BAVD John is home now.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAVD John

My surgery was Tuesday, July 28. I had a few complications, bleeding, and ending up going back to the OR two times after my valve replacement. The extra time in OR put put my wife and family on an emotional roller coaster those first 24 hours.

Overally, my surgeon was happy with the result of my valve replacement. I'll admit that I am a bit sore. My chest does hurt when I cough, how long will this last?

I'm looking foward to my recovery and will work on scheduling rehab some time next week.

BAVD John
Northwestern Memorial, Chicago
Dr. Patrick McCarthy, surgeon
Carpentier-Edwards PERIMOUNT Magna Aortic Heart Valve 23mm

Most of us hit a bump or two, hopefully that is yours over with! Eat, sleep, walk and repeat until you feel well enough to do more, this takes a chunk out of you.

Your chest will hurt when you cough for quite some time yet - and even more when you sneeze!

Welcome to this side of the mountain!

Even though it hurts, be sure to do your deep breathing. It makes a big difference and is very important.

Sorry you had surgery problems but very happy that is behind you and you are on the mend.

Welcome Home!

John,
I thought the coughing was worse than the sneezing. Hopefully the coughing will lessen and the pain level will go down accordingly.
Glad you are back at home.

Hi John, I just got home yesterday too! My first advice that I learned was that painkillers are your friend. I'm one of those people that doesn't like to take painkillers unless it's a horrible pain, but I've learned now a couple times with AVR that it's much smarter to take the pain killers, get in your walks, rest fully, cough, etc than to go off the pain killers and try to "take it easy". Even with the painkillers though the coughing I think might be the worst of it all... I think I was relatively lucky that my lungs seem to be inflating rather quickly. I didn't get a good pre-op reading, but I'm up to 2000ml post op? Does anyone know if there is a scale for lung capacity over time post AVR?

Alex,

Thanks for the post and congrats on your return to home too. I too don't like taking the pain killers unless necessary. The first night home I took one before bed when I'm allowed two every 6 hours. That was a mistake as I didn't sleep very well that first night. Last night I took 2 pain killers before bed and that allowed me to get a pretty good night sleep. I've resisted taking them during the day. I had the opportunity to get outside and walk today. Didn't get a chance to do that yesterday due to rain, however, we are experiencing some of the warmest weather of the summer now in Chicago.
My family thinks I look a lot better today than yesterday. Let's hope they see that same improvement each day forward.

I'm finding that my body temp is constantly changing during the course of the day. Anyone else experience a change in body temp during the first few weeks of recovery?

Good luck to you Alex.

Latest posts

Back