Babies

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiewintle

Hi all

Went to Birmingham Women's Hospital the other day to have a discussion about pregnancy and the ins and outs of it as I have a mechanical right mirtal valve. Appointment was meant to be at 1.30pm but didnt get seen until 3.45pm. Saw Dr Sara Thorne there along with Dr Peter Thompson

They have said I will need to take folic acid 3 months before I become pregnant and for 3 months after. I knew folic acid prevents spina bifida but it also helps prevent childhood heart defects. Regarding my warfarin, the preffered option is that I stay on heparin all throughout my pregnancy. The other option is that I go on heparin for 3 months then transfer to warafrin then back on heparin for the final stages of pregnancy. The heparin is given by injection which I will have to have twice a day. My pregnancy would be managed at Birmingham Women's Hospital as there is a cardiac clinic there once a month. If the pregnancy is a smooth ride I will have to go for a checkup once a month, if its a rocky ride more than once a month. They said being as I am stable with my warfarin the risks to me are lower. If I loose weight the risks are lower still. So overall a good meeting.

Love Katie

I am very interested in this subject! I have received a tissue valve and do already have 2 children but may not be able to have more even though I did get a tissue valve. Congratulations on the green light to have babies :) Please give us updates!

Latest posts

Back