Benefits of Cardiac Rehab

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nancym

I'm 7 weeks post AVR and aorta replacement. I have started back to work, walk on the treadmill at home daily, and seem to be recovering well. My cardio did not think I needed cardiac rehab because he said it's for people who like to socialize or who are not self-motivators--neither of which is me. But I am having a lot of upper body pain (ribs, etc. but not painful enough that I need to take pain pills), and somebody mentioned that they can give me exercises at cardiac rehab that will make that improve. Does anybody know anything about that? I really don't have the time or desire to go, but if it's really going to work for the pain, I will. I look back at some useless time I have spent in the past at physical therapy for various ailments, and I have the feeling that this will be the same. Any information?

My cardio certainly would have sent me if I wished but after both my OHS, he did not feel I would get enough out of it to make it worth it for me. He sends most of his patients but said to me 'it is not for everyone'. I was highly motivated, was exercising properly for each stage of my recovery, understand and live a very heart healthy life style. I have no regrets I didn't go.

I have been going to cardio rehab for about 2 years now. I love it !!:)
They teach you alot more then just exercising, like yoga, healthy eating, keep your heart rate in limits to name a few. The nurses there answer any questions that I have and I feel safe there to work out and don't feel its a social thing. Even though I have met some wonderful people that understand what I've gone through because all of them or most of them have gone through OHS. Its all what you want to get out of it they motivate you there to heal and feel great again. I'm glad I go to rehab because it has help me to get my heart rate up when I exercise and feel safe doing it. I would recommend it to anyone that can go.

Yeah, motivation is the key here. If you feel that you have it without
a push,and you don't need alot of help or advice, you may do fine.
I didn't go, but in retrospect,probably would have benefitted:)

My cardio did not think I needed cardiac rehab because he said it's for people who like to socialize or who are not self-motivators--neither of which is me.

Even the best cards aren't perfect, and this is just stupid. It denigrates the nurses who provide cardiac rehab as if they were just talk show hostesses. The normal psychological reaction of a person to heart valve replacement is the desire to bounce back as quickly as possible. Cardiac rehab is not so much necessary to get someone going as to hold them back from overdoing it and causing themselves unneeded and unhelpful pain. I thoroughly enjoyed and benefited from the six weeks of rehab I had because the nurses guided me in what I could safely do and how much of it I could do. I would gladly have done ten times as much if they had advised it. I left rehab firmly convinced that any heart valve patient would benefit from it.

Do you know what your limits are?
Too much...not enough...
Cardio re-hab will teach you that plus much more.
Also, the quilified nursing staff will answer many last minute
questions that pop into your mind.

I recommend at least a month / 3 times a week.

I went to Cardiac Rehab and felt that I benefited from the experience. I had a LOT of tight / 'uncomfortable' Muscles in my Back, Shoulders, and Upper Arms. The 'Arm Cycle' machines really worked out that tightness and soreness. I also found it comforting that my HR and EKG were being monitored in those early days of taylored exercise.

Nancy, you may want to go visit a Cardiac Rehab facility just to see what they do and see if they have a Printed Handout of recommended Exercises that you could take home to practice and use. Be sure to do the Stretches Before and After exercising. That is one of the Key Elements to Rehab. Some Surgeons also privide sheets showing and describing recommended exercises.

'AL Capshaw'

My nurse has been pushing me into giving it a try. So far I have not been,but,now I am re- thinking it. I am not motivated and have a great fear of doing damage. Its been 4 months and I'm realizing I'm not so fragile.
Thanks for the info.

My rehab was preceded by a treadmill stress test and an interview in which I set fitness goals. The stress test set the baseline for heart rate, and activities were selected to meet my goals. (However, my cardio thought I would benefit most by waiting until after the sternum was completely healed at 3 months.) My sessions had a minimal social aspect because I had chosen a quiet time of day (early afternoon). As an experienced exerciser, you might be led into pushing yourself more and sooner than is good for your healing heart. You should certainly check the place out in advance to see if they will work with the way you expect.

cardiac rehab

cardiac rehab

I went and both enjoyed it and benefited from it. I think the "social" part helped a lot to be able to talk with others who shared the same experiences. It took away a lot of fears and helped with my progress.

Re: rehab

Re: rehab

I went and both enjoyed it and benefited from it. I think the "social" part helped a lot to be able to talk with others who shared the same experiences. It took away a lot of fears and helped with my progress.

My sentiment,exactly. My advice,go! You can always quit if you feel you are not getting any benefit. I bet you stay!

Thanks for all your advice. I talked to the cardiac rehab nurse today, and she said that I would need to come 3 times a week for 1 1/2 hours each. I can't see myself getting up at 6 AM to do this before work. I have full confidence that I will not push myself too little or too much at home and I don't need the nutritional guidance that the nurse said would be part of my rehab sessions. She really didn't say that it would help with my upper body pain--that's what I anm interested in. Did any of you have back and rib and shoulder and neck pain before you went, and did the rehab make it disappear?

She really didn't say that it would help with my upper body pain--that's what I anm interested in. Did any of you have back and rib and shoulder and neck pain before you went, and did the rehab make it disappear?

This is exactly what I was wondering too. I'm having a lot of shoulder pain at the moment and my chest/sternum feels quite "tight". I don't know whether it will take a little more time for things to loosen up (I'm only 3 weeks out, and really, if I'd broken an arm or leg I'd be in a cast for at least 6 weeks, so maybe I just need more time), but I wondered if they could give gentle exercises to help. At the moment I'm using a heat pack and trying to gently rotate my shoulders and twist/bend to help loosen up my back.

It would be nice to have some "proper" guidance though.

A : )

I had pain all over after surgery. Felt like I had been thrown up against the wall or hit the surgery table a few times.:D I think alot of people have pain from their head to their toes after surgery. I feel like everybody else that the benefit of rehab will help with more then you think. My rehab is open from 8am-5pm. so you can always try to go after work if thats a possiblity. I don't think you'll reget it. Just try it can't hurt!:cool:

Thanks for all your advice. I talked to the cardiac rehab nurse today, and she said that I would need to come 3 times a week for 1 1/2 hours each. I can't see myself getting up at 6 AM to do this before work. I have full confidence that I will not push myself too little or too much at home and I don't need the nutritional guidance that the nurse said would be part of my rehab sessions. She really didn't say that it would help with my upper body pain--that's what I anm interested in. Did any of you have back and rib and shoulder and neck pain before you went, and did the rehab make it disappear?

Hi Nancy,

If you do not have the time nor interested in going to rehab since you are active, I would suggest that you take a break from exercising until the pain goes down. When I started the rehab and arm bike, I had chest and shoulder pain and was scared thinking it was endocarditis...luckily it was all muscular pain due to the exercise. Just do not overdo it even if you feel up to it, and go slowly.

I go for rehab though I am a very active and motivated person. I have the time!! and glad to have gone, as it helped me identify pvcs when I speed up on the treadmill, which if I were home, I would not have noticed and have continued and am not sure how they would have affected my heart. So, I go at a pace that does not elevate the PVCs and increase it weekly.

Good luck.

Nancy:
I would like to encourage you to try cardiac rehab, but since you seem to be against it from the very beginning, may I suggest that you keep your options open.

My husband was dragged kicking and screaming to cardiac rehap by me. At first, he resisted tremendously. He actually spend one rehab period sitting on a bench reading a magazine. Some time later, he decided that the program was not for him. But, after trying for several periods, he decided to give it a try. (probably because of my nagging)

It was of great benefit. He was able to do things there that he might be worried to try at home. Being fit does not mean that rehab is not for you. It turned out that it was good for him. I saw differences after the first week.

THe cardiac rehab facilities may look like a gym, but the care, concern and safty that you experience in one of these facilities is certainly different and safer. And, it is esteem building to see other folks who have had similar experience succeeding and growing stronger.

Best wishes for what ever you choose to do.

Blanche

Nancy, I thought cardiac rehab was the best thing that ever happened. I loved it and they are so careful not to over work you. They have monitors on you while you are on the tread mill and if you get going too fast and your heart rate goes up to fast it sends out a message to them and they are over there in heartbeat. I loved my cardiac rehab. I went three times a week for about two hours. I looked forward to it and wished I could have continued longer. It's the same when you have knee replacement. If you don't do the rehab the knee will never bend the same again. It's hard and it hurts like heck but it's worth it in the end. Give it a try, you just might like it.

I have had three different kinds of physical therapy in past 5 years.

First, for spinal stenosis, when I was having terrible back pains. The PT helped tremendously.

Then, cardiac rehab, which I found helpful.

Finally, therapy before and after my knee surgery this September. Again, while producing no miracles, I found it beneficial.

Based on my experience, I would recommend it.

Latest posts

Back