AVR surgery 1/22/08/ yearly checkup

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I had AVR one year ago tomorrow 1/22/09. I had my cardio appointment on Monday the 19th. Thanks to those of you that asked how my check up went and here's the update.

Both my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were up and my weight was up about 7 lbs from a year ago. I got a reprieve :D since it was the holidays but he wants me to work on those levels as well as getting those pounds off. I also need to exercise more.:p

I was on statins at one time and had a lot of leg pain. I am to take cholesterol success and fish oil I don't tolerate the fish oil too well but I'll try.
If those levels don't come down I know I'll be put on statins next time.

I didn't get an echo this time but since I'm feeling well everything seems to be OK. I don't have to go back for six months unless I have problems and I'll need an echo and blood work prior to that.

Many thanks to all of you here. You've kept me sane or as sane as one can be.;) I truly appreciate this site and all of you on it.

All comments and/or suggestions are welcome.:eek:

Earline

Earline,

Congratulations on the first year valvesary. Sorry about the cholesterol. Mine went up and I am put on Simvastatin. I tried Red Yeast Rice, fish oil, and non-flush niacin, and unfortunately they did not work for me even though I know many people who swear their cholesterol dropped using them.

So, good luck. One time I was able to lower it with exercise as my diet has been and is always healthy, and I am hoping the better I feel the more I shall exercise and may beat it again :)

Hi Earline - yep, the holidays are a bugger for attracting that extra weight :D

Meanwhile, perhaps you could try Flaxseed oil instead of fish oil? It contains the same omega-3s as fish oil but doesn't have the same nasty after-taste. Also, being plant-based it may be better tolerated by your system.

Glad to hear you're feeling well!

A : )

Hi, Earline!
I'm glad to read that you had a good annual check up, and I hope every year will bring the same.:)
I have no advice about your cholesterol levels since I haven't had to deal with that issue, but I can relate to losing weight! I think my best suggestion would be for both of us to see if we can't talk Cindy into being our personal trainer!;) Let's run that by Wise!:p

Hey Earline, isn't it great? I'm glad to see you're doing so well. You were a week ahead of me.

About the cholesterol, my cardiologist recommended this book: 50 Ways to Lower Cholesterol by Mary P. McGowan, which I found in my local library. I was already doing most of the stuff, so can't make any personal claims. Also, have you seen the Sparkpeople forums on fitness, weight loss, health conditions? Lots of information.

Hi Earline - yep, the holidays are a bugger for attracting that extra weight :D

Meanwhile, perhaps you could try Flaxseed oil instead of fish oil? It contains the same omega-3s as fish oil but doesn't have the same nasty after-taste. Also, being plant-based it may be better tolerated by your system.

Glad to hear you're feeling well!

Flaxseed oil comes in a capusle or tablet? I've heard of it but an not familiar with it. Where do I get it. I may give it a try instead of the fish oil. Thanks
Earline

Hi, Earline!
I'm glad to read that you had a good annual check up, and I hope every year will bring the same.:)
I have no advice about your cholesterol levels since I haven't had to deal with that issue, but I can relate to losing weight! I think my best suggestion would be for both of us to see if we can't talk Cindy into being our personal trainer!;) Let's run that by Wise!:p

If Cindy is willing to take us on I'm game.:D

Hey Earline, isn't it great? I'm glad to see you're doing so well. You were a week ahead of me.

About the cholesterol, my cardiologist recommended this book: 50 Ways to Lower Cholesterol by Mary P. McGowan, which I found in my local library. I was already doing most of the stuff, so can't make any personal claims. Also, have you seen the Sparkpeople forums on fitness, weight loss, health conditions? Lots of information.

As luck would have it:( The library has two books written by her but not this one. I may order one from Barnes & Noble
Thanks Earline

Thanks for all of your comments/suggestions they are very much appreciated.

Cooker: my cardio could stand to gain seven pounds. He practices what he preaches:p
Earline

There is a new prescription drug that is Natural. Fish oil. Can't think of the name of it, but I just saw the ad for it a day or two ago. I'd do that before statins if possible.

Hey Earline... the flaxseed oil I get comes in capsules (looks just like the fish oil ones) and I've been able to get it from either the chemist or health food shops - just like the fish oil. The brand I have is Nature's Own - not sure if you have it over there or not, but I'm sure there'll be something similar.

Not quite sure how I factor in as helping keep you sane. Explain? :D

Found it, new it had something to do with loveme.

http://www.lovaza.com/

Nothing cheap about this one:

Lovaza - 1gm Capsules
Quantity Our Price
120 capsules $162.36 - save 10% ($18.01)
360 capsules $462.82 - save 14% ($78.30)
100 capsules $135.30 - save 10% ($15.01)
480 capsules $617.09 - save 14% ($104.40)
600 capsules $771.36 - save 14% ($130.51)
720 capsules $925.63 - save 14% ($156.61)

more from me...

more from me...

I promise to pipe down--must have been the extra coffee.

An article about plant sterols to reduce cholesterol:
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1180

A risk calculator from NIH:
http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/atpiii/calculator.asp?usertype=prof

And I forgot to mention that my card's book is already predisposed to statin treatment. Another book that seemed to have good up-to-date information was Controlling cholesterol for dummies 2nd ed. by Rinzler, Carol Ann.

That CholestOff is plant sterols.....I was going to try it, but my PCP INSISTED on Simvastatin. I think my LDL is so high because of the holidays also. Shrimp and baked goods made up my entire food intake in December. I'm hoping to get it down and get off of this drug.

Latest posts

Back