Be carefull if you go to Costco!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Guys,
Just a word of caution. I am into my 6th week post op but yesterday was the first visit to Costco since the surgery. I was designated cart pusher and thought nothing of it until today when I have developed some nagging chest muscle pain :eek: from directing the cart through traffic! I guess you don't realise what muscles you are using to control the thing:rolleyes:. My advice - let the significant other do the driving:D!!
Cameron

Pusing, pulling, picking up, all things one has to be very careful with after OHS. Remember you've been "sawed open" & then glued back together again so you've got to give your sterum time to heal!

Hope your soreness goes away soon! :)

IMO - It takes a minimum of 12 weeks for your breast bone to heal anywhere near what would be considered *normal*. You don't want to heal abnormally or it may *click* the rest of your life...

My 2 cents,

How I remember that pain!!! I went grocery shopping the day I got out of the hospital. Boy did I regret that afterwards. No body told me not to push the cart!!!:eek: Hope your doing ok after that incident.

I had the same results from folding laundry. My doctor told me not to do any upper body exorcise for a while. Little did I know that folding 2 baskets of laundry was just that!

I went grocery shopping at 2 weeks and pushed the cart about a foot and said to my daughter " Oh I think you are pushing the cart." I just started driving and that gets me a bit achey.

I know a lot of people detest them, but I did use those motorized scooters in Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart and other stores for a while pre-op & post-op. Never could have made it through a store without one.

I know a lot of people detest them, but I did use those motorized scooters in Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart and other stores for a while pre-op & post-op. Never could have made it through a store without one.

Marsha, your one smart cookie.

Listen up everyone (ZIPPER ;)) this is an awesome idea. DO IT next time you all decide to go shopping after surgery.

Hi!
What's with Costco? Is it the store of choice for that first adventure out? Had to go get blood drawn on Tuesday and my husband reminded me he was out of Costco Gourmet Chocolate Chunk Cookies...which is probably the only reason he would think about entering a store. He did the lifting, pushing and all that stuff....I just walked with him, which is a workout in that size store. Counted the walk thru the store as one of my walks for the day. Anyway, just thought it funny that we are all so devoted to Costco!
Midge

Freddie:

After having used one of those scooters in stores, I am very understanding of shoppers using scooters.

If you see someone using one, you might offer to reach for items on top shelves if they are shopping without a companion. I could stand up, but it was still a pain in the you-know-what to go up and down, up and down to do even limited shopping.

Thanks for the "heads up". I am not ready for surgery yet. I would bet though, that the first thing that I would do when I got home is to go to Costco. There is something about that store...............;)

One of the things that I have do deal with is to learn to become a "princess" after my surgery. I am usually so independent that my husband takes it for granted that I can do just about anything. It is quite against my nature to play the "delicate little flower" bit, but I think that I will have to learn.

Braveheart, You sound like me and you too will learn fast :eek: You won't be a "delicate little flower", but you may have problems whipping down the cupboard and opening the fridge. Heck you may not even feel like doing anything, so enjoy the R & R (if you want to call it that) :)

Braveheart

I am the same here!!! My energy is down right now which is driving me crazy but I'm used to doing everything myself, it will be a big change for me and my husband :eek:

While getting dressed to leave the hospital post-op,I hurt my incision
from buttoning my jeans! Granted they were a little tight from water retention
but still, you wouldn't expect dressing to be a danger. I guess any pushing or pulling
can be a difficulty....you don't need to be bench pressing to get this effect.

Latest posts

Back