Artificial valve to homograph

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

Hi to whoever reads this! Hard to know where it fits. Been a member of Valve Replacement for a long time but had no problems for a loooong time. Had AOV in 1999 with St Judes. Take Coumadin and have cardio visits at least annually with Echo annually. Year ago Echo showed an aneurysm at ca 5.0 on aortic root. Saw surgeon and Echo redone 6 mos later with no change. Everyone relaxed a bit, was put on Atenolol. This year valve shows more leakage but no major change in aneurysm. Having cath and TEE at end of June to see if perhaps the aneurysm may be causing the valve leakage. If surgery imminent to correct aneurysm, cardio wants to change valve to tissue due to my age (a very young 66!). I have had symptoms of swollen ankles and feet and shortness of breath which has encouraged this closer look. So my last heart cath was a horrible experience...worse than the open heart! Major bleeding, etc. I am nervous about all of this! I am still working but plan to retire at end of year. Possible I will come home with more meds and. "See you next year" or like before with "we need to do this soon".

Any words of wisdom or thoughts of encouragement...experience?

Thanks!

Hi Susan, I don't have any experience to share, but I think the latest AHA guidelines increased the threshold for aneurysm repair to 5.5cm. However, this could be adjusted down based on body size. With luck, maybe you can have a bit more time and be able to retire on your schedule before having to go back for another operation. You'll find there are other folks on here who have had two or more operations, so you aren't alone.

The idea to change to a tissue valve makes sense if you wouldn't need to take Coumadin for any other reasons - then you can get rid of that hassle. The risk of bleeding events increase with age, but I believe that's more due to the risk of falling and the difficulty of someone going on the medication and complying with its challenges (testing). The compliance part wouldn't be a problem for you though, since you have plenty of practice. Your cardio probably didn't mean a homograph when he mentioned tissue valve, or did he say that specifically? The majority of people get either a porcine or bovine valve, and once in awhile horse or an actual homograph. The homograph is the hardest to come by.

Best of luck at your follow up appointment!

BTW, what does AOV stand for?

Hi! Thanks for responding! Good luck on your upcoming event as well! My aneurysm is at 5.0 so close and apparently came up fast. I am also a small person which does figure in as well. I should have said tissue instead of homograph...was late and I had been reading about them! Been on Coumadin/warfarin for a long time and the drill does make one weary. I would welcome no more blood tests! Not to mention the easy bruising. Yes, cardio concerned as we age, the hassle is not generally worth the other risks. Ha! AOV is a typo....AAV.... artificial aortic valve. I had a congenital bicuspid valve. Until now, no problems whatsoever with the StJudes or any other aspect of the surgery. Good luck next week! Let us hear how it goes!

Thanks, Susan. I'm winding down communication with the outside world to prepare myself. I'll be back afterward - hopefully to echo what other people have said about this not being quite at bad as they feared. :eek2:

Did you have any sign of an aneurysm before your original AVR?

Quick answer as I know you want to chill right now. Apparently it was noticed as a very small enlargement when I had my replacement surgery. Stayed that way until the last couple of years when it ballooned up. Take it easy and look forward to hearing about your successful surgery! Hang in there! It will be fine! Peace, Sue

Latest posts

Back