Back on the merry-go-round, or just caffeine?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

Protimenow

Yes. A roller coaster. I commented on this a few posts back.

I'm still a bit skeptical about the 1 liter limit -- I have no edema, my MD said nothing about limiting fluid intake, and only the PA insisted on this.

gerrychuck

Yes. A roller coaster. I commented on this a few posts back.

I'm still a bit skeptical about the 1 liter limit -- I have no edema, my MD said nothing about limiting fluid intake, and only the PA insisted on this.
I'm a little puzzled by the reaction to your EF; falling below 40 only just gets you into the "moderate" dysfunction zone, and all the internists and cardiologists that I've seen, including the heart function clinic that follows me now, only start bringing up the sudden death spectre with EF's below 30. My brother has an EF of 40 and rides 100 miles/wk on his road bike, or hits at least 2 high intensity spin classes every week, all at age 67. Obviously, getting your numbers higher is desirable and it sounds like you are working in the right direction. If you are using meds off label I assume you're already on the holy trinity of beta blocker, ace inhibitor and spironolactone to improve EF (I haven't reviewed the whole thread, sorry!) If not, I would certainly be asking, as that is the standard first line therapy. Likewise, restricting fluid intake to that extent seems much more in keeping with the severe range of dysfunction/failure than barely into moderate unless your BP is really high.

Several things about what you're being told that are head scratchers based on my own experience (which, of course, is individual to me and may not accurately reflect your situation).

Protimenow

I got this '1 liter' thing from a Physician Assistant. I've discounted what she told me, and I'm drinking water when I'm thirsty.

I have no edema in my legs. My cardiologist made no mention of fluid restrictions.

I'm taking Farxiga - it's actually not off label - the site shows that one of the indications is use for raising ejection fraction. I've only been taking it for a few weeks. I think it's helping. Another echo in a month or so will possibly provide better results than those in my last echo.

I also take Verapamil and Atenolol (and have been for quite a while).