Appreciatin' the Little Things

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOwl

This is kind of an Earth Day question. I spent some time this morning/afternoon out in my garden, snoozing away with my dogs under a tree. I realized that this is the first Earth Day of the rest of my life, or something corny like that--and I was rather seized with the wonder of it all.

Even though I'm not a believer in anything specific, I do appreciate the world and what it has to offer, even more so now than ever because I've dodged yet another bullet. That made me wonder how y'all feel about appreciating things both great and small as a result of your valve problems (whether solved yet or not).

My list: sleeping through the night (twice in two weeks!), the taste of a good cup of coffee (can't taste much of anything else yet), bird noises (especially owl sex outside my window in the wee hours of the morning; the male barred owls are vying for territory), and the gradual waning of chest discomfort, steadily, day by day.

How 'bout you folk (and happy Earth Day 2009)?

I agree the little things are the most important things in life. Besides going through this health problem I work in a large hospital where everyday I meet patients that make me appreciate everything I have. In fact I whenever I feel like having a little pitty party I meet someone else who puts it into perspective. Today I had a bad day because I realized I am slowing down significantly and I'm not the kind of person to just sit and take it easy. I'm scheduled for surgery in three weeks but it feels like an eternity I just want to be able to go, go, go....soon enough. Maybe I'll take your idea and take a nap out in the yard with the dog now that the weather is getting better here in Wisconsin.

Kris

Happy Earth Day to you too BigOwl. Now let's see, things I appreciate more since my surgery:

My family: Husband, daughter, SIL, son, almost DIL (who know when those two will tie the knot). Just the fact that my off-spring have each found someone who loves them for who they are (quirks and all). :cool:

I love the evening when the birds are saying goodnight and the early morning before the city noise gets in the way and the birdies are saying good morning.

Spending time with friends and family just talking and drinking lemonade. :D

I used to worry about what people thought of me, now not so much. :rolleyes:

My life is full of Little Things that mean alot......no more rushing around for me.
I'm happy sitting on my back deck watching the Geese on the river, the birds at my feeder,
my cat sitting under my chair catching bugs, it's peace and tranquility!

Wow I'm appreciated. +1 for Ross, BINA.

Oh that's not what she's talking about. :(

You folks are my entire reason for being.

No more rushing for me either...everything and anything can wait, except the good health -- mental and physical. So, I learnt to appreciate life more and not to take it for granted and to live the moment...not yesterday nor waiting for tomorrow...live NOW.

Happy earthday to you all.

Clicker, you're a veritable poet.

I know what you mean, too, about appreciating the age in which we live--without the medical advancements we tend to take for granted, many of us would not be here. I for one would have bought it at around the time I had the CABG (I had a "widowmaker"). The irony of it is, my main academic interest is in philosophy of technology, part of which involves examining technologies and what we give up in order to make them possible. Turns out that my utter dependence on medical science gives me a unique perspective and makes me a more thoughtful critic. I know full well what I owe. And to whom.

As I just posted elsewhere ... I really appreciate sneezing without being in excruciating pain. Also that I have a job that allows me to take the time needed to recover at full pay ... and insurance that paid for the surgery. Also that my parents are still around and were able to take care of me for a month. I certainly appreciate many other things but those are a couple.

As I wander around in our spectacular North Carolina spring, I marvel at the beauty of it all. I think I say it every year, but it seems like the dogwoods and azaleas have never been so lovely! May 15th will mark my first valversary, so I see it all with new eyes. In that time we've been blessed with the birth of the sweetest granddaughter in the world, Hannah- born 3 weeks after my AVR- and look forward to another grandbaby about the time of my actual surgery date. What a way to celebrate. Not everything is ideal, but pretty darn close. God is good!

Mazel tov, Ruthie: children reaffirm almost everything, and that grandbaby is a cutie.

Little Owl knows this story, so I can share it with y'all. When I found out, about thirty years ago, that my father was being scheduled for bypass surgery, I decided that he needed a bit of a boost, so I got pregnant. The timing was perfect, and we were already planning a second child, so a week later (thanks to the then state-of-the-art radioimmunoassay pregnancy test) I was able to announce to my Dad that a grandchild was on the way--just before he went in for surgery. Little Owl (30 in June) is that child, and she was the apple of his eye and helped to care for him in hospice before he died.

My son was also a gift in this sense. He was born only 3 months after his other grandfather died of a heart attack, and made the period much more joyful than anyone ever thought it could be. First grandchild, named after his grandfather--kind of the perfect balm for sore hearts of all kinds.

Awww thanks BigOwl :)

As for what little things I appreciate this Earth Day (well, actually the day after), here is my short list:

A certain 21mm mechanical valve that has been in a certain someone's heart for two weeks today, the simple pleasure of seeing the name "Mom" show up on my cell phone, and all of the support of fellow valve replacement forum members that have helped my favorite person through a very difficult time :)

Isn't she cute? I guess 21 mm. is kind of small . . .

And Mark--it could be worse: my uncle named one of his sons after his dog. (It was a really good dog, though.)

This is kind of an Earth Day question. I spent some time this morning/afternoon out in my garden, snoozing away with my dogs under a tree. I realized that this is the first Earth Day of the rest of my life, or something corny like that--and I was rather seized with the wonder of it all.

Even though I'm not a believer in anything specific, I do appreciate the world and what it has to offer, even more so now than ever because I've dodged yet another bullet. That made me wonder how y'all feel about appreciating things both great and small as a result of your valve problems (whether solved yet or not).

My list: sleeping through the night (twice in two weeks!), the taste of a good cup of coffee (can't taste much of anything else yet), bird noises (especially owl sex outside my window in the wee hours of the morning; the male barred owls are vying for territory), and the gradual waning of chest discomfort, steadily, day by day.

How 'bout you folk (and happy Earth Day 2009)?

Bigowl,nice post and as ann stated we appreciate so much
after surgery,and alot more i say after 2nd surgery.
i was still a rusher after 1st surgery,17 years ago old habits
hard to break,then i got (rereminded) if such a word lol
jan.22 now i could care less about anything hindering or botherin
me .......even the fact i can't work anymore,it bothered me
at first.I've gotten to enjoy everything life offers and all god's plan
and all his beautiful reminders why i'm still here.
Luv your thread;)

zipper2 (DEB)

The world is an amazing place ..
How about the blue of our atmosphere echoed in the glassy water of a lake or deep within the heart of a glacier?
The shades of pink in a daughter's cheek, the red of a blushing young man as you ask him how long he's really really liked this girl...

The sun, daisy centres, daffodils; each shade of yellow only slightly different from the others, an orange that is. Life is just a rainbow and I sing that I'm allowed to enjoy it.

Take heart.

Latest posts

Back