Awake On The Vent For 17 Hours (Photo)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeptic49

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Philadelphia, PA and Cherry Grove, Fire Is. NY
I had surgery on Feb. 16. It was a seven hour procedure lasting from 9 AM to 4 PM.. i woke up for the first time at 2 AM on Feb. 17. In addition to the vent, my arms were restricted. I would spend the next 17 hours lying on my back connected to the vent while awake. The reason for this was that I had an aortic balloon pump installed through my femoral artery up into my descending aorta. This pump augments the pumping action of the heart. I don't remember reading about anyone else having had this sort of thing. Luckily, I tolerated the whole experience pretty well. I have to chuckle when i read about people fearing waking up with the vent tube in. I must be the king in that division. This photo was taken at 2:30 in the afternoon on February 17.

ohs026.jpg

all hail the king

(but to be honest I'd rather not compete)

I agree with your comment
I have to chuckle when i read about people fearing waking up with the vent tube in

all these things can be tolerated with a little strength and willpower. To me that's what distinguishes us from animals (some people think its personality, but I've had dogs and cats with heaps of personality)

I'm sure it wasn't comfortable, but like everything if you don't fight it and just allow it it goes easier.

Best Wishes and thinking of you.

Were you able to sleep Jim ?

I have a photo of me on the vent (not posted it ever) but I waa asleep and actually looked peaceful. I feared waking with the vent but it must have been okay because I don't remember it at all !

Yep, 17 hours awake + vent = king. I agree with Pellicle - I don't want to compete. It must have been pure willpower that kept you flat for 17 hours with that tube in....well, maybe the drugs helped, hmm? I hope things are going well now that you're home.

Last edited:
It wasn't willpower that kept him flat for all that time. It was drugs and straps! Sounds like the kind of story that the censor-software might block, though. . .

Sorry you had that much excitement, skeptic. Hope you're soon back on track and can start serious recovery.

Back