April 20th Surgery Date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seagal

I have been reading around the forum and gleaning very insightful information from the kind members here.

My beloved husband of almost 60 years will be going for pre-op orientation on April 15th, we understand a 4-5 hour visit, from labs to anesthetist discussions. We are as upbeat as we can be, looking forward to what he will be able to enjoy after the surgery. He only found out about his aortic stenosis in the last two months, so this has been quite a whirlwind. He has had no symptoms with the exception of being tired in the afternoon which he attributed to being 78 years old.

I haven't seen many threads with an aortic valve replacement & a coronary bypass in his age group, this is so scary!

So, thank you all for your information, and a prayer or two on the 20th & the week following will be gratefully accepted.

Hi

I think you being upbeat is both good and beneficial. There really is no reason not to be upbeat.

You haven't said anything (above) about the condition of your husband, is he strong for his age, is he a smoker, does he have any other issues (diabetes, history of bleeds or strokes...) so its hard to say anything concrete.

However assuming he's the "fit as a mallee bull (linguistic explanation here http://andc.anu.edu.au/australian-words/meanings-origins?field_alphabet_value=181) kinda old bugger then he'll be quite OK.

I'd expect that you'll pick one of the tissue prosthetic valves as in my view given his age that would be the most sensible. As a younger person (and I'm 52 and have had 3 operations to replace a valve) management of INR is simplified by not needing to be on any other drugs. I (again you didn't say, so I'll assume not) don't know if he's on any other medications but if he is then a tissue prosthetic will simplify that.

Coronary bypass surgery suggests that he's had a bit of an "unhealthy" diet in the past. Hopefully he'll change a bit ;-)

I'd say that he'll be up and around and bugging you senseless again in 5 weeks after the surgery and by 3 months you'll hardly know it happened.

Best Wishes

Thank you for responding. You have certainly had your share of surgeries and must be quite the expert by now.

Dh has had no health problems, does not smoke, no medications except for bp which is well controlled/managed. I didn't check your link, but he probably fits the bill!

He is very healthy, we have sailed our own boat in Mexico for six years and when we returned to the states, kept busy on the boat, which kept us both active. He walks and exercises every day and the last surgery he had was in 1959 for appendix removal.

They only found the blocked coronary artery when they were doing the ultrasound and then the heart cath.

The doctors can't believe he has never had any symptoms and it quite baffles them. He would not have known if it hadn't come up at his wellness check in January as a slight murmur which then progressed to needing a new valve, which then included the coronary artery.

Our diet is very heart healthy, no processed foods, no grains (gluten intolerance), potatoes (except sweet on occasion), he will have bread a couple of times a month. As you can see, we eat low carb, with lots of vegetables, salads, fruit, healthy fats, (no fake fat or vegetable oils) fish, chicken, ground meat. I can't imagine how his diet will be changed, but we will do what is necessary.

When discussing the type of valve with the surgeon, he chose the tissue valve.

I'm sorry if all this should have been posted in an introduction thread.

Hi

Seagal;n864437 said:
Thank you for responding

no problems ... happy to help

Dh has had no health problems, does not smoke, no medications except for bp which is well controlled/managed. I didn't check your link, but he probably fits the bill!

great ... that's good

When discussing the type of valve with the surgeon, he chose the tissue valve.

given all the factors mentioned I'd concur. I myself have a mechanical now, but 52 (and therefore 3 operations already done) it is an entirely different kettle of fish to your parameters

I'm sorry if all this should have been posted in an introduction thread.

pah no problems ... it all comes out in the wash :)

I just happen to be very detail driven and parameters like that are needed to make more intelligent guesses.

Best Wishes, and rest easy

I'm a week post-op, I can relate how I personally got through this:

It's an anxious time leading up to surgery, especially if you're experience with hospitals and doctors was limited and you were feeling little or no symptoms.

Give yourself a moment here and there to get emotional, alone or with someone.
Be receptive of all the good vibes and love energy that your family and friends send your way
Live life as you normally have up to the surgery
Eat drink and be merry
Remind yourself that your procedure is being done under the best of circumstances and there's a low risk of anything going wrong. These swinging-dick surgeons are never going to let anything happen to you because their egos wouldn't allow it. I say this with only respect to what these men and women do. Heart surgeries are routinely done all the time all over the world. If you had a rash or something they'd be dumbfounded, open heart surgery, no problem.
There are many things that are beyond your control, accept those, and concern yourself with what's in your control.

Post surgery

Anxious time is over!!!
The first day is the worse and each following day is markedly better
You'll be uncomfortable but not in pain
The things I was fearful of about surgery ended up being pretty much inconsequential
Don't watch television. All the ads are geared toward people with medical problems, it's depressing. A lap top with Netflix or something is better. My in-hospital triple feature: The Exorcist, E.T (never saw it). and Sunset Blvd. That's not a recommendation, Sunset Blvd is though. You won't feel like doing anything till the third day or so anyway.

I developed a strange analogy:

I wanted my surgery to be like my wedding. You only do it once and everything goes perfectly. And you know how weddings are for "everyone else"? There's a small truth to it with surgeries as well.
If you are lucky enough to have friends and family offer help or visitation be accommodating. You may find it exhausting at times but love and support are true gifts.

Good morning Seagal. My parents lived aboard for over 30 years on a 44-ft. Wooden hull Pacemaker. They piloted it down to Houston from NJ in 1978 but other than that didn't take it out much. I know how hard my dad worked to maintain it so I know your DH is in tip-top shape and except for this nasty old stenosis probably has the body of a man years, if not decades, younger. So I say not to worry :)
One thing he has in his favor that I didn't have is a devoted spouse by his side. My children were very supportive but they and friends don't take the place of a loving partner. I'm not complaining by any means, just pointing out a truth.
I am confident he will be fine but will certainly send prayers and positive energy your way. Where will he have the surgery?

Last edited:
heartburst;n864449 said:
I'm a week post-op, I can relate how I personally got through this:

It's an anxious time leading up to surgery, especially if you're experience with hospitals and doctors was limited and you were feeling little or no symptoms.

Give yourself a moment here and there to get emotional, alone or with someone.
Be receptive of all the good vibes and love energy that your family and friends send your way
Live life as you normally have up to the surgery
Eat drink and be merry
Remind yourself that your procedure is being done under the best of circumstances and there's a low risk of anything going wrong. These swinging-dick surgeons are never going to let anything happen to you because their egos wouldn't allow it. I say this with only respect to what these men and women do. Heart surgeries are routinely done all the time all over the world. If you had a rash or something they'd be dumbfounded, open heart surgery, no problem.
There are many things that are beyond your control, accept those, and concern yourself with what's in your control.

Post surgery

Anxious time is over!!!
The first day is the worse and each following day is markedly better
You'll be uncomfortable but not in pain
The things I was fearful of about surgery ended up being pretty much inconsequential
Don't watch television. All the ads are geared toward people with medical problems, it's depressing. A lap top with Netflix or something is better. My in-hospital triple feature: The Exorcist, E.T (never saw it). and Sunset Blvd. That's not a recommendation, Sunset Blvd is though. You won't feel like doing anything till the third day or so anyway.

I developed a strange analogy:

I wanted my surgery to be like my wedding. You only do it once and everything goes perfectly. And you know how weddings are for "everyone else"? There's a small truth to it with surgeries as well.
If you are lucky enough to have friends and family offer help or visitation be accommodating. You may find it exhausting at times but love and support are true gifts.

Gosh, thank you for the helpful information. The fact that you are one week post op and able to take to the time to give me suggestions is encouraging. I am glad your surgery went well and wish you a smooth recovery.

I haven't searched the forum yet, but does everyone go through cardiac rehabilitation or PT?

honeybunny;n864452 said:
Good morning Seagal. My parents lived aboard for over 30 years on a 44-ft. Wooden hull Pacemaker. They piloted it down to Houston from NJ in 1978 but other than that didn't take it out much. I know how hard my dad worked to maintain it so I know your DH is in tip-top shape and except for this nasty old stenosis probably has the body of a man years, if not decades, younger. So I say not to worry :)
One thing he has in his favor that I didn't have is a devoted spouse by his side. My children were very supportive but they and friends don't take the place of a loving partner. I'm not complaining by any means, just pointing out a truth.
I am confident he will be fine but will certainly send prayers and positive energy your way. Where will he have the surgery?

Thirty years as liveaboards? That is pretty amazing and I sure give credit to East Coast cruisers, they have a whole different set of navigation problems as opposed to the West Coast:) Yes, it does take a lot to maintain a boat.

Yep, I'm pretty devoted to this fella. Today we were talking about some of the things I have learned on this forum and he suggested I try not to ummm micro-manage his hospital visit and it isn't necessary to dot all the I's and cross all the T's. I need to watch this sort of thing, since he is more laid back and I want to know every detail.

He is having surgery at Kaiser Santa Clara Campus, surgeon is Dr. Marco Pompili.

Thanks for the prayers & positive energy!

Seagal;n864459 said:
I haven't searched the forum yet, but does everyone go through cardiac rehabilitation or PT?

Depends if you want to do it or not or if your cardiac teams think it is good for you or not. I skipped it but every case is different. My uncle who was 50 when he got his avr really enjoyed Cardiac Rehab and found it very useful.

Hi Seagal. I have several friends and/or neighbors who have gone thru OHS in their 70s....some with valves.....many with by-pass....and some both. All seem to be doing very well. You won't find a lot of us "seniors" on this forum. I guess it is because we are kinda in the pre-computer generation. I just turned 80 and have had an Aortic valve a long time and it hasn't really slowed me down. I volunteer with a national support group called Mended Hearts and visit heart surgery patients while they are still in the hospital post surgery. I am amazed at how quickly they recover and go home.......most after only 3-4 days post surgery. Cardiac Rehab was not around when I had my surgery but, from what I understand, it helps to get the patient "over the hump" physically......and will have your husband back on the boat in no time!!

Thank you Juliendu, that makes a lot of sense!

Dick 0236, Wow! you have had your valve for 50 years? Isn't that remarkable! What a testament to your medical team, lifestyle and general good health. Thank you for the helpful information. Your volunteer work sounds very inspiring and much needed I would imagine.

I know many seniors that are in the computer era, but my husband is not one of them, which is why I'm here to gather information. Actually, dear hubby is ready to sell the boat (me too), long distance multi-overnight passages no longer appeal to either of us. We were in the process of preparing her for sale when the need for OPS came about. He was going to postpone it until we sold her, but doctors and a little input from me persuaded him otherwise:)

honeybunny;n864452 said:

Amen to that sister!

Hi

Seagal;n864459 said:

there are a few posters here who have soundly recommended them and dismissed my attitude towards them (as being largely for slackers who lack any motivation and benefit from being booted off the couch and made to push themselves in a regime of exersize). Oddly enough both those people work in either cardiac rehab or are allied to it.

I don't doubt its efficacy however I'm big on self-motivation and have used various tools (such as a training watch with a chest strap) for some decades or so in my own traiing (cycling and later skiing). Exersize and healthy living as well as self observance (aka listening to your body) is relatively well developed. I assume these classes are aimed at people who lack all the skills I've just mentioned.

Myself I think that lifestyle is what does the trick. What you do must be lifestyle not just "fad".

I don't live in a land where the magic "sugar daddy" insurance pays for everything, so if I see something I evaluate it on a cost benefit basis. For myself following the surgeons advice of daily walking (and man he asked me about it every visit) combined with keeping track of my BP and HR both resting and during exersize (not the BP during exersize) I made a great recovery.

twice

YMMV

:)

I went with 36 sessions of cardiac rehab so I could be monitored as I slowly built up my strength and be immediately under medical care in the event something happened. i was not in good shape so that was a good route for me. I continued the program even when my deductible kicked in again this year and I had to pay $1500 out of pocket. But the nurses told me many people don't complete the program. Once they feel they are in a good place physically they stop. I never felt pressured to go the full 36 weeks.

I'm one of those who recommend cardiac rehab, if available. You get from it what you put into it, but at least they bring you back up to speed in a monitored environment.

I was 63 when I had my bypass, valve replacement and pacemaker implant. I had a number of unexpected complications in recovery - none that had the docs worried, just things that slowed recovery and made me feel less than good. I did the 36 sessions of rehab over 12 weeks, and went to my own fitness center on the days when I had no rehab session. I pretty quickly got back to where I had been, physically, prior to my surgery. So, for me, even though I was a dedicated gym rat (exercised 5 days a week for over 30 years), I still felt I needed that supervised "push" to get back on track. I'm now 5 years out from surgery, and feel better than I did for a couple of years before surgery. I've really never looked back.

Thank you all! My dh is a real go-getter and expects to be ahead of the doctor's recovery schedule, I expect so too. Good to hear your responses.

They have rescheduled the pre-op and surgery to the 20th and 26th (April). He will be spending my birthday in the hospital, we will share a glass of herbal tea and celebrate the best birthday gift of all (his quick recovery).

Latest posts

Back