BAV and statins

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tass

I noticed a previous post regarding statins and had a few questions. My doc (for the moment) had me do a 24 hr. heart monitor and new bloodwork. Today the nurse calls and just says the heart monitor results were 'within normal limits'. Now i've worked in the animal/livestock care field before and I know that just because something is w/in limits, does not always mean there is not a problem. She would not give me any more info...said specific numbers weren't available to the patient. Grrrrr.

The bloodwork shows:
Cholesterol, Total: 169
Triglycerides: 138
HDL Cholesterol: 33
LDL Cholesterol: 108

Even though the numbers are good (with the exception of the low good cholesterol), the doctor wants me on Simvastatin. All the reading i've done says this is prescribed for patients with stenosis. I've only been told of mild aortic regurgitation.

I'd rather not take meds unless I have to, so opinions? I'm still waiting to receive the echo report to take to another doc for a 2nd opinion.

Tass

Hi and welcome!

I was first diagnosed as "Marfan Syndrome" before an aneurysm was ever even found (in my early 20s). Then an aneurysm was found in my early 40s but, with lots of betablockers and a cutoff of all of my aerobic exercise, constant testing revealed my aneurysm stayed in the same size range (4.4 to 4.6 cm--going up and down depending on the test). But the aortic valve was finally shown to be bi-cuspid (thus putting me in the BAV diagnosis rather than the near-Marfan category in my mid-50s). As predicted, the AV got worse and worse as I aged and I had to have my first surgery at age 60.

Many of my mother's family died of blocked artery diseases and my cholesterol climbed as I aged. My Internist put me on a bit of a statin (lovastatin). I am a vegetarian, by the way, so was not so worried about my cholesteral, but I HAD heard that statins may help stave off Alzheimers, which my mother died from, so I did not fight getting on statins.

My statin normalized my cholesteral readings. When I had my pre-OHS cardiac catheterization my cariac arteries were found to be totally clear. Whether that was due to my vegetarianism or statins or something else, I do not know.

Yes my BAV got worse in the period I started taking statins, but like the connections between incidence of ice cream consumption and incidence of rape, the connection, I believe, is a false one.
;););)

Tass,

By LAW, you can get copies of ALL of your medical records.
You will have to sign a "release of information" (to yourself) and they may charge you for copies.

For patients with known Coronary Artery Disease, Cardiologists like to get their LDL down under 70,
and even healthy patients are often advised to keep LDL under 100. That may be why your Cardio wants to put you on a statin, especially since your "Good Cholesterol" HDL is on the Low Side.

Another option that you may want to discuss with your Cardio is to go on Zetia which works on cholesteral in the digestive tract and has fewer Side Effects. This may be a good option since you don't need to reduce your LDL by very much to be within guidelines. Unfortunately, Zetia is not available in Generic Form so it would help if you have Prescription Drug Insurance to help allay the costs.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks.

This cardio is not much into communication. I purchased a heart monitor from Target last night and it confirmed what I had been feeling (and expressed to the dr.). My heart feels like it is racing just walking across the room. The monitor showed it going from mid 80's to 140 by just tossing the frisbee for the dog in the yard. I'm sure it's not nearly as accurate as the medical ones, but now I don't feel like it's all in my head.

I'll give the statins a shot...hoping to find a new doctor soon and get another opinion.

Tass

Green tea? You find it everywhere these days. A friend who has had two OHS developed a racing heart. It turned out to be due to drinking Green Tea products. (Green tea also messes up your PT/INR readings.)

I try to limit myself to 1 or 2 cokes per day max...that's the only stimulant I can think of. Last night I was helping out at an agility trial, setting the jump bars between runs and then sitting and it would race after the short walk to the jumps (also consuming lots of water!). I will try to eliminate all caffiene over time but tend to get headaches going cold turkey.

T.

My cardio put me on Crestor eventhough my cholesterol is good and said it helps aortic stenosis. I was trying to find data that should it actually helped slow the calcification down but couldn't find any. The cardio said studies have showed.....I should ask him what studies next week. I have been taking it but it makes me kinda lethargic the next morning and gives me a bit of a headache. I am prone to migraines so maybe this particular one may not be good for me. I suppose I should talk to him about the headaches too. Sometimes I just getting tired of dealing with every little issue and feel like I am just complaining and should learn to deal.

I guess we just keep plugging along.

Lori

Even though the numbers are good (with the exception of the low good cholesterol), the doctor wants me on Simvastatin. All the reading i've done says this is prescribed for patients with stenosis. I've only been told of mild aortic regurgitation.

I'd rather not take meds unless I have to, so opinions? I'm still waiting to receive the echo report to take to another doc for a 2nd opinion.

Tass

I hesitate to give an opinion, but I will give my experience. Aortic Stenosis was the reason my valve was replaced. I went 37 years, after the surgery, with no problem before my docs could persuade me to go on Statins. I've tried five different Statins. One was recalled and taken off the market, three didn't do the job, and the last one (Simvastatin) did OK, but caused muscle cramping and lethargy. Recently, with my PCPs knowledge, I have stopped that drug. Good or bad, I doubt that I will go back on any Statin.

I know, based on my history, that my cholesterol will again exceed (a little) what the charts consider "in range", without the medication, but that is a risk I am willing to accept.

If you need a statin for cholesterol, that is one thing, and you can have cholesterol or atherosclerosis problems at the same time as you have valve problems. For cholesterol-related issues, statins are the current treatment option of choice.

However, valve calcification is an entirely different process. Several large studies have been done (three are completed - all partly funded by statin manufacturers), including the SEAS trials.

Conclusion, in all cases:

No statin reduces or slows the stenosis or calcification process of any valve. Period.

It is pointless and possibly deleterious to take any of the statins strictly for for that purpose.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back