Back from the cath lab. . .

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
Well, I just got home from the cath lab, after a left heart cath in preparation for my upcoming pacemaker lead extraction and device/lead replacement. I went there this morning with the orders and prep worksheet for a cath via right radial artery (right wrist). I had verified several times verbally that this was the method now used almost exclusively and that it would be fine for me. It is a good thing I keep asking my questions until I get the answer I expect. . .

You see, I did quite a lot of reading regarding the radial artery cath method and found that in most cases where the patient has had a bypass graft that uses the left internal mammary artery, the radial artery entry route is compromised by the graft and cannot be used. I kept asking how they were planning to do mine until I found someone who had actually looked at my charts, case notes, and had listened to me. The first two docs I asked today said "No problem. The radial artery is fine and will be less invasive to you."

Then we got to the (more experienced) doc who was to actually do the procedure. When I asked her about my bypass graft, she said "I'm really glad you asked about that. I won't be able to use the radial artery as the bypass graft just makes the path to the heart too risky. We will have to use the femoral artery instead." I was upset - but only for a moment. I quickly realized that this doc and I had saved me having the entry wound made in my wrist and then having a second wound made in my groin.

I then had a frank chat with the doc (and any team members who would listen) describing the problems that occurred during my first cath, prior to valve surgery. I hit the jackpot with this doctor. She listened to my fears and addressed each of them in turn. She gave me her word that the issues of the first cath would not happen with her team. I said "I trust you, doctor. Do what needs to be done - I just don't want to watch it or feel it." Again, she promised.

Fast forward about 90 minutes, and I was being awakened in the cath lab. My doctor was telling me that they were all finished, and that everything looks as good now as it did 5 1/2 years ago. No issues, no blockages, good to go. This time, the cath was truly a non-issue. I didn't even feel them injecting the topical anesthetic around the entry site. They used the collagen ring closure, with a single dissolvable stitch to keep things tight, so I only had to stay in bed for about 2 hours afterward, with none of those old sandbag weights on the entry site like they did years ago. What a difference. A great result, quickly done, no pain, no complications, and I was eating a turkey sandwich before they sent me home. I have only minimal activity restrictions for the next few days, and the only discomfort I feel now is the pulling of the tape holding the surgical gauze over the entry site - and that comes off tomorrow.

So - I have one more blood draw on Monday, then I'm scheduled to arrive at Northwestern Memorial on Wednesday late morning, with a plan to get the work done and send me home Thursday, probably in the afternoon. I'm so ready to just do this. . .

Hi

well ... this just serves to illustrate my views of 'do not be a patient, because a patient becomes a victim of error" ... FFS

epstns;n866176 said:
... I had verified several times verbally that this was the method now used almost exclusively and that it would be fine for me. It is a good thing I keep asking my questions until I get the answer I expect. . . You see, I did quite a lot of reading regarding the radial artery cath method and found that in most cases where the patient has had a bypass graft that uses the left internal mammary artery, the radial artery entry route is compromised by the graft and cannot be used. I kept asking how they were planning to do mine until I found someone who had actually looked at my charts, case notes, and had listened to me. The first two docs I asked today said "No problem. The radial artery is fine and will be less invasive to you." Then we got to the (more experienced) doc who was to actually do the procedure. When I asked her about my bypass graft, she said "I'm really glad you asked about that. I won't be able to use the radial artery as the bypass graft just makes the path to the heart too risky. We will have to use the femoral artery instead." I was upset - but only for a moment. I quickly realized that this doc and I had saved me having the entry wound made in my wrist and then having a second wound made in my groin.

I'm sure you felt tlike this about those other clowns:

5p4arc.jpg

... A great result, quickly done, no pain, no complications, and I was eating a turkey sandwich before they sent me home. I have only minimal activity restrictions for the next few days, and the only discomfort I feel now is the pulling of the tape holding the surgical gauze over the entry site - and that comes off tomorrow.

excellent to hear that after you took the reins (well you never relinquished them) you got what you needed.

Fantastic!!

let this please be a lesson to the others who just "nod and take what they get" ... please!

Glad to hear it went well. Sometimes it pays to be persistent. I actually enjoyed watching them perform the cath except for a couple of "bumps" during the procedure.

Very pleased that things went well for you Steve ! And that you kept on at them about your previous cath. What I find shocking is that if you hadn't come across this good doctor they would have gone in the radial artery and then had to start all over again when they came across the stent. They obviously didn't read your notes. This is so shocking, but in some ways unsurprising. When patients go on about their previous issues or problems many doctors simply don't listen as they have their own ideas, despite the patient's notes - thank goodness for the few doctors who take notice.

Glad it went well. I had it done from my right wrist in November. There was an inflated bracelet/tourniquet over the site to stop the bleeding. I felt like my wrist had been slammed in a car for several days. I had an ice pack on it for a couple of days. The pain was caused by the bracelet.

Great story Steve, I always enjoy reading your posts, as the details make me feel as though I am in the room with you. I know you are ready to get this behind you, and it sounds like you have a great team. Best wishes

Good to hear you finally caught a break with this situation. Glad you continued to speak up and that you had a competent doctor who listened. Thanks for the post.

Back