Back surfing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Chris

Hi all,

Today marks the 11 weeks since surgery and I must admit I am getting a little impatient to get back into activities such as surfing and swimming. I have been going to cardiac rehab now once a week for the last 5 weeks until it stopped for the Christmas break. Rehab has been really good for getting back to levels of activity that I would have hesitated to achieve on my own. For the last week I have been going to the gym doing things like rowing, bike, light weights etc.

While on the Christmas break I decided to join my kid?s sand tobogganing, and managed to do that with minimal discomfort. That was a great thrill :eek: on some large sand hills. With that under my belt I have been itching to see how I would go at surfing again. To be on the safe side I took my son with me who has just qualified as a Surf Lifesaver to give me a tow if I got into difficulty as I haven?t done a stroke of swimming for probably 4 months now.

Lying on the board sure felt different to before with a bit of discomfort but that was far outweighed by the thrill of catching my first wave in over 4 months. YYAAHOOOO! :) :) :) With 2 rides under my belt I thought I should call it quits and just check that I haven?t strained anything.

Two days later I decided to try again. The mistake I made this time was that the swell had increased, and so had my confidence. I was now paddling for the wave with a lot more effort and this time I came away with a chest strain. I will now have to rest up until the strain goes away and next time, take it a little more gently. Oh well. As long as we learn from our mistakes:rolleyes:

I would be interested to hear from other surfers and their experiences(mistakes) in getting back on the waves.

Cheers,
Chris:)

It is still early since your surgery for your chest to take such a pounding when paddling out in such large swells. I know exactly what you are talking about....the second summer after surgery was much better.

I've never been on a surf board so I can't help there but congratulations on getting out there. I think that once we find something we like to do and can't do it for a while, we just itch to get back there. Once were back there then we inherently want to be just as good as we were before. I found that isn't going to happen easily and I think that you're finding out the same thing. You'll do better with each time out. Good luck.

Good stuff Chris!!
It must have felt great. Your post and all the other success stories in Active Lifestyles are inspirational.
Philip

Latest posts

Back