Babies

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiewintle

Hi all

Went to Birmingham Women's Hospital the other day to have a discussion about pregnancy and the ins and outs of it as I have a mechanical right mirtal valve. Appointment was meant to be at 1.30pm but didnt get seen until 3.45pm. Saw Dr Sara Thorne there along with Dr Peter Thompson

They have said I will need to take folic acid 3 months before I become pregnant and for 3 months after. I knew folic acid prevents spina bifida but it also helps prevent childhood heart defects. Regarding my warfarin, the preffered option is that I stay on heparin all throughout my pregnancy. The other option is that I go on heparin for 3 months then transfer to warafrin then back on heparin for the final stages of pregnancy. The heparin is given by injection which I will have to have twice a day. My pregnancy would be managed at Birmingham Women's Hospital as there is a cardiac clinic there once a month. If the pregnancy is a smooth ride I will have to go for a checkup once a month, if its a rocky ride more than once a month. They said being as I am stable with my warfarin the risks to me are lower. If I loose weight the risks are lower still. So overall a good meeting.

Love Katie

Hi Katie, I am in a very similar situation as you and I've been waiting for a post like this. I have been taking prenatal vitamins in hopes to conceive. I have been on warfarin for 25 years and through my teens, the docs said no babies for me. Times have changed and more studies have been done and my cardiologist is saying, "it won't hurt to try". When he said that 6 years ago, I was floored. Now, I've been to see high risk OB and they are very confident that a pregnancy is very do-able for me. I conceived last month for the first time ever and had a miscarriage the day after I found out I was pregnant.
I have an aortic valve replacement and my OB is planning on putting me on lovonox from about 4 weeks until the end of my first trimester. Then at 20 weeks, I will have a fetal-cardiac ultrasound to see if there are heart defects. I will probably opt into lovonox shots for my third trimester so I can lower my chances of birth defects and warfarin syndrome. It all depends on how well my INR is regulated through the whole process. I wish you the best and I hope to read more posts about people who have gone through a pregnancy after having a valve replaced.

~Leigh

Katie & Leigh,
If you want some additional 'real-life' info, you should search the forum for pregnancy and warfarin. Just make sure you are aware of all the info out there... and don't be afraid to challenge your doctors. Good luck to both of you.

Hi Leigh,
Iknow you posted this over a year ago but justwondering if you ended up conceiving and if so how it went? I had my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve in may and my husband and I had already been trying to start a family before my unexpected surgery. I am trying to find women in my position and what their experiences were. Thanks!
Katie

Latest posts

Back