southern California) does not appear to pay for home monitors at this point. Even so, I plan to get my own INR monitor for the purpose of keeping in better range, and being more independent in case of loss of insurance, emergence situations etc...

I like the features on the INRatio2 and plan to get one. This said, I wonder how I can get one as cheap as possible. I plan on setting up a medical expense account for starters. Some Web sites sell it cheaper, but only to doctors. Would a prescription from my cardio help? I've looked into dealers mentioned on INRatio's Web site but they do not give any prices outright. The best I've seen so far is $1200 on Amazon (it was less than $1000 at one point).

What is the lowest price I should realistically expect? Any advice on how to approach this would be great!

Thanks,
-Steve Rogstad

Do you have a car? Drive across the border to Canada, I believe they are around $500.

Canada is a fair drive from California.
I've purchased RXes in Mexico and gone across the border with them and also bought an RX ophthalmic powder in Toronto and flew back with it.
Those are very small potatoes compared to buying a medical device and going across the border with it. The only time I drove across the U.S.-Canadian border was at Sault Ste. Marie. My girlfriend, who was driving, forgot to declare a carton of cigarettes when we were leaving Canada and we got pulled over and grilled about it.
I later learned she had a concealed handgun :thumbd: in the trunk that she had also "forgotten" about.

Last edited:
Home monitor

Home monitor

Here in Ontario, you can get the Coaguchek XS through your doc and a pharmacy.
It would be shipped from Roche in Montreal to whichever pharmacy in your area that will provide the equipment and training.
First step is get a prescription for it.
Mine was $500.

It's good to see that you're planning on getting a meter. I have an InRatio (not an InRatio 2), and I really like it. The people at Hemosense, which originally made the meter (it was purchased by Alere) told me that the main difference between the InRatio and the InRatio 2 is that the InRatio 2 gives you results a bit faster than the InRatio, and the InRatio 2 uses icons instead of menus. This change was made so that it would be easier to sell the meters into International markets.

I've heard of some people thinking that the InRatio is actually easier to use than the InRatio 2 because there ARE menus instead of icons.

Although some people seem deathly afraid of buyng anything on eBay, all my meters have come from eBay vendors and all but two (which were clearly described as non-functional, and sold for nearly nothing) have worked fine. Getting an InRatio 2 or a CoaguChek XS from Canada for $500 is a good way to go - if you can get a friend or relative in Canada to somehow get it for you.

If not, I've had success on eBay and if you're patient, you may even be able to get an InRatio 2 for $500 or so. You may find an InRatio for somewhat less. (I paid about $75 for mine) One of the good things about InRatio is the tech support at Alere, and the fact that the strips work in either meter. You may even be able to get 48 strips on eBay for around $200.

The forum rules state that they won't promote purchasing from other than authorized vendors, so I'm just saying what I did -- your next step is up to you.

(I have an extra ProTime Classic and ProTime 3 that I may be willing to sell -- if you're interested, send me a private message)

Quite a drive. But they can be shipped, the only issue would be getting to a canadian doctor for a script. I ship all kinds of stuff back and forth with no issues as long as it is labeled a gift, and you use either USPS, Canada Post, or FEDEX. DO NOT use UPS, they are an expensive nightmare shipping across the border. USPS or Canada Post are the best.

Thanks for all the great info on meters. There certainly are a lot of good options for getting one cheaper. Sounds like ebay might be the way to go.

I've noticed on ebay, some of those selling need proof that I'm a patient, others don't mention it. Would a prescription from my cardio always be needed, or can I just buy one without?

eBay regulations seem to require that statement -- but in my experience, although they SAY that it's for professionals only (or something), they'll still sell it to you.

(I can't imagine somebody buying a meter they don't need, or somehow abusing the use of it for bad purposes.)

If you are really concerned, ask the seller.

Latest posts

Back