Back to Work :(

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi Girl

Back to work tomorrow :( was getting used to being paid for sitting at home, pity the mortgage doesnt pay itself

Has anybody else had the realisation in their recovery that the job they were doing wasnt what they want to do for the rest of their life? The booklet I was sent home with says to put off any life changing decisions for a while after recovery though so not sure if I actually want to change professions or if its just my mind still recovering from surgery

I would not make any life changing decisions right now, just hang in awhile and if you still feel the same in a month, then maybe get a resume out. When you have a life changing event you look at things a different way....for me it was not sweating the small stuff. I now have a different attitude at work...sort of an I don't care, I faced death ...out of my face attitude, which works well for me in my position. I also take more time to notice people around me and to be more concerned....In my fast paced NYC job, there was no time for breathing. I also joined the "Go Red for Women" movement to advocate heart disease. So, just hang on a bit and you will find your place, wherever that may be.....
Wishing you lot's of happiness and luck!

Kiwi, you are definately not alone. I think many types of life changing experiences cause us to reexamine our lives and heart surgery can certainly be one of them. Since my surgery, my business partner and I have been talking about how we feel about our work what new directions we would like to go in the futrue. Perhaps it is wise not to make dramatic changes until some time has past but we can certainly begin thinking about using the life we have.

Larry

Going back to work :(

Going back to work :(

I will be going back to work in 4 weeks, and I am dreading it. I am a supervisor for a facility maintenance crew and my company was so kind as to give me a written warning for poor management 3 days before my surgery. I had asked them in an E-mail the day before if they were trying to get me to quit by the way they were treating me and my crew in the days before my surgery. I have been there for 9 years with no problems.
It is as if we all are not under enough stess, pre or post op. So, speaking for myself, I have been sending out resumes and contacting my companys competition so as to let them know that I will be available for employment the middle of Feb. But as the old saying goes. " Don't quit a job until you have a new one", so I will go back and smile and play the game.

Mac
AVR Single by-pass 11/19/09
Carbomedics mechanical
Dr. Suri
Mayo Clinic

Back to work tomorrow :( was getting used to being paid for sitting at home, pity the mortgage doesnt pay itself

Has anybody else had the realisation in their recovery that the job they were doing wasnt what they want to do for the rest of their life? The booklet I was sent home with says to put off any life changing decisions for a while after recovery though so not sure if I actually want to change professions or if its just my mind still recovering from surgery

Heck, the one good thing about having surgery will be to get away from work for awhile. :D I'm looking for a new job in the meantime, but feel bad knowing I'll have an extended absence in the first year if I get hired.

As it stands now, I won't get paid for the time off (small company barely staying in business) but thankfully my husband will keep a roof over our heads while I recover.

Oh I kicked my Accounting job to the curb, and fast. I went in with a new attitude doing books for three companies for many years and thought! No I will not subject myself to this stress with all the deadlines and jumping hoops plus all the end of the month hoop la! Plus they acted like they wanted to get me out of there because I had just run there insurance up (not the people I worked with) the company itself! It had been sold and under new management! I had a good sick leave, and short and long term disability and took 18 mnths of it. Thank Goodness my husband does ok for all of us. Life is much to short to risk your health, one thing about this type surgery it put my life in a different mode of what were the important things in this life time!!!! Everyone in accounting ended up getting laid off anyway about a year later! So I thank God! I walk the dogs at the near by shelter for excersise! Good for my soul and good for them!

Thanks for the advice everyone, the morning was horrible but the afternoon not too bad. After reading some people's posts I should be grateful that my bosses have been so understanding in giving me paid time off otherwise we would have paid our mortgage on my husbands wages and thats about it. Guess I will reassess in a few months time. I'm an accountant too terodac

My wife is an accountant also. I hear about it every night, enough stress without having heart surgery. Nice though, because I don't bother her with my problems at work after I hear hers.
Good luck, enjoy the weather, go for a swim.

Mac, on the sunny shores of frozen Lake Superior

Changes

Changes

For many, OHS does result in changes in perspective. I only took five days off work to have my AVR surgery so I really never had time to reflect on my job or career.

As a school administrator in in a small, rural high school, I really enjoy the majority of the aspects that accompany my work. Still, with Colorado's state budget in the toilet and significant impending budget cuts, I've decided that it's time to look for a new school or take early retirement. I've assembled a great team of effective teachers and I don't want to be the one who has to let some of them go due to budget cuts.

My wife and I decided to take our chances and I recently notified my board that I will not be returning next year. I'm not sure I'd ever recommend that anyone quit his/her job without having a new one lined-up. The uncertainty factor definately creates some stress. The last thing anyone needs after OHS is more stress.

-Philip

We made a major change after my AVR last March, we moved from the Chicago area to a small town in NW Iowa. I left a very lucrative job and we moved here with no jobs. We have been blessed with jobs since we moved here, we live in a house on a lake (picture of my back yard on my avatar), and we really enjoy living in a rural town. We had full faith in the Lord that all this would work out, and it did. This have been a very nice change in our lives!

I think it is quite normal to reassess your life after going through something major like this. If you don't, you're really missing out on an opportunity to do so. For my wife and I, we decided it was time to finally start a family and now she's due in a few weeks. As a matter of fact, as I sit here right now typing this we are in the hospital as she almost went into premature labor today.

So, yes, it is quite normal to have thoughts like this. I suppose they matter most if you actually act on them and do something about it.

Latest posts

Back