arterial line in neck 6 weeks post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurad37

ok so its been 6 weeks since the surgery. They sewed an arterial line into my neck for the surgery and it was removed the following day. I still have bruises and large marks on my neck from this and a whole lot of pain in my neck (literally). Has anyone had their arterial line placed in their neck rather than their groin?

Also and update on the death of my 33 yr old cousin. They did an autopsy and ruled it a heart attack. A healthy, non smoker, active in the army, trained every day. Was a staff sergeant and trained other military. That just scares me that one minute he's alive and as healthy as can be and then just like that. My family genes scare me. His father died of a heart attack at the age of 42. My brother had a major heart attack at age 38 (also, a fit, non smoker, in good health). My father had 2 heart attacks in the hospital before he died in Jan '09. I am really afraid of this now.

If you can see the autopsy report - that may help explain more. Too many times the words "heart attack" are used to describe something more complex. Check to see what his cholesterol was. There may have been some sort of electrical, or bundle branch issue that lay dormant. A healthy, active 33 y.o. would not die of a "heart attack", using the definition most people know that involves occluded arteries/veins, plaque etc.

A friend of mine had her husband drop dead on the racketball court at the age of 31. He had just had a company physical 3 weeks before. They found that his cholesterol was over 1000. So all family members were checked and had equally as elevated cholesterol. My friend's 4 y.o. daughter had one of 400. This was 20 years ago before cholesterol was routinely screened.

I'm sure your cousin's cholesterol has been monitored by his military physicals, but there has to be something more to his "heart attack". Since there's a family history of heart attacks at young ages, it would do everyone well, to sleuth out the reason.

I had both sites and they were both bruised and sore for a bit.I could feel the neck site while turning for quite a while. It's been 4 1/2 months and I can't even find the site with out really looking in a mirror. Have you tried heat? Wow that is a scary family history,we just have to take care of ourselves and hope for the best I guess...

I did text his sister to see if she could get a copy of it to explain more. Waiting to hear back. It's only been a week and a half since his death

I had both sites and they were both bruised and sore for a bit.I could feel the neck site while turning for quite a while. It's been 4 1/2 months and I can't even find the site with out really looking in a mirror. Have you tried heat? Wow that is a scary family history,we just have to take care of ourselves and hope for the best I guess...

I have tried heat, I have tried ice, pain meds dont work. I guess I will just have to deal with it for a bit longer. It is so uncomfortable and painful though.

First and foremost, I'm so sorry to here about your cousin!

I, too, had my line in the neck...and obviously from the looks of it someone had some trouble getting it in as my neck looked like it had been attacked by vampires or something! I'm 8 weeks out and I still have marks, as well as a bump. No pain though, surprisingly. I'd have someone look at it for sure.

Joe had that line in his neck quite a few times, once for a couple of days, while he was awake. It is a nuisance, and of course, like anything else that causes bleeding and bruising, it will be sore and a little swollen for a while. Your body has to heal things cell by cell. It just takes time.

I can assure you that all of Joe's neck wounds did heal up.

Just keep an eye on it, and if you see any new redness or swelling, call the doc and let them look at it.

Laura,
I had pain, bruising and swelling in my neck for at least 8 weeks. Everyday it subsided a little but not enough I thought to make me happy. Anyway, the heat and ice thing was OK. But I also used an health supplement called Arnica Gel. You can get it at a health store and it is a topical gel which helps with bruising and soreness. Might work for you.

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. Hope you can get some answers. If there is that much heart history in your family I guess it's time to start getting snoopy so you will know what might be in store for you and your young'uns. Hope you get better soon.:)

ok so its been 6 weeks since the surgery. They sewed an arterial line into my neck for the surgery and it was removed the following day. I still have bruises and large marks on my neck from this and a whole lot of pain in my neck (literally). Has anyone had their arterial line placed in their neck rather than their groin?

Also and update on the death of my 33 yr old cousin. They did an autopsy and ruled it a heart attack. A healthy, non smoker, active in the army, trained every day. Was a staff sergeant and trained other military. That just scares me that one minute he's alive and as healthy as can be and then just like that. My family genes scare me. His father died of a heart attack at the age of 42. My brother had a major heart attack at age 38 (also, a fit, non smoker, in good health). My father had 2 heart attacks in the hospital before he died in Jan '09. I am really afraid of this now.

I had an arterial line in the left side of my neck and never had any bruising or problems from it--BUT, I had a great deal of bruising and soreness from the line they ATTEMPTED to place in the right side of my neck. Immediately after my surgery, my family was asking me what had happened to my neck since it looked so bad. I couldn't see it and didn't even know what they were talking about. By the time I did get a look in a mirror, it was many shades of purple and blue and later faded to yellow and green. It took a good 8 weeks for the bruising to disappear, and even longer until I could comfortablly turn my head. I chalked it up to having my surgery at a teaching hospital and figured that I was used as someone's first project. While it was uncomfortable, I did survive it and I'm sure that you will find it getting better soon. Good luck!

Jane

well I am glad this is normal... i looked in the mirror and saw the same thing except mine didn't start hurting until about 2 weeks ago (4 weeks post op). I think that's why I got worried about it because it hasn't hurt at all until then.

Dear Laura, I think you should mention the pain to your doc if you haven't. Sending a big hug, Brian

Laura i think this is normal, have my scar on neck still visible
with a knot looking piece quite noticeable yet ...not sore
but still visable since Jan surgery,had my 1st 17 years ago in
my neck too,same spot and it too was far away visible but now the new
one from surgery is there it clears up in time from my experience.

zipper2 (DEB)

Back