Back home after successful robotic mitral valve repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashish20000

Country of origin India, live in United states.
Hi All
I had my successful robotic assisted mitral valve repair performed in Cleveland Clinic by Dr. Tomislav Mihaljevic on Wednesday 10th March. I was put in ICU for less than 24 hours and 2 days in step-down room. I left the hospital on Saturday morning and was admitted on Wednesday morning.
I have been resting in Cleveland at my sister's place and have follow-up appointment on coming Wednesday.
The surgeon had anticipated that there was a congenital cleft on my anterior leaflet but after getting in he found it to be long-healed endiocarditis infection on posterior leaflet. I have been told that the repair should last me a life-time and all I have to do it eat heart-healthy and avoid future infection.
My surgery was about 4 hours long and I regained consciousness in a couple of hours. The breathing tube was not such a pain that I was thinking. I was really worried about Pumphead syndrome and started testing my memory as soon as I could but glad to tell that I remember everything. One of the pain meds was making me nauseated in ICU and they were planning to put a tube through my nose to drain my stomach but someone had this great idea to try to change the med and it took nausea away completely. The most pain I had was in my right shoulder blade in ICU but I would still not rate it more than 6.
The chest-tube was another thing that I had heard would hurt like hell but surprisingly it did not hurt at all. In robotic surgery they put only one tube in the chest at the sight of incision and it was taken out less than 18 hours after surgery. Constipation was there for first 2 days and I could hear the bowels moving but without any results, finally Saturday morning the river broke the bounds and it was great relief.
The folly catheter did not hurt and it was a great convenience. While taking out it feels like a weird sensation but it was over even before I knew on Thursday.
I wore the monitor the whole time I was in hospital and I think my heart rate remained close to a 100 all this time. I am taking some beta-blockers to keep that under check and to avoid falling in A-Fib.
I have stopped taking narcotic pain medication (Vicodin, Perkasets) since yesterday and managing on 3times X200 mg Ibuprofen and one 300 mg Tylenol at night. There is incision sight soreness in the groin and also at the right side chest. There is about 5 sq inch area in my right thigh which feels little numb to touch but I have been told that it will come back.

At this time all I am doing is resting and being taken care of by my wife, mom, sis, Brother in law, 2 nieces and one nephew, I did not know that people loved me so much. Friends and other relatives have showered their love and care endlessly. Everyone is so eager to do anything to make me comfortable. I have been moving around inside the house and taking shower everyday. Able to go to the bathroom myself and need help only while taking shower. Get tired easily even in talking on phone. My 5 year old niece keeps track of my breathing exercise and keeps counting that how many times I did it. While sleeping I feel that if my left side is down then my heart beats stronger so I am trying to avoid that. Sleeping is a little bit of a challenge because I sweat profusely at night and wake up couple of times.

Felt like posting this detailed messaged because I received great information from here and Adam's blog. I knew about most of the stuff that was going to happen so felt really comfortable in preparing for the surgery. Can't appreciate Cleveland Clinic and Dr. Mihaljevic enough. Every person you meet in CC is greatly dedicated to his or her job and we had the best care that we could imagine. Coming to CC from Indiana was a great decision and I am happy that I made that choice.

Thanks and take care. Please let me know if I can answer some of your questions or if you can offer me some tips. Thanks.
Ash

Last edited:
Congratulations! One small thing I would like to mention. You mentioned taking baths. I was told to take showers, not baths, while the would is healing.

You sound fabulous, Ash. So happy to hear your surgery went so well and thus far, you are having a wonderful recovery.
Remember to not rush yourself into over doing it.

Thanks for sharing your excellent post with us.

(BTW.... I was advised both my surgeries to shower, not take bath until wounds were healed.)

Wow, great news! As others have said, do not push yourself too much, your body has just had a major stressor it needs time to deal with.

What an upbeat report! I'm so happy for you! And, yes, savor all the love being showered on you--I'm sure you deserve it. :)

~Randy

Night sweats are pretty common after Heart Surgery. I had a couple of nights in the hospital where I was totally drenched. They even had to come in and change the bed linen. Sleeping will get easier as the days pass, but do enjoy those afternoon naps! Welcome to the other side and keep posting your progress!!:cool:

Bob

Glad everything went well Ash. I was looking to see if you had a date set after we spoke and here you are all fixed! From what I read we had very similar experiences. Good luck on the recovery.

Steve

Hey Ash:

I had my surgery on the same day as you in Cleveland! We are practically twins!!! Just I have a bigger scar because I needed aortic valve replacment so I had the mini sternotomy by Dr. Roselli.

Glad to hear you are doing well too. Pace yourself and keep making those small steps forward.

Happy trails,

Brian

Hey Ash:

I had my surgery on the same day as you in Cleveland! We are practically twins!!! Just I have a bigger scar because I needed aortic valve replacment so I had the mini sternotomy by Dr. Roselli.

Glad to hear you are doing well too. Pace yourself and keep making those small steps forward.

Happy trails,

Brian

Wow! I don't even know anyone having some birthdate as mine and here you are having same re-birthdate. So we were lying in ORs in the same hospital at the same time.. Can't think of any bigger co-incidence.. I was in J-5 Room No11 post-op. How is your recovery going on?

Wow! I don't even know anyone having some birthdate as mine and here you are having same re-birthdate. So we were lying in ORs in the same hospital at the same time.. Can't think of any bigger co-incidence.. I was in J-5 Room No11 post-op. How is your recovery going on?

Yep, we probably saw each other in the halls of the OR while we were waiting to go in. I was in J-6 Room 11 from Friday to Sunday. So your last day or so I was directly above you! If we would have only known.

My recovery is going well also. No where near time to go back to work yet, but generally doing well.

Keep up the good work and enjoy life!

Latest posts

Back