Are you comfortable with your zipper?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INRtest

I had a funny incident happen on Sunday. I was very, very, very sick immediately prior to & then for 3-4 months post-surgery (08/17/04). Since that time I consider myself fairly healthy and I pass for
more-or-less , "normal."

I mean, other than a friend asking, that age-old question, "how are you? Boy were we worried about you...", then nobody knows that I have a clicking in my chest.

I had been out and around on Sunday. I went shopping, did some hiking, ran errands and enjoyed a nice day. When I got home late that afternoon, I noticed that my shirt was unbuttoned quite low and a somewhat unsightly scar was there out in the open. I've lived with this thing for 1 1/2 yrs. and now I'm becoming self-conscious???? Are you (self-conscious) ?

First time that I recall being self-conscious about this. I even went swimming on several occasions last summer and didn't even think about the scar.

Well, I can't speak from experience about this -- but the way I see is this. My son has had 2 OHS already and goes this June for the 3rd. We call his scar his zipper and his battle scar and he now proudly shows it off to anyone who wants to see it. I know there is quite a difference between an adult and my 2 year old. But I say, wear it proudly, its a momento of what you've been through and how greatful you are to be here today. Hope that helps a little. :)

Not hairy like an ape, but I do have Chest hair that covers alot of it. I also had Cabg and they took the artery from my left forearm. I worry more about the scar on my arm than my chest. Bad thing about having a hairy chest tho are the danged ingrown hair in the scar area. Go see a good tatoo artist and have him put a pull tab near the scar so it really looks like a zipper....Just be glad your alive and forget about the scar.:cool:

Not now

Not now

Jess I must say the first 9 months when the scar was red and very noticeable I didn't go swimming I didn't want to look like the extra from a "B" grade horror film and frighten the kids at the pool. :eek: After about 9 months it was hardly noticeable, what with the extra camouflage of a hairy chest. Now 18 months on from surgery it is very hard to see unless you know to look for it. :D I agree with Johnny the down side a hairy chest was the ingrown hairs for many months post surgery. :(

Go see a good tatoo artist and have him put a pull tab near the scar so it really looks like a zipper...

Johnny -- my family thinks I've got a screw loose, but I am actually "threatening" to get a big tattoo and to use my scar as the mast for a nice fast schooner or racing sloop. Even has the required rake to it :D .

I rarely think of it. Up until the last 3 years, my scar was pretty noticeable as some of it has keloided. Every now and then I would notice that someone was staring at my chest (sadly not because I'm so "healthy" in that area.:( ) and it would occur to me they were probably looking at my scar and thinking "Gee, I wonder what happened to her." I find it kind of amusing. I've often thought that it would be fun to come up with something silly to say to someone staring. "This is what happens when you don't practice good kitchen safety!" "My cat got mad at me." "I was abducted by aliens and they performed sick experiments on me."

My chest scar doesn't bother me, but the hole in my throat where I was trached does and it sticks out like a big red flag. Nothing I can do about it.

I've been fairly self-conscious about my scar. But it's faded so much that I've decided the heck with it.
I bought a beautiful silk skirt on sale earlier this month to wear to my nephew's college graduation next month. Hadn't found a sweater I liked to coordinate with it. I was looking for a 3/4-sleeve, ballet-neckline sweater (didn't want to show the incision!).
Ended up buying a brown sleeveless knit top with a long, slit neckline that does show a couple of inches of the incision.

I need to buy a new swim suit -- but I don't think I'll go for a bikini. Showing both the MVR scar and a 21YO scar from a hysterectomy would clear any lake or pool out in no time!

Ross said:
My chest scar doesn't bother me, but the hole in my throat where I was trached does and it sticks out like a big red flag. Nothing I can do about it.

Ross:
Get fashionable -- buy or make a couple of fancy ascots to wear around your neck!!!!!!

catwoman said:
I need to buy a new swim suit -- but I don't think I'll go for a bikini. Showing both the MVR scar and a 21YO scar from a hysterectomy would clear any lake or pool out in no time!

Everybody outta tha pool!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :p :p :D :D

I wear my "zipper" as the "badge of a survivor".

May God Bless,

Danny:)

Sue -- I was wondering about whether or not tattoos would be taboo in that area, and I would certainly get permission first from my surgeon. But it sounds like you've already seen something negative on it. No problem -- I am mostly just "all talk" and no action on stuff like this. Makes for a good story at a party though!;)

I had my first open heart surgery in 1976 when I was 17 years old and I was self-conscious of the scar for some time afterwards, as like any other seventeen year old it was just something else to be self-concious about. After a couple of years I got used to it and never thought about unless someone asked. I'm just home form my second operation this time to replace the aortic valve and have not even thought about the scar other than how good it looks. My four year old granddaughter asked if it hurts, I told her not at all.:eek:

Hi, does not bother me in the slightest, mind you I have a hairy chest, I think the docs take more care with the ladies though, noticed a young woman once in a v neck that had a razor thin line running up her sternum. I agree with the rest of the group, nothing to be self concious about.
Enjoy
Jd

tattoos

tattoos

Der Biermeister said:
I was wondering about whether or not tattoos would be taboo in that area, and I would certainly get permission first from my surgeon. But it sounds like you've already seen something negative on it.

Don't know if it goes the same for all, but our son's cardio already told us -- no piercings, tattoos, etc. for fear of blood infection that could be bad for his heart. Not that we were thinking of letting him get pierced at the ripe old age of 2 :D But once at a stampin up party (women out there I figure you'll know what that is) My sis and I worked together to get a spider stamp to hang directly of the end of his zipper -- just in time for Halloween!!!

Sometimes I figure you just have to look at life -- good and bad and just laugh at it.

The way I see my zipper is that it is better than the alternative. If people want to stare, well, have at it people. Better them staring at my scar that to be staring at me in a coffin.

Latest posts

Back