AVR on December 16th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the first hurdle, second to follow

Over the first hurdle, second to follow

Kurt came off of the heart and lung machine after 1.5 hours and did well with his surgery. The surgeon said his valve was very bad and had significant calcification. Dr. Baradian excised a section that was about the size of an adult pinky that led to his mitral valve. They throughly cleaned his heart to get rid of all the calcium they could. The next hurdle is when he wakes up. They will be checking to see if he had a stroke. The risk is still very low (2%). He had the 23mm ON-X installed.

Thank you for your continued prayers. I am waiting to go see him in SICU. I'll post later today. I'm doing well and eager to hold his hand.

Christine

Need a favor

Need a favor

I am unable to login to our care pages account. Can someone please post the following for me on our page:

Kurt is in SICU and doing well. His breathing tube is out and he is moving all parts of his body. He is communicating and it's mainly about his discomfort. He looks great for having just had open heart surgery this morning. His surgeon came by and said that Kurt is going to be just fine...music to my ears!!! He's in a lot of pain but once he is able to eat some jello tonight he will be able to have pain meds in pill form which will last longer. They are giving him shorter acting pain relief now so that his breathing doesn't become too shallow. I will probably post again in the morning. Thanks again for your love and prayers.
Christine

For our valvereplacement friends, We hope to hear how Rick and Doug are doing.

good to hear, he's on the other side.....GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mac, from the sunny shores of Lake Superior
AVR, single by-pass 11/19/09
Carbo-medics mechanical
Dr. Suri
Mayo Clinic

Kurt and Christine,
It is now the 19th. I haven't checked in in a while but have read all the posts. I am sure everything has gone fine and keep us posted on post op.

I actually met with my surgeon yesterday and an looking at surgery the first week on February.
Looking forward to hearing from both of you soon
Nick

Latest posts

Back